• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Indian Cricket Dhaba

Best thread name

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

cnerd123

likes this
I don't even know how a spinner's rhythm can even be accurately gauged in a 4 over spell in a format where everyone is looking to smash every ball for six. And if we try Bhajji instead of another young spinner now, only to throw Karn/someone else into a test against SA/SL, it's going to be stupid and risky. Doesn't it make more sense to show faith in a young bowler through this BD series with the assurance that he has a chance against SL/SA as well?
Nah spinners aren't like that. If all our best spin talents are <25 years old, they are bound to get taken apart in the Tests. Throwing them in the deep at this age will ruin them. Longranger and Pratters have a point:

I'm not so sure it's as awful as what people are making it out to be. It's a one-off test, in the sun-continent and Harbhajan can trouble the left handers. It's obviously an issue that they haven't seem to have found out a second spinner - Karn, Kuldeep, Ojha, Mishra all seem to not be first XI quality. But perhaps we can get a good year out of Bhajji while the others - particularly Karn and Kuldeep - improve.
Ojha Mishra and Chawla have failed. There is no other seasoned spinner who is calling for selection. The best talents - Karn, Kuldeep, Bharghav - are all really young. Why not squeeze a year or two of reasonable performances out of Bhajji and let them mature in Ranji? We've got a decent enough pace attack now to play 3 quicks 1 spinner outside of India, and at home Bhajji can do the job Jadeja was doing but better. Jadeja gets to play Ranji too and work on his game.

Makes sense actually. As long as they don't take Bhajji on tour. And if he fails, they can just go back to Jaddu.

Daemon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Pragyan Ojha failed? He took 10 wickets in his last Test match. I understand he has a remodelled action now but come on.

longranger

U19 Cricketer
So what are we looking at playing vs BD?

1. M Vijay
2. S Dhawan
3. C Pujara
4. V Kohli (*)
5. A Rahane
6. R Sharma
7. W Saha (+)
8. R Ashwin
9. B Kumar
10. H Singh
11. I Sharma

Is that the likely XI? I assume we'll play 2 frontline spinners in Ashwin and Harbhajan. The two pacemen will probably be Bhuvi (often the best) and Ishant (the 'spearhead'). I'm not sure Aaron or Umesh's pace is required here.

My only concern is that Rohit Sharma is the type of player to do better at the top of the order and not really as the last main batsman where he will often have to bat alongside tail-enders. Just like how he scores big 100s in ODIs, I think Rohit would do better at perhaps 1 or 2 down than 4 down.

Since Kohli isn't moving (and shouldn't), how about swapping Rohit and Pujara? Try Rohit as an aggressive #3 a la Ponting. Don't need to keep Pujara there just because he resembles Dravid. Your thoughts?

longranger

U19 Cricketer
I've been reading a lot of people expecting KL Rahul to open. I don't think he's ready yet and Dhawan can definitely have a good year ahead with Tests in the sub-continent.

cnerd123

likes this
Rohit is better at 6. You want to rely on your top 3 to set a platform and your number 6 should be counter-attacking and a good downhill skier and Rohit is both of those. He'll suck when it comes to rebuilding tho. I'd actually prefer KL Rahul cause Saha has a solid attacking game to him, but if Rohit plays he has to be at 6.

I guess that XI is more or less how it will pan out.

Niall

International Coach
I've been reading a lot of people expecting KL Rahul to open. I don't think he's ready yet and Dhawan can definitely have a good year ahead with Tests in the sub-continent.
He got a century in his last test against Australia, so he definitely has a chance to start. Dhawan is a strange one, at best average abroad, but in Asia you do feel he could be a mini Sehwag type beast,

Rohit batted at three last test as well and got a decent fifty in the second innings, but I do think he will bat at six this time.

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
Rahul is really fine. Is a beast in the subcontinent as well. Will be disappointed if he doesn't play.

harsh.ag

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I want Rahul ahead of Dhawan too. Not gonna happen though, one feels.

Tbh, I don't mind giving Mishra another go ahead of Bhajji. But whatever, at least we got Sir out of the side.

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
The last few days have seen a lot of furor over Lalit Modi on twitter. I have no idea why and I don't want to know either. With Indian news channels always searching for the next sensational popcorn news to hide/not bother with the actual news stories, this is perfect masala, I guess.

longranger

U19 Cricketer
Interesting team for Zimbabwe:

Rahane (C), Vijay, Rayudu, Tiwary, Jadhav, Uthappa, Pandey, Harbhajan, Axar, Karn, Kulkarni, Binny, Bhuvneshwar, Mohit, Sandeep

I'll go with:
Vijay
Uthappa
Rayudu
Rahane
Manish
Binny
Axar
Harbhajan
Sandeep
Bhuvi
Kulkarni

I reckon Binny and Axar will be expected to contribute as decent lower order batsmen.

Daemon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Good to see the Karnataka bois all get a gig

Wonder if they'll open with Rahane or try to improve his middle order game.

cnerd123

likes this
I don't get the Vijay selection - we already have 3 good ODI openers why are we trying out a fourth? I guess he's just there to get some cricket under his belt.

Love the selections of Jadhav, Uthappa, Pandey and Sandeep tho.

longranger

U19 Cricketer
I hope we can find a good #6 batsman out of this. Dhoni seems to be nailed on for #4 (where he's likely to get you a run-a-ball 50 often) and Raina will take #5 leaving a spot open for a big hitter. Manish Pandey / Robin Uthappa / Kedhar Jadhav can all look to make that position their own.