• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Imran Khan vs Kapil Dev (ODIs)

Better ODI cricketer

• Total voters

capt_Luffy

International Debutant
Two World Cup winning captains of the two most underdog WC winning teams, who elevated their performance in times of absolute crisis. Ofcourse it's not close in a Test comparison (duhhh); but I think they are very close as ODI bowlers, Imran better captain while Kapil better fielder; and while I think Imran was the better batsman, I also think Kapil was much more suited to bat down the order as a slogger.

subshakerz

International Coach
Imran. Until his last 2-3 years, he was a worldclass bowler, and was a better batsman pretty easily. Also better captain.

subshakerz

International Coach
Kapil at his peak between 1983-87 was like Mcgrath with the ball and Sehwag with the bat in ODIs. Think this is close, but will go with him.
His peak is only around 1/3rd of the games he played.

No amount of contortions can make us work around a 10 point batting average difference between these two.

h_hurricane

International Vice-Captain
His peak is only around 1/3rd of the games he played.

No amount of contortions can make us work around a 10 point batting average difference between these two.
No one is comparing them purely on their averages. There is also a small matter of 23 runs difference in their SR which is significant.

Anyways, whatever we wanted to debate was already done in a similar thread about a year back, which I am unable to locate now.

h_hurricane

International Vice-Captain
Yeah but if your average is 23, then runs are more important.
For lower middle order and lower order batsmen both SR and average are equally important. One could even argue that SR is more important.

For top order batsmen(especially openers of that era), average is far more important. No one is rating Srikanth ahead of Greenidge or Haynes because he has a better SR.

subshakerz

International Coach
For lower middle order and lower order batsmen both SR and average are equally important. One could even argue that SR is more important.

For top order batsmen(especially openers of that era), average is far more important. No one is rating Srikanth ahead of Greenidge or Haynes because he has a better SR.
I think the point is, regardless of batting position, that you need at least a certain degree of output to have some notable effect on a game regardless of how fast you score. Averaging 23 is belong even Pollock/Razzaq level as a bat.

However, I know that Imran was more than capable of bashing the ball down the order when he needed to, maybe not at Kapil's rate, but could also adapt himself to bat up the order. He is just a more valuable ODI bat.

Last edited:

subshakerz

International Coach
:laugh:

If your SR is good and avg is bad, I will say ur avg is important.

If your avg is good and SR is bad, I will say ur SR is important.
If Kapil averaged around 28 with the bat at his SR, I wouldn't mind saying he is more valuable as an ODI bat. 23 is too low to consider.

ashley bach

International Captain
Having said that their batting ratings are a lot closer than 1st inspection.
Imran's role was more to build an innings, particularly towards the end of his career, while Kapil was more likely be having a slog towards the end.
That differential of 10 in the averages is almost worth nothing in reality.