• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Indian Premier League

slugger

State Vice-Captain
The ICC is close to finishing its first round of future tournaments programme I understand this finishes in 09-10 .. this is probably the best opportunity for the ICC to re-structure the international calendar to accommodate the IPL .. I believe they have to give the IPL room to move.. if they treat it like some minor domestic comp with international flavor .. they will really effect small countries like SL, WI and NZL

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
The 80 players country wise:

India: 30
Australia: 13
Sri Lanka: 11
South Africa: 10
Pakistan: 7
New Zealand: 5
West Indies: 3
Zimbabwe: 1

Kolkata as talent from 6 international teams. Mumbai has no Australians (which has nothing to do with Harbhajan being in their team. ;) )

slugger

State Vice-Captain
it would have been funny if Symonds and Harbhajan were in the same team....then the whole thing would have staarted to look like wwf or is it wwe well it was wwf when i was a kid...lol

jeevan

International 12th Man
Indian cricketers are much more marketable in India and thus more pricey. Also, as teams can play just 4 foreigners in their XI, star Indian players are more in demand from that perspective as well.

Ponting's price fizzled because he would miss games as he would be touring Pakistan and the restriction on number of Aussie players teams can have imposed by CA.

The auction went round wise which meant a lot depended on the budgets the teams had at that point as well. For instance, Jayawardene went for a lot of money which wouldn't have been the case had he not been in the first group of players auctioned imo.

David Hussey was a surprise but he has scored a 60 ball hundred, is an Aussie player, Aussie players tend to do very well in domestic cricket (just look at English county cricket). Two or more teams may have gone into a bidding war over Hussey elevating his price.

Zaheer Khan v Ishant - Ishant is a hot commodity right now while the novelty factor about Zaheer isn't there. This is not to comment on either's cricketing ability as Zaheer is one fine bowler.

Some of it doesn't make sense (I don't get why Dinesh Karthik went for so much but it might again be a result of a bidding war between two franchises) but a lot of it does where I am concerned. It is simplistic to say, as some have said in this thread and all over India that it is just marketability which means a player demands a lot of money. Various teams look at getting different things from different players, and so while you may not have over a million mark if you aren't marketable to the Indian public, you can fetch 0.50-0.75 million if a team thinks that you can serve specific need(s) the team has.
I can stretch my brain to understand how Kaif > Younis, Ishant > Zaheer, Raina > M Hussey for the IPL in terms of valuation. What I cannot fathom is the universe in which Kaif = 3X Younis, Ishant = 2X Zaheer and Raina = 2X M Hussey etc.

Except Mohali (which picked Sanga, Mahela,Yuvraj, Sarwan for batting and Lee, Irfan,Sreesanth,Chawla, Powar for bowling and Katich as all rounder and appears to be a surprisingly balanced team), the other teams appear to be a random collection of individuals.

jeevan

International 12th Man
The 80 players country wise:

India: 30
Australia: 13
Sri Lanka: 11
South Africa: 10
Pakistan: 7
New Zealand: 5
West Indies: 3
Zimbabwe: 1

Kolkata as talent from 6 international teams. Mumbai has no Australians (which has nothing to do with Harbhajan being in their team. ;) )
How come there are none at all from England? County contracts are violated by IPL?
Also BD is missing representation, at one time Mashrafe looked like he could walk into the Indian XI (not any more).

NZTailender

I can't believe I ate the whole thing
Ponting clearly loves T20, as seen from his comments last year:

"I've never been a big fan of Twenty20 cricket,...the international calendar is packed these days and on top of that Twenty20 cricket won't do much for the players."
So just because he said something last year doesn't mean he can change his mind? Ridiculous.

Laurrz

International Debutant
so who do you guys think was the biggest steal
for me, Styris, Gul, Langer were big scalps for H'Bad, Kolkata and Jaipur respectively

i dont think Delhi will win, but i like the bowling attack of McGrath and Asif... how good is that... Asif idolised Pigeon and would be great for him to bowl with pretty much his own reflection!

Perm

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
All you people who insist upon pissing on the IPL, will you just **** off? It's T20IBS all over again, except with ****tier arguments. If you want to moan and whinge, make a thread and do it there. Let people who are interested in this tournament discuss it here.

howardj

International Coach
All you people who insist upon pissing on the IPL, will you just **** off? It's T20IBS all over again, except with ****tier arguments. If you want to moan and whinge, make a thread and do it there. Let people who are interested in this tournament discuss it here.
Why? It adds flavour to an otherwise vacuous discussion.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
so who do you guys think was the biggest steal
for me, Styris, Gul, Langer were big scalps for H'Bad, Kolkata and Jaipur respectively

i dont think Delhi will win, but i like the bowling attack of McGrath and Asif... how good is that... Asif idolised Pigeon and would be great for him to bowl with pretty much his own reflection!
Ponting was a steal at his price, imo, compared with the prices paid for some others. Everyone knows what he can do to an attack, and he's a top shelf fielder as well.

Perm

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Why? It adds flavour to an otherwise vacuous discussion.
Because the thread would be much better off without the rubbish you continually spout about the IPL. We understand you don't like it, some of us do and you're basically just trolling.

Last edited:

Davey

School Boy/Girl Captain
I'll tell ya what

Cameron White and David Hussey are valued quite well

How happy must they be they'd be getting a massive massive salary rise out of this

I guess its a credit to the domestic scene in Aus too, these players are so highly valued even though they have little international experience under them

sideshowtim

Banned
Ponting was a steal at his price, imo, compared with the prices paid for some others. Everyone knows what he can do to an attack, and he's a top shelf fielder as well.
There is a chance that Ponting won't even get to play in the tournament, so I think it's a fair price for him.

And considering Lee and Symonds might not get to play in the tournament, they are massive rip offs.

This is of course in terms of what they will give the team on the field. I have no dobuts they're worth their money in terms of marketability and the support all the respective players will attract.