• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Is Shivnarine Chanderpaul an ATG test batsman?

Is Shivnarine Chanderpaul an ATG test batsman?

• Total voters

Coronis

Cricketer Of The Year
It’s not the YouTube video it’s just a curiosity to look back at a Teams history and want to see who is their best XI.

CricketFan90s

U19 Captain
I'll admit I was pushing back at certain posters saying not rating Chanderpaul as ATG is something contrarian nerds say. That is just obnoxious sanctimony and annoys me greatly. You're on a cricket forum, no ****ing wonder people nitpick players. And it's not a consensus position here but people genuinely do argue that strike rate is irrelevant altogether (hence Viv being retrospectively underrated by some). I've never said that Shiv's not an exceptional player, just that his stats do flatter him massively. And the way he got em certainly wasn't ATG worthy for me.
You are right in saying the way he got them wasn’t ATG worthy

CricketFan90s

U19 Captain
Chanderpaul is difficult to judge as we don’t know how he could have done if he played for a strong team. The problem is he never spoke much in the media, never a good leader, not a part time bowler, just did batting at No 5 after Lara and did not have any positive influence in building a strong team. Lara had the reputation to make a draw against Strong Australian Team 2-2 single handedly which Chanderpaul never accomplished against any strong team. He was a boring character at the end of the day.

Bolo.

International Vice-Captain
I'll admit I was pushing back at certain posters saying not rating Chanderpaul as ATG is something contrarian nerds say. That is just obnoxious sanctimony and annoys me greatly. You're on a cricket forum, no ****ing wonder people nitpick players. And it's not a consensus position here but people genuinely do argue that strike rate is irrelevant altogether (hence Viv being retrospectively underrated by some). I've never said that Shiv's not an exceptional player, just that his stats do flatter him massively. And the way he got em certainly wasn't ATG worthy for me.
I don't think criticising his record outside of stats is nitpicking. This isnt some analysis by checklist situation.

There is nuance to SRs. Nobody with more than 3 firing neurons will argue that a genuine number 11 should most typically score faster at the same average, or that Shiv should most typically have scored slower.