• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

India is No.1 in World test cricket!

AaronK

State Regular
I think it is even more impressive that they did it without a solid opening bowling attack.
Yes i agree.. the fact that their team was unbalanced and despite that they acheived it has to be considered a milestone.... they had this amazing batting line up comparing to a very ordinary bowling (specially fast bowling) line up.. so again it was their batting that did it..

i am looking at this.. how strong this team could be?

1 Sehwag
2 Gumbir
3 Dravid
4 SRT
5 Laxaman
6 Yuvraj
7 Dhoni
8 Aamir (pakistan)
9 Gul
10 Asif
11 Kaneria/ Ajmal

Cruxdude

International Debutant
Yes i agree.. the fact that their team was unbalanced and despite that they acheived it has to be considered a milestone.... they had this amazing batting line up comparing to a very ordinary bowling (specially fast bowling) line up.. so again it was their batting that did it..

1 Sehwag
2 Gumbir
3 Dravid
4 SRT
5 Laxaman
6 Yuvraj
7 Dhoni
8 Aamir (pakistan)
9 Gul
10 Asif
11 Kaneria/ Ajmal
:laugh:

subshakerz

International Coach

1 Sehwag
2 Gumbir
3 Dravid
4 SRT
5 Laxaman
6 Yuvraj
7 Dhoni
8 Aamir (pakistan)
9 Gul
10 Asif
11 Kaneria/ Ajmal
I would swap Kaneria for Harbi and and Yuvraj for Yousuf. That side would dominate.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Given ENG too much credit there. SRI definately ahead, even with Murali in decline.

Solid top 3 with IND/AUS/SA it is. With each side likely to beat each other at home.
They beat the all-mighty Aussies bud :)

Dissector

International Debutant
Before this series I would have put SA slightly ahead of India. But beating SL by an innings twice in a row in the sub-continent is a remarkable achievement so now I think I would put India a bit ahead so basically I think they deserve the no. 1 spot for now.

It's pretty special as an Indian fan to be able to say that in the long and glorious history of test cricket there was an Indian team which could reasonably claim to be best in the world. This is doubly so because the future of test cricket is so uncertain.

Last edited:

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
They beat the all-mighty Aussies bud :)
Yea by fluke. Unlike the 2005 Ashes win, one can't say that ENG are potentially on the up. ENG have alot of problems espeically in the bowling with Flintoff gone.

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
How was it a fluke?
The two test AUS lost where they collapsed (Lord's & The Oval 1st innings respectively) where due to poor batting by them, instead of any special bowling from ENG.

AUS dominated more sessions, scored more hundreds. Unlike 2005 ENG bowlers never owned AUS batsmen technically at any stage.

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
The two test AUS lost where they collapsed (Lord's & The Oval 1st innings respectively) where due to poor batting by them, instead of any special bowling from ENG.
But you still don't fluke win a series if the opposition has played badly...

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
AUS dominated more sessions, scored more hundreds.
Dominating more sessions or scoring more 100s doesn't mean you deserve to win a series.

Unlike 2005 ENG bowlers never owned AUS batsmen technically at any stage.
You are on very thin ice. One can argue 2005 was lucky given McGrath's freak injury but the last Ashes series win was hardly a fluke win.

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
But you still don't fluke win a series if the opposition has played badly...
Yea West Indies did it to you guys in 2002. ENG beating SA 4-0 in an ODI series 2008, it happens..

Dominating more sessions or scoring more 100s doesn't mean you deserve to win a series.
Yea it does IMO. I cant remember a series where a team scored so much more hundreds than a team & still lost.

Plus with all the issues the AUS bowlers had. They still managed to keep the feeble ENG batting (without KP) in check, when instead ENG should have run away with the game in many sessions.

You are on very thin ice. One can argue 2005 was lucky given McGrath's freak injury but the last Ashes series win was hardly a fluke win
That would arguing on hypoteticals. Fact is he got injured so be it, AUS have played series againts tough opposition without McGrath & won before. Most famously in SRI 04 3-0.

Fact is AUS batsmen where owned technically in 05 Ashes by the ENG pacers. Eng played the better cricket then & deserved to win not AUS. The same cannot be said about 2009.

Especially given ENG came into the Ashes losing to SA, IND & WI. AUS had won it SA. Those fortunes show more AUS inconsistency in recent times, rather than anything special from ENG.

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
Let's just say I disagree with you. I find your claim that it was a fluke highly dubious. Mostly you don't win 5 test series by 'fluke'.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Yea by fluke. Unlike the 2005 Ashes win, one can't say that ENG are potentially on the up. ENG have alot of problems espeically in the bowling with Flintoff gone.
Of course we're on the up. After the 05 Ashes we were actually on the way down (not that we knew that for a little while).

At the start of this year we were in disarray. Now, we have a captain who scores for fun (when was the last time we could say that by the way?), Trott looks promising and if Cook and Pietersen can rediscover the form then we have a good batting line-up. As for the bowling, Broad & Onions both showed some impressive form in the Ashes, Anderson trailed off at the end of the summer but is still improving and Swann looks good so far. We really don't have problems in the bowling and I'd go as far to say I feel better about our Test side than I have for about three years or so.

But of course, we're not on the up, the fact that we managed to win a series despite being so far behind statistically isn't the sign of a resilient side at all. No, I'd much rather a complacent team that crumbles chasing less than 200 when supposed to be the second best in the world.

No offence aussie, but you live in your own world. Nobody is getting carried away, but to say things aren't on the up for England given where we have come from is quite simply ridiculous. FACT!!!!

Flem274*

123/5
*Yawn*

Its like talking to a brick wall with some tagging on it.

There are no flukes, especially over five tests. Deal with it.

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
Of course we're on the up. After the 05 Ashes we were actually on the way down (not that we knew that for a little while).
How where we on the way down after the 05 Ashes??. We had everything in place. Only thing that crippled us was the injuries to Jones, FLintoff & Vaughan, plus Trescothicks unfortuante mental woes.

If over the past 4 years we had all of them fit, ENG would have had FAR better results & the team today probably would have bee:

Trescothick
Strauss (c)
Trott
KP
Collingwood
Prior
Flintoff
Broad
Swann
Jones
Anderson

Now that would be have been up with AUS/SA/IND for sure.

Only Problem then now would be that Collingwood in test you always feel he is one failure from getting drop if he comes up againts a quality pace attack. Thus Morgan would be the next bestman in line.

At the start of this year we were in disarray. Now, we have a captain who scores for fun (when was the last time we could say that by the way?),

Trott looks promising and if Cook and Pietersen can rediscover the form then we have a good batting line-up.
KP of course. But i can't see how you can have much confidence in Cook, he has the same technical flaws from since Ashes 06/07. He like Collingwood is just a series away from being dropped. If Trescothick didn't have his mental woes, Cook would have been dropepd a long time ago.

As for the bowling, Broad & Onions both showed some impressive form in the Ashes, Anderson trailed off at the end of the summer but is still improving and Swann looks good so far. We really don't have problems in the bowling and I'd go as far to say I feel better about our Test side than I have for about three years or so.
- Anderson he is getting better all the time yes. Expect him to become the new Hoggard very soon. The defacto leader of the attack. But ATM Anderson a bit like the West Indies having Vanburn Holder leading the attack in the ealry 70s after Hall/Griffith left & before the 4-prong arrives. Thats the position ENG are in right now.

- Swann. Solid operator, he is better than what AUS have ATM. So thats good enough ha.

- Broad, improving. Long may it continue, by no means a world beater or anything

- The jury is still out on Onions. He would probably be good in English conditions not sure about his effect on flat decks.

- Sidebottom seems to be pass his peak. No sure how much longer he will last. But he should play in SA

Then we have as backup to them Bresnan, Plunkett, Harmo (maybe) & god forbin Davies. Thats not quality depth.

Overall none of the main group of fast bowlers can be considered WC, just that Anderson is solid operator & have a real determined spinner in Swann. Plus no good exciting young fast bowlers around. I dont see how this makes you confident from a year ago.

The only thing new & exciting from one year ago is the emergence of Morgan.

But of course, we're not on the up, the fact that we managed to win a series despite being so far behind statistically isn't the sign of a resilient side at all. No, I'd much rather a complacent team that crumbles chasing less than 200 when supposed to be the second best in the world.
So if ENG lose in SA now (which is very likely to happen regardless of the Ashes win & SA bowling attack lacking a bit of sting). What are you going to say then?

No offence aussie, but you live in your own world. Nobody is getting carried away, but to say things aren't on the up for England given where we have come from is quite simply ridiculous. FACT!!!!
As i showed above, compared to situation the teamw as post 2005 Ashes, we clearly are not on the way up with so much question marks over many players & a bowling attack just losing out only WC bowler.

ENG are in a delicate balance ATM, drawing or winning in SA with some of the bowlers stepping up would signal something very good after winning the Ashes. But losing in SA & its back to square one (PAK 2005 to WI 2009) & it would pretty much prove winning the Ashes was a fluke.

While AUS definately have a team that they are building on despite the Ashes. Quality depth in all area's (except spin of course).

Flem274 said:
**Yawn*

Its like talking to a brick wall with some tagging on it.

There are no flukes, especially over five tests. Deal with it.
Doesn't happen often but they have been a few series in cricket history, where the inferior team over a 5 test (or 4 test which is long enough as well) have come out top due to lucky circumstance. But beating the superior team like what ENG did in the Ashes, didn't signal the beginning of any revival.

- See Ind vs WI 2002 (in West Indies)

- SA vs AUS 52/53 (in AUS)

- NZ vs SA 61/62

- IND vs AUS 03/04 (fluke in the sense that they where lucky McGrath/Warne didn't play & Dizzy was playing injured, thus the strong IND batting took advantage of weakened AUS attack & the series was closer than it should have been)

- WI vs AUS 99 (WI as team didn't play great cricket, it was Lara vs AUS. Aus where clearly the superior team). WI still remained crapped.

- ENG vs SA 98 (Eng dont know how they what the series, SA where clearly the superior team & made a few mistakes a crucial points like AUS did in this years Ashes). Eng still remained crap.