• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Is Ashwin an ATG spinner / player?

Bolo.

International Vice-Captain
I am not arguing Ashwin is rubbish in SENA. He has been poor in SA, decent in England and good recently in Australia. I also think he was robbed of a good opportunity to get a standout performance in England in 2021 when he was not selected.

Just arguing his record as it stands shows a conspicuous lack of standout away performances in SENA that you would need to qualify as an ATG. I think we agree. The fifer thing is just a signpost of wicket taking ability. Even a long spell one would be at least something to hold your hat on.
In SENA, his role in a team with excellent quicks, is not to have standout performances. It is to have consistently good ones. Admittedly, he hasn't had very consistently good ones, but that is called being a finger spinner in SENA. Even Murali didn't manage this.

I'm less opposed to analysis by checklist than most posters on this site. I have no problem with you disqualifying a guy who averaged almost 40 in SENA on this basis. I might do it myself. Honestly, I think that almost everyone, even those who think that Ashwin is an ATG, would not be too opposed to it. People just get annoyed by the rigidity with which you do it, and the degree with which you beat particular players for micro statistical flaws in their records. I say this as a person for whom stats are >>> observations, so I really should be on your team.

trundler

Request Your Custom Title Now!
. I say this as a person for whom stats are >>> observations, so I really should be on your team.
He also claims peer reputation is hugely important for rating cricketers because we shouldn't be reading stats off a spreadsheet so it really is the worst of both worlds.

That said, the only fan base he hasn't pissed off so far is the Aussies and I'm very keen to see how that will unfold.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
He also claims peer reputation is hugely important for rating cricketers because we shouldn't be reading stats off a spreadsheet so it really is the worst of both worlds.

That said, the only fan base he hasn't pissed off so far is the Aussies and I'm very keen to see how that will unfold.
Wait for the Pak tour of Aus :p

subshakerz

International Coach
Have you considered that rating a handful of games over the vast majority is a stupid idea for any sensible fan? Or that the reason that there are only a handful of opportunities for spinners to seal a game in SENA is largely down to SENA pitches being doctored against spinners and for pacers?
No, I am not basing it entirely off that. But standout performances are important.

In SENA, his role in a team with excellent quicks, is not to have standout performances. It is to have consistently good ones. Admittedly, he hasn't had very consistently good ones, but that is called being a finger spinner in SENA. Even Murali didn't manage this.

I'm less opposed to analysis by checklist than most posters on this site. I have no problem with you disqualifying a guy who averaged almost 40 in SENA on this basis. I might do it myself. Honestly, I think that almost everyone, even those who think that Ashwin is an ATG, would not be too opposed to it. People just get annoyed by the rigidity with which you do it, and the degree with which you beat particular players for micro statistical flaws in their records. I say this as a person for whom stats are >>> observations, so I really should be on your team.
We all do 'analysis by checklist' to a certain extent, but this really isn't that case. I treat it the same as I would for a bat who never scored a ton in SENA and posters hype up as an ATG. It's a red flag.

CricAddict

Cricketer Of The Year
@subshakerz hope you are not a teacher irl. You will be such a tough taskmaster for the kids. If a kid excels in cricket, you will also ask him to top the grades in studies (not just one subject, all the subjects) and vice-versa for you to rate any kid. 😀

Shri

Mr. Glass
@subshakerz hope you are not a teacher irl. You will be such a tough taskmaster for the kids. If a kid excels in cricket, you will also ask him to top the grades in studies (not just one subject, all the subjects) and vice-versa for you to rate any kid. 😀
if he is a teacher irl none of his students will pass statistics

Daemon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Let me be more charitable here then.

Ashwin in the first half of his career genuinely struggled as an overseas bowler. However, he did improve as he went on, adding more skills and use of bounce and angles from the crease, and this coincided with India becoming a better team. He was decent overall in England and good in Australia towards the end. And it is fair to say that the team management should have showed him more faith in some of these tours. He was also unlucky that several of his better performances coincided with India losing too.

While he still struggled in places like SA and in certain key match situations when he should have run through a team away from India, overall it is also fair to say that more confidence in him as was the case with other champion spinners could have yielded better results. Overall, his away record may deny him the ATG title but he was still a valuable away member for India in their glory years.
Your only good post in this thread

subshakerz

International Coach
Well then if you aren't basing it all on that then why is it the only argument you're making here? And this doesn't address the second part of my post regarding conditions.
Because ATG is a very high standard so even one of these criteria can't be unfulfilled. Capiche?

Xix2565

International Debutant
Because ATG is a very high standard so even one of these criteria can't be unfulfilled. Capiche?
Given the amount of players who get spoken of as ATGs, I doubt that it's as high as you want to claim. Hence why people are calling it out as ridiculous.