• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Is Strauss & Tresco opening the right way to go?

Which combo would you go for?

• Tresco & Strauss - if it's not broken don't fix it

Votes: 15 48.4%
  • Tresco & Cook - let the skipper come in later

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Strauss & Cook - Tresco can face the spinners

Votes: 9 29.0%
  • Other - maybe Harmy & Monty should open?

Votes: 7 22.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
BoyBrumby said:
I think he meant KP @ 5 & Fred @ 6 worked well, TBF.
I did indeed. Poor ambiguous wording on my part. I would apologise, but it was only steds who misunderstood, and he's a woolyback anyway.

Steulen

International Regular
:D

For the record, keep Mr. Concretefootick and Strauss as opening pair. They're doing well, even if Trescothick went through a lean patch last series.

Monty shouldn't open, it'd compromise his slip fielding too much.

PhoenixFire

International Coach
Personally, my top 7 would be like this.

1)Trescothick
2)Bell
3)Strauss
4)Collingwood
5)Pietersen
6)Flintoff
7)Read

I choose this because I think that although Cook has made a good showing with the bat in his early career, he hasn't got enough guts to cope with it when the chips are down. For example, he looked completely clueless, when (in my opinion) a very average Leg Spinner Kaneria, was giving it some rip. I bet Shane Warne was really licking his lips at the chance of bowling to a rookie Leftie, bowling it into the rough.

Barney Rubble

International Coach
PhoenixFire said:

1)Trescothick
2)Bell
3)Strauss
4)Collingwood
5)Pietersen
6)Flintoff
7)Read

I choose this because I think that although Cook has made a good showing with the bat in his early career, he hasn't got enough guts to cope with it when the chips are down. For example, he looked completely clueless, when (in my opinion) a very average Leg Spinner Kaneria, was giving it some rip. I bet Shane Warne was really licking his lips at the chance of bowling to a rookie Leftie, bowling it into the rough.
It's not like Bell's an experienced opener, though. I can sort-of understand the logic in dropping Cook (although it's a big call, and a very theoretical one) but the logic in playing Strauss at three and Bell as an opener is baffling.

Personally I've no problem with Tres & Strauss - if it ain't broke....

PhoenixFire

International Coach
I know it might not be the best proof, but whenever bell has opened in ODI's he has always seemed, to do well, and ever since the ashes '05 he has looked good against the swinging and seaming ball, he also looks to have a better defensive technique to Cook too.

Barney Rubble

International Coach
PhoenixFire said:
I know it might not be the best proof, but whenever bell has opened in ODI's he has always seemed, to do well, and ever since the ashes '05 he has looked good against the swinging and seaming ball, he also looks to have a better defensive technique to Cook too.
Fairly sound logic in principle, but I'm not sure it would work in practice.

Steulen

International Regular
If Trescothick is indeed suffering from depressive arthritis, the selectors' hand may be forced. I'm guessing Cook will then replace Tresco at the top of the order.

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
greg said:
Tresco isn't nearly as good against spin as some people try to make out. He can be effective on occasion, but that should be seen in the context of him rarely getting to face them under pressure and before he has played himself in with a useful score on the board.
Absolutely right. Even last summer there were plenty of occasions when Warne quickly removed him after he had made a good start, so I really don't fancy Tres having to start against SW. If he plays, he should open. It's not as if he's ever played in the middle order, IIRC.

As for Cook, we'll see. We know he's not incapable of playing legspin after he made that huge hundred against McGill last summer and his debut test ton against Kumble. Obviously Warne is another matter, but I don't see it as a certanty that he'll fail horribly. Not that he'll be starting very often against Warne anyway.

greg

International Debutant
PhoenixFire said:

1)Trescothick
2)Bell
3)Strauss
4)Collingwood
5)Pietersen
6)Flintoff
7)Read

Don't agree with this at all. There may be signs that Cook's technique against spin could be a bit suspect, but I don't see how anyone could question his temperament/"guts".

valvolux

Cricket Spectator
greg said:
Don't agree with this at all. There may be signs that Cook's technique against spin could be a bit suspect, but I don't see how anyone could question his temperament/"guts".
he reminds me of jaques rudolph..ie dead boring but hard to get out once set. He should go grab a copy of day 5 aus vs sa at the waca recently where rudolph batted out the day against warne where there was some hefty rough and turn. Mind you he made no attempt at making runs in that innings....but if his only weakness is spin, and since we only have one spinner, maybe he should just look to score every second over and leave the scoring to KP if warne hasn't already snaffled him in the slips.

I think Cook will go well against mcgrath for some reason...because of his boring nature. He will leave outside off until the cows come home. Like anyone pidg eventually gets frustrated and puts it on the stumps...and from what i've seen he's pretty good against a straight ball. But against a 95mph brett lee yorker he will be found wanting on the evidence from the last couple of **** tests. edit: since when has P.aki been a swear word?

Loots

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
1. Trescothick
2. Strauss
3. Cook
4. Collingwood
5. Pietersen
6. Flintoff
7. Read

I wouldn't play Ian Bell. I can't imagine his game having improved so drastically from the 2005 Ashes series - And though he's obviously a good talent, his big weakness - edging the ball - will be more ruthlessly exploited by McGrath or even Clark. But he's only out of the team because I think that Pietersen comes in too high up the order - He should be in at 5 with Flintoff coming in behind him, as GIMH said earlier there was no issue last Summer of there not being a buffer between KP and Fred. And Bell at No. 4 just doesn't work, he is a great number 6 batsman, but not so good at four I don't think.

My two cents anyway.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
I'm still advocating Monty & Harmy opening. It's the only way Monty will get the ton he deserves

Johnners

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
GeraintIsMyHero said:
I'm still advocating Monty & Harmy opening. It's the only way Monty will get the ton he deserves
:cool: tbh i wish you were the english coach

tooextracool

International Coach
PhoenixFire said:
The only time Bell has opened in Test cricket(on the India tour) he struggled miserably and was pushed down the order by the end of the tour. Like ive said before hes a strokemaker, and stroke makers are always going to struggle at the very top of the order in test match cricket.

tooextracool

International Coach
Loots said:
I wouldn't play Ian Bell. I can't imagine his game having improved so drastically from the 2005 Ashes series - And though he's obviously a good talent, his big weakness - edging the ball - will be more ruthlessly exploited by McGrath or even Clark. But he's only out of the team because I think that Pietersen comes in too high up the order - He should be in at 5 with Flintoff coming in behind him, as GIMH said earlier there was no issue last Summer of there not being a buffer between KP and Fred. And Bell at No. 4 just doesn't work, he is a great number 6 batsman, but not so good at four I don't think.

My two cents anyway.
I think its the first time ive heard anyone state that someone's weakness was edging the ball. Anyways, i think even in the Ashes 2005 the signs were there that he could be a pretty good player, but just wasnt temperamentally upto it( His dismissal at TB providing a perfect example), but i think hes improved on that aspect of the game since.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
tooextracool said:
The only time Bell has opened in Test cricket(on the India tour) he struggled miserably and was pushed down the order by the end of the tour.
No he wasn't - he opened in the last game of the series.