• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Indian Domestic Season 2016-17

Arjun

Cricketer Of The Year
The season has already started and two matches are finished. All games are being played on neutral venues, but beyond largely empty stands, the impact on the games hasn't been much- or hasn't been there at all. We have a new team on the block- Chhattisgarh, captained by Mohammed Kaif. In what may be a questionable move, Jalaj Saxena has shifted from Madhya Pradesh, a decent but under-achieving Group A/B team, to Group C strugglers Kerala- only because Kerala has a poor record! He seems to have realised there's no chance for him to make the Indian side (which is unfortunate, because Ashwin isn't quite the one you'd have as all-rounder, and Jadeja is far from perfect, while Jalaj opens the batting for his team), and Kerala also has Mumbai's oft-ignored spinner Iqbal Abdulla. And the balls are pink! Or vermillion, maybe?

It's been a good start for Mumbai, Punjab, Odisha, Jharkhand, Delhi and Rajasthan- but Delhi, right now (as I type), are in trouble against Karnataka, and in rather disappointing circumstances, have lost too many wickets for too few to Aravind Sreenath, a bloke who's in and out of the Karnataka side. Right now, ignored again by the national selectors, Pankaj Singh and Ishwar Pandey are in the top three bowlers, with Chhattisgarh's Ajay Mandal, playing his first season, already leading the pack. It's early days in batting, given the very odd top ten that we're seeing.

Arjun

Cricketer Of The Year
Maybe because they feel either more venues can be given a chance for Ranji players to play in, or they can eliminate home advantage completely, due to home curators setting up "win the toss, win the game" pitches.

fredfertang

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
When I read your post I did wonder whether this was done deliberately drive down the popularity of the First Class game so that less of that and more of the shorter formats could be brought in, but then maybe I'm being paranoid - but if I wanted to kill off the County Championship I'd make Lancashire play Yorkshire at Taunton and Middlesex play Surrey at Headingley

Arjun

Cricketer Of The Year
The next day sees some very explosive action at Lahli. This ground has a record of holding matches that end within three days, and that one between Railways and Gujarat won't be very different.

Maharashtra conceded a lead after scoring 600. Now Saurashtra are feasting on their bowling, at 657/8, with Jaydev Shah scoring a double.

MP all over Mumbai, UP all over TN, Bengal with a tight grip on the game against Punjab.

Jharkhand spinner Shahbaz Nadeem snatched a thin lead over Rajasthan. Almost single-handedly.

When I read your post I did wonder whether this was done deliberately drive down the popularity of the First Class game so that less of that and more of the shorter formats could be brought in, but then maybe I'm being paranoid - but if I wanted to kill off the County Championship I'd make Lancashire play Yorkshire at Taunton and Middlesex play Surrey at Headingley
FC cricket still has its faithful fans, who will fill the grounds once the teams are stronger and there's more time to spend at the ground. But the motive of such a strange move would largely be to prevent teams like Maharashtra from inching ahead on first-innings leads and Haryana from blasting ahead in low-scoring 2-day games at Lahli. The organisers' attempt at demolishing the comfort zone.

Last edited:

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
If they really are concerned only about pitch preparation, why not insist on neutral curators? Like maybe the curator of Mohali can come in and lead the preps at Bangalore, for example...

Daemon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
If they really are concerned only about pitch preparation, why not insist on neutral curators? Like maybe the curator of Mohali can come in and lead the preps at Bangalore, for example...
They'd have to keep rotating though, to avoid curators naturally favouring their adopted home ground/team over time. Bit of a logistical nightmare having them travel all around alone and meddling with pitches that they're not very familiar with.

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
Quite pissed with the neutral venues thing. Enjoyed watching Bengal matches at home last few years. This sucks.

Shri

Mr. Glass
India's keeping options post Saha looks great:

Rishabh Pant
Ishan Kishan

Kishan just scored 273 with fourteen sixes in an ongoing match and Pant scored a triple ton a game or two back, and a quick hundred yesterday. Unmukt Chand also scored a hundred for Delhi.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
I would love to see MSD give up the T20I format and let Pant come in there, to see what he has got. Him being left handed makes it even more awesome for us.

CricAddict

Cricketer Of The Year
Pant gets the fastest Ranji hundred today. Will be interesting to see who among Sanju, Pant, Iyer and Sarfaraz get fast tracked into the Indian team.When Ind play SA, we can see de kock getting caught by pant.

vcs

Pant gets the fastest Ranji hundred today. Will be interesting to see who among Sanju, Pant, Iyer and Sarfaraz get fast tracked into the Indian team.When Ind play SA, we can see de kock getting caught by pant.
Haha this never gets old :D

SeamUp

International Coach
What has happened to Unmukt Chand and Sanju Samson. Remember India use to fast-track 19-20 year-olds from u19s ?

That little bat for Mumbai should be playing domestics as well by now ? Sarfraz ?

Shri

Mr. Glass
Samson is not very good and Chand struggles in FC cricket as an opener. Might be a good replacement for Vijay in a few years if he sorts his **** out.

SeamUp

International Coach
Samson is not very good and Chand struggles in FC cricket as an opener. Might be a good replacement for Vijay in a few years if he sorts his **** out.
Crazy. They were tipped as the next big things and I noticed they aren't killing domestics like the 3 king-pins Kohli, Pujara and Rahane seemed to do.

I know KL Rahul is 24 but it seems that 20-24 age brackets is a bit quieter than in previous years gone by.

Daemon

I've asked before and didn't get a response, but where the **** has Vijay Zol gone? Had a **** season and then just vanished.