• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Is James Anderson an ATG test bowler?

Is James Anderson an ATG test bowler?

• Total voters

Molehill

International Captain
Avg of 26 is as good as 24-25 when someone has had a career as long as him. He has played twice as long as other greats. I am sure within his whole career, you would find a long enough phase/mini-career (which would constitute an entire career for another great) where Anderson is averaging early 20s. So his career already contains ATG levels.
Literally, from the age of 35 to now....

Anderson 233 wickets, 22.57 (65 Tests)
Cummins 269 wickets, 22.53 (62 Tests)

It's ridiculous that he's all but re-created Cummins entire career from the age of 35 onwards!! That's ATG on its own without the other 470 wickets to go with it.

_00_deathscar

International Regular
Literally, from the age of 35 to now....

Anderson 233 wickets, 22.57 (65 Tests)
Cummins 269 wickets, 22.53 (62 Tests)

It's ridiculous that he's all but re-created Cummins entire career from the age of 35 onwards!! That's ATG on its own without the other 470 wickets to go with it.
That ignores his awfully low WPM

Fuller Pilch

Hall of Fame Member
only on cricketweb can the 3rd highest test wicket taker of all time not be considered an atg in definite terms and i say this as someone who memes on Anderson
Why?
Are any of the 4th, 5th, and (currently) 7th highest (Kumble, Broad, and Lyon) considered ATGs?

Cook finished 5th in runs and could've easily got to 2nd behind Tendulkar if he'd kept playing and yet falls short of being an ATG.

I personally think Anderson ticks enough boxes now, but I can see why it is questioned.

ma1978

International 12th Man
Why?
Are any of the 4th, 5th, and (currently) 7th highest (Kumble, Broad, and Lyon) considered ATGs?

Cook finished 5th in runs and could've easily got to 2nd behind Tendulkar if he'd kept playing and yet falls short of being an ATG.

I personally think Anderson ticks enough boxes now, but I can see why it is questioned.
Anderson is first amongst pace bowlers and by such a wide margin none of your other comparisons are relevant

If Kumble had 900 cricket at his final average he would be an ATG

Son Of Coco

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Of course he is. You only have to look at some of the ‘No’ voters for affirmation. Burgey. Son of Coco. Shady. Shri. It’s like a Who’s Who of Insecure Chips on the Shoulder when it comes to Jimmy.

There will never be another like him but those named above will continue to live in denial for many years to come
I hope he plays until he's 70. He might manage a decent tour of Australia (as well as enjoy some apple pie and custard at one of the local nursing homes).

ImpatientLime

International Regular
can see why english voters would think so. bloke was the leading seamer on away wins in australia, india and pakistan. not bad going.

numbers and bull**** rhetoric aside, the one thing i really enjoy about him is he can swing the ball either way at his own choosing. such a weird and rare ability.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Why?

I think purely because of how hard physically it is to be a seam bowler over any period of time it surely differentiates it from those who’ve accumulated runs over such a long period of time.

Molehill

International Captain
Sure, but if you switch the number that represents his average with the one that states his age...then he's pretty poor.
And if you judge Bradman on his last innings he's a forgotten figure in the world of cricket.

In about 50 years time they'll be asking how the **** a seamer got to 700 Test wickets.

Son Of Coco

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
And if you judge Bradman on his last innings he's a forgotten figure in the world of cricket.
As he should be.

In 50 years time, Jimmy will only be 91. No reason to think he won't still be rolling the arm over given how much he clearly hates being at home*.

* When he's not bowling, of course.