• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Is Ashwin an ATG spinner / player?

subshakerz

International Coach
Given the amount of players who get spoken of as ATGs, I doubt that it's as high as you want to claim. Hence why people are calling it out as ridiculous.
I view ATG as a very select group.

Which spinners other than Murali and Warne from the last 50 years are ATG bowlers?
None of them except those two maybe. I consider there to be around 10 to 12 ATG pacers, the rest are regular greats. So for spinners we are talking 4 to 6 at best who make that grade.

On CW, anybody who is popular gets branded an ATG.

Last edited:

OverratedSanity

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Yes and until you, nobody acknowledged my olive branch. What does that say about who is stubborn and who is not?
What olive branch ffs? I have no quarrel with you, I have a quarrel with your piss poor arguments. Funny thing is, I dont event think Ashwin is an ATG as a bowler (closer as a cricketer, though). And also, I admit I'm very stubborn about one specific thing which is praising Ashwin for his 2020 Australia tour because I genuinely believe it was as good a series as you can get from a spinner in those conditions and yet he doesnt get due credit for it because of arbitrary parameters like 5fers.

subshakerz

International Coach
What olive branch ffs? I have no quarrel with you, I have a quarrel with your piss poor arguments. Funny thing is, I dont event think Ashwin is an ATG as a bowler (closer as a cricketer, though). And also, I admit I'm very stubborn about one specific thing which is praising Ashwin for his 2020 Australia tour because I genuinely believe it was as good a series as you can get from a spinner in those conditions and yet he doesnt get due credit for it because of arbitrary parameters like 5fers.
The fifer thing is a career criticism overall for SENA performance, like a batsman missing a ton in those conditions.

I already gave him credit for the 2021 tour. Stop bleating about something we agree on.

Last edited:

Coronis

Cricketer Of The Year
The fifer thing is a career criticism overall for SENA performance, like a batsman missing a ton in those conditions.

I already gave him credit for the 2021 tour. Stop bleating about something we agree on.
You should never muck about with those who cannot bleat.

loterry1994

International Debutant
I’d say his good not great. Spinning conditions in India just crazy. Same reason I don’t put Jimmy Anderson up amongst the great fast bowlers way too favourable for their home conditions

_00_deathscar

International Regular
I’d say his good not great. Spinning conditions in India just crazy. Same reason I don’t put Jimmy Anderson up amongst the great fast bowlers way too favourable for their home conditions
While this gets trotted about a lot, Ashwin has won more games for India than Jimmy Anderson has for England, despite favourable conditions for both. Same goes for Jadeja too.

Assuming a 50% home game rate, if you as a spin duo are winning like 80-90% of your games (which at some point they were), then that’s an insane amount of games won. Up there, or even more, than the Windies and Australia great teams.

That’s why they’re rated that highly - they’re absolute cheat codes at home.

If either/both were also doing that abroad, nevermind Marshall and co, these two would be the greatest bowlers in the history of the sport. They don’t do that abroad, that’s why they’re not and are merely lowest level ATG/high level ATVG as bowlers (but certainly ATG cricketers), depending on how you want to classify it.

number11

State 12th Man
I view ATG as a very select group.

None of them except those two maybe. I consider there to be around 10 to 12 ATG pacers, the rest are regular greats. So for spinners we are talking 4 to 6 at best who make that grade.

On CW, anybody who is popular gets branded an ATG.
For me an ATG means you are a viable candidate for selection into an alltime test XI - at least a 2nd XI. It is a very high bar. Many era greats, or country greats. A select few are true ATGs.

Ashwin is not an ATG. A country great - yes.

number11

State 12th Man
With my bar, the following are ATGs [by country - please add as required].

West Indies:

Headley
Sobers
Lara
Viv
Marshall
Ambrose
Holding
Walcott

Pakistan:

Imran Khan
Wasim Akram

India:

Tendulkar
Gavaskar

NZ:

Hadlee

England:

Hobbs
Hammond
Hutton

(In my opinion tbh they are not viable but the weight of historical opinion wins out)

Botham
Knott
Trueman

Sri Lanka:

Murali
Sangakarra

Other countries to follow.

ataraxia

International Coach
I just think the game has moved on far too much and the players of that long ago era would struggle with the professional era. They were great in their time and I respect that.

Can you seriously imagine Hobbs facing Ambrose?
Players are weighted by their time on CW, not by how actually skilled they are. Walcott would be at best a low 40s averaging bat today, but we don't care.

_00_deathscar

International Regular
With my bar, the following are ATGs [by country - please add as required].

West Indies:

Headley
Sobers
Lara
Viv
Marshall
Ambrose
Holding
Walcott

Pakistan:

Imran Khan
Wasim Akram

India:

Tendulkar
Gavaskar

NZ:

Hadlee

England:

Hobbs
Hammond
Hutton

(In my opinion tbh they are not viable but the weight of historical opinion wins out)

Botham
Knott
Trueman

Sri Lanka:

Murali
Sangakarra

Other countries to follow.
By your very own measure, Holding isn’t an ATG if we’re saying it’s a player that would be in serious contention for a second ATG XI