• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Is it Really That hard to become a international cricketer?

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
cricket player said:
Playing it badly?

If I wont make to cricket but I will still have The guts to challange any one like your self and still come on top,
Yes, playing it badly. I play it badly, kwek plays it badly, the vast majority of the forum members play it badly. By that I mean any player with an ounce of true class will have no difficulty in dealing with.

And being better than me is no achievement. I am talentless.

benchmark00

Request Your Custom Title Now!
cricket player said:
Playing it badly?

If I wont make to cricket but I will still have The guts to challange any one like your self and still come on top,
Youre making a fool of yourself... Let it go.

cricket player

International Debutant
Neil Pickup said:
Yes, playing it badly. I play it badly, kwek plays it badly, the vast majority of the forum members play it badly. By that I mean any player with an ounce of true class will have no difficulty in dealing with.

And being better than me is no achievement. I am talentless.
And dealing with some one like cricket player is weaste of time,

I am really sorry mate :)

Top_Cat

since we're all being pedantic,i believe venkatesh prasad only started playing cricket at 17 and dravid only started when he was 12.and well players like mark richardson switched to batting extremely late.
Curtly also took up pace bowling late I believe. Still, like any theory, there are always going to be examples which fly in the face of it.

Basically, most cricketers in Australia follow the same basic trend; if you show promise at a young age, you're fast-tracked into higher grades. Unless you're seriously physically advantaged, this won't happen until you play, say, U/16's level. Once you hit that level, clubs take a serious look at you and if you're REALLY good in U/16's, they might look to put you into the seniors early (C or B grade; D-grade is usually for those who just plod for the club but without really good form, won't play higher). If you do well in C or B grade, you might get thrown into the A-grade. This is usually where players' talent levels are well and truly looked at and acknowledged and people then ask the question, "Can he do it week in/week out?".

So time is spent at the A/B grade level finding that out. If a player can match it CONSISTENTLY with the seasoned players, people start thinking a bit higher and state second XI is a possibility. Once you break into that, again, people look for consistency (the talent is well known by then). If, again, you consistently do well at that level then you might get a state game. From there the process is pretty well known but changes a bit. You have to keep doing well despite not looking like making the international side or having to wait your turn because the side is doing well. Must be a more frustrating time after promotions were the norm for a few years but if one is lucky, you could be the very type of bowler or batsman the Test selectors are looking for!

Basically, it's about consistent performances at all levels more than raw talent unless you have talent in the area higher-level teams are deficient in. There are plenty of talented cricketers out there but not many who can do it in, say, 3 out of 5 consecutive matches.

a massive zebra

International Captain
Top_Cat said:
Still, like any theory, there are always going to be examples which fly in the face of it.
Not all theories have exceptions. What about the theory that everyone will die at some point? There will not be any "examples which fly in the face of it." And I could think of many other theories on top of that.

Last edited:

Top_Cat

Not all theories. What about the theory that everyone will die at some point? There will not be any "examples which fly in the face of it." And I could think of many other theories on top of that.
Err, dying is a biological fact, not a theory..........

And yes, there are always examples which fly in the face of a theory. A theory, by definition, allows for that. Just try to think of a theory which has no counter examples and I'll prove you wrong. If it was definitively not able to be countered, it would no longer be a theory by definition.

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
cricket player said:
Why are you so sure that i will not make it? :-O
Frankly you should keep on playing cricket, giving in your best effort and not think why you wont make it. You should think you might make it. People who have made it are made of blood and flesh, same as you.

Example 1 : Sachin Tendulkar showed emmense dedication and worked on his cricket as much as he could, even staying at his uncle's because the ground would be closer from there, playing 2-3 matches a day when possible, practising even after a hard day's cricket.

Agreed Tendulkar was the most gifted of cricketers but his work ethic is some thing you can only learn from and try and emulate. Dont ignore your studies but play as much as possible

Example 2 : Saeed Anwar never played cricket seriously till he was in college! So forget the examples of Graeme Hick. Remember its never too late to start. Keep trying

One thing which would help would be to be a very good student of the game. Read the art of cricket by Don Bradman if possible, keep talking to coaches, fellow players and seniors to improve your skills.

You may not make it and there would be no shame in that. A lot of great West Indies players played little or no cricket for the West Indies during the era of the pace quartet. A similar situation is prevelant in Australia right now.

Keep trying and keep enjoying the great game. You should aspire to make it to the national team. And aspiring that, you should be more serious on your cricket than what you are and improve your dedication levels. If you dont make it after that, doesnt matter, you would have learnt a lot of skills of an excellent game. :)

cricket player

International Debutant
Pratyush said:
Frankly you should keep on playing cricket, giving in your best effort and not think why you wont make it. You should think you might make it. People who have made it are made of blood and flesh, same as you.

Example 1 : Sachin Tendulkar showed emmense dedication and worked on his cricket as much as he could, even staying at his uncle's because the ground would be closer from there, playing 2-3 matches a day when possible, practising even after a hard day's cricket.

Agreed Tendulkar was the most gifted of cricketers but his work ethic is some thing you can only learn from and try and emulate. Dont ignore your studies but play as much as possible

Example 2 : Saeed Anwar never played cricket seriously till he was in college! So forget the examples of Graeme Hick. Remember its never too late to start. Keep trying

One thing which would help would be to be a very good student of the game. Read the art of cricket by Don Bradman if possible, keep talking to coaches, fellow players and seniors to improve your skills.

You may not make it and there would be no shame in that. A lot of great West Indies players played little or no cricket for the West Indies during the era of the pace quartet. A similar situation is prevelant in Australia right now.

Keep trying and keep enjoying the great game. You should aspire to make it to the national team. And aspiring that, you should be more serious on your cricket than what you are and improve your dedication levels. If you dont make it after that, doesnt matter, you would have learnt a lot of skills of an excellent game. :)
Thanks pratyush

Top_Cat

How to play Test cricket for your country;

If you're a batsman, score lots of runs.

If you're a bowler, take lots of wickets.

Let the other stuff worry about itself.

:)

The message is; KISS (Keep It Simple, Stupid).

deeps

International 12th Man
i made 549 when i was about 9! in a 5 day one day match! took one 5 for back when i was about 9 as well, including a double hat-trick (4 wickets in 4 balls) playing for teh school. Also made a highest score of 83 for school somewhere around that age as well.

Though the competition at that age was really poor so it doesn't mean too much. Heck, this season i only managed one score about 50 (52:()

Son Of Coco

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I think you just need to realise that the level you eventually have to reach is generally exceptionally high CP. There's certainly no harm in trying, but it's about being prepared to put the effort in day after day training for hours to sharpen skills required. The guys you're talking about are very, very good. There's even an exceptional difference between a formerly decent cricket you might play on his way out of state teams etc and players who are currently there, so the leap again to test cricket is massive.

Go for it though if you want to do it, there's only one way to find out. You'd have to be prepared to set a training schedule that is geared towards eventually being in the upper couple of bowlers/batters in each division you play, and expand on that as you rise up through the ranks, especially given your current location - although if you make it to the top division over there you'd have a number of ex-international players to judge yourself against from what I understand of the situation in the US.

Blaze

Banned
Lol.. he is decent some of the time.

Interesting that Andrew Mehrtens (NZ's greatest ever first five eight IMO) was kept out of his schools rugby first 15 by Geoff Allot the former NZ cricketer

cameeel

International Captain
if you're so sure you can make it for the USA CP, why discuss it here and get told you're wrong and hopeless the entire time?

cameeel

International Captain
Top_Cat said:
How to play Test cricket for your country;

If you're a batsman, score lots of runs.

If you're a bowler, take lots of wickets.

Let the other stuff worry about itself.

:)

The message is; KISS (Keep It Simple, Stupid).
wow, such helpful advide :D

cricket player

International Debutant
cameeel said:
if you're so sure you can make it for the USA CP, why discuss it here and get told you're wrong and hopeless the entire time?
I am not hoep less The season has just started and I am doing well,I have taken 6 wicket sofar playing 3 matches,There is 29 team and each team plays 16 matches and usaca will be looking closely to find the future talent and support them and give them training and I'll probably if not will make it to the under 19 team,but I have long way to go I am 15 and I am working hard cameeel but if their is any chance of playing internationla cricket it is in usa and if not I'll probably move to england :)