• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Is Jadeja the most underrated cricketer going?

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
what holes can you pick in his record to downgrade him on?
I love Jadeja - as I said a few posts ago I think he's a great of the game - but I think there are a few factors that kind of inflate his stats a bit. He's an absolute gun but he's not actually 36/24 gun.

- Plays 60% of his Tests at home
- Home conditions very well suited to the type of player he is
- Regularly left out when conditions aren't in his favour (although a bit less so lately)
- Recent batting average not really reflective of his actual impact/value on matches given he usually bats around 7

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
I love Jadeja - as I said a few posts ago I think he's a great of the game - but I think there are a few factors that kind of inflate his stats a bit. He's an absolute gun but he's not actually 36/24 gun.

- Regularly left out when conditions aren't in his favour (although a bit less so lately)
- Recent batting average not really reflective of his actual impact/value on matches given he usually bats around 7
Those are all true to varying degrees but so is the fact that he has had great stats when rest of the Indian batting have been horrible and that matters as much, if not more, than all of those factors.

Line and Length

Cricketer Of The Year
what holes can you pick in his record to downgrade him on?
Averages 25.94 with the bat and 43.26 with the ball in England.

Batting in W.I. is ordinary (ave 24.25) as is his bowling in N.Z. (60.60)

Players such as Warne and Lillee have been downgraded because of their performances in certain countries. It's only fair that Jadeja undergoes the same sort of scrutiny.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
England is actually decent for a spin bowling allrounder given the normal batting and spin bowling averages there.

Windies is bad but I also think its lol sample size, soz.

CricAddict

Cricketer Of The Year
Averages 25.94 with the bat and 43.26 with the ball in England.
I actually expected it to be worse. For a bad record to be hand-picked, it is actually not that terrible imo compared to the bad records of few other atgs.

But yeah he has to improve on that record.

srbhkshk

International Captain
NZ should honestly not even be talked about when discussing a spinner, if a spinner does well there then more power to him, but if a team can go ahead and drop a guy who just took 10 wickets in an innings it's probably not a place where you expect too much from your spinners.

ankitj

Hall of Fame Member

Stopped reading after but. Nothing good comes after but.

OverratedSanity

Request Your Custom Title Now!

I mostly agree but the "left out when conditions don't suit" point is brought up for both ashwin and Jadeja. They're just left out for each other so I'm not sure it's a stick I'd use to hit both. Feels unfair.

Even Warne and Murali would be occasionally dropped if they were both in the same team.

_00_deathscar

International Regular
Not a chance he’s the most underrated cricketer anymore
There are still people who think he shouldn't be in the LO and/or test teams in specific conditions etc. He should be the second or third name on the sheet after Pant and possibly Rohit.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
I mostly agree but the "left out when conditions don't suit" point is brought up for both ashwin and Jadeja. They're just left out for each other so I'm not sure it's a stick I'd use to hit both. Feels unfair.

Even Warne and Murali would be occasionally dropped if they were both in the same team.
Yeah I'm not saying the very fact that he doesn't always play is actually a black mark against him; I was just pointing out that it helps his averages a bit.

If Warne and Murali were both in the same team they'd likely both have better bowling averages due to occasionally being dropped when conditions weren't going to suit them.

_00_deathscar

International Regular
However, one game doesn't equate to ATG. Garfield Sobers appears on that list 6 times (and Mushtaq Mohammad 3 times).
And Imran Khan and Kapil Dev aren't on it at all and Botham, Kallis and Hadlee are on it only once. Chris Cairns is on it twice, as is Steve Waugh.

So this means what?

_00_deathscar

International Regular
Yeah I'm not saying the very fact that he doesn't always play is actually a black mark against him; I was just pointing out that it helps his averages a bit.

If Warne and Murali were both in the same team they'd likely both have better bowling averages due to occasionally being dropped when conditions weren't going to suit them.
True - but the dropping thing is valid for pre 2019/2020 or whatever. Since then he's only been injured, not dropped. And we really should have been playing him more since he started hitting form some time in 2016. Obviously maybe not immediately, but certainly since 2017 or so.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
And we really should have been playing him more since he started hitting form some time in 2016. Obviously maybe not immediately, but certainly since 2017 or so.
Yeah I think that's true as well, but if he hadn't been injured and had been selected more etc I think he'd probably have a slightly worse overall record due to which games he's actually missed.

_00_deathscar

International Regular
Yeah I think that's true as well, but if he hadn't been injured and had been selected more etc I think he'd probably have a slightly worse overall record due to which games he's actually missed.
His bowling (away) might have been worse but his away record would have improved I think. He's been a very good bat for a while now - and as per other thread, averaging 30-something is massive these days. Especially since we've had a bunch of people taking up spots averaging in the 20s for a while.

He also sadly missed out on cashing in at home vs England last year - Axar did great with the ball though. Would have been very useful for us down in South Africa too.

By the way, his home/away split reads like this:
Overall
Home
35 tests
1,431 runs @ 43.36
171 wickets @ 20.41, 4.9 WPM

Away
22 tests
908 runs @ 30.26
69 wickets @ 33.56, 3.1 WPM

Since 2017

Home
18 tests
872 runs @ 58.13
81 wickets @ 20.95, 4.5 WPM

Away
14 tests
619 runs @ 38.68
48 wickets @ 29.95, 3.4 WPM

CricAddict

Cricketer Of The Year

Haven't checked it but what did the windies 80s team do on spinning pitches? Did they still play all of Marshall holding Roberts and Garner?