• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Indian Cricket Dhaba

Best thread name

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Dhoni had 3 of the main pacers that Kohli uses available to him, he also had an experienced Zaheer and a few others who are nobodies now but were considered talented at that time.

Why did those pacers not improve under Dhoni? What structural change happened in Kohli's regime that was not available in Dhoni's or even Ganguly's reign?
Hey I am sure Sreesanth and Munaf being lost was structural too. Kinda weird how the structural issues have gone away coincidentally when Virat was captain. I am sure the irrational haterz bandwagon has some reason worked out for that too.

CricAddict

Cricketer Of The Year
I mean, Bumrah himself has talked about not playing FC cricket in 2017 with an eye on being unleashed in the SA series as a red ball bowler. There have been multiple interviews of Bewda and Virat talking about Bumrah as a test match bowling option through 2017. But sure, lets credit the selectors and MI who I am sure were very concerned about his red ball prospects.

If Bumrah the test bowler is a MI find, I think we should also call Hazlewood the test bowler a CSK find. :p
Huge difference. Foreigners are bought by the franchises based on their performances in their country. So many players like Bumrah were scouted and identified by the franchisees and groomed by them at the start while the hard work itself was done by Bumrah himself.

So, giving an interview equates to developing a person?

CricAddict

Cricketer Of The Year
Hey I am sure Sreesanth and Munaf being lost was structural too. Kinda weird how the structural issues have gone away coincidentally when Virat was captain. I am sure the irrational haterz bandwagon has some reason worked out for that too.
There is no hate at all for Virat here. We are just saying that the biased love is unfounded.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Huge difference. Foreigners are bought by the franchises based on their performances in their country. So many players like Bumrah were scouted and identified by the franchisees and groomed by them at the start while the hard work itself was done by Bumrah himself.

So, giving an interview equates to developing a person?
No, actually planning and executing said plan equates to developing a player's potential. FWIW, Bumrah had played both red ball and white ball cricket before MI and was part of the MRF Academy well before MI. MI scouts were not the first ones to identify him or develop his potential.

Shri

Mr. Glass
bumrah also credits malinga and zak for taking him under their wings and looking after him as a bowler all the time

doesn't credit ****ing koach

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
bumrah also credits malinga and zak for taking him under their wings and looking after him as a bowler all the time

doesn't credit ****ing koach
Zak was not with MI before 2018 and again, he has clearly talked about the 2017 season and him not playing FC then and practicing red ball bowling while on tours with India LO sides. Of course he does not credit MI either. He talks about how he was identified even before that in multiple interviews.

CricAddict

Cricketer Of The Year
No, actually planning and executing said plan equates to developing a player's potential. FWIW, Bumrah had played both red ball and white ball cricket before MI and was part of the MRF Academy well before MI. MI scouts were not the first ones to identify him or develop his potential.
Yes, in that case, credit the bowler and the MRF Academy too. Not Virat and Bewda.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Yes, in that case, credit the bowler and the MRF Academy too. Not Virat and Bewda.
I m not crediting them for his talent. I am crediting them for knowing how to use his talent and ensuring he was ready before he was thrown to an international debut, which is how we wasted many a fast bowler in the 00s.

Noumenon

U19 Vice-Captain
So there has been no structural change in Indian cricket over the last 10 years in terms of talent scouting, pathways and most importantly incentives. And we have our worst/poorest batting line-up in many many years. And yet, somehow, we have mostly been ranked number 1 the last 7-8 years.

The difference, we have learnt, is the ape from west delhi being in charge.

cnerd123

likes this
the fact that we even had pace bowling talent to burn away a decade ago is often overlooked. That was a success of the early efforts made to develop more quick bowlers. The influx of Pathan, Sreesanth, Munaf, RP Singh, etc was a bit of a golden generation of quick bowling talent, but poorly managed because the Indian National setup never actually had those sorts of resources to manage before. Lessons were learnt and now we better manage our quick bowlers. So now that a new generation of talent has cropped up we're actually able to manage them well.

Structural issues still exists. Like, all our best young batting talent still end up batting in the Top 4 in FC and Top 3 in List A stuff, which means we consistently struggle to find really good middle order options. We still can't regularly produce reliable slip catchers. Our selectors are still way too loyal to experienced players, which makes transitioning much harder. Our current middle order all debuted internationally a couple of years too late, and it feels like our next generation of middle order bats will suffer the same fate.

We're also not great at backing players who fail the eye test, even if they have the numbers to justify their position. We don't use JAMODIs/JAMT20Is effectively to build towards World Cups. There is still an obsession with young players - if you haven't played for India before your mid 20s, you'll probably never get picked, despite your domestic successes.

Still a long way from perfection, but the story of our pace bowling stocks is one of a lot of hard work, a lot of investment, and is a great success for all those involved.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
T20I debut aged 23, played for India A at 24

basically you got to be in the set-up at some level before 25/26, otherwise it's unlikely you'll get a look in, even if you dominate domestically.
Depends on the competition for the place as well. SKY is a good example.