• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Importance

What form of the game is more important to you?

• Test Cricket

Votes: 28 63.6%
  • ODI Cricket

Votes: 5 11.4%
  • Both

Votes: 11 25.0%

• Total voters

anzac

International Debutant
Sanz said:
To all those people who voted TESTs as more important :- How many of you would actually like to go and watch a test match for 5 full days and end up a draw ?

Depends on who is playing and what the circumstances are concerning the draw.............eg in the NZ tour to Aus.................

Brisbane was a draw as a result of so much play lost to weather, yet Waugh's declaration made it exciting as Cairns & McGrath went at it in the run chase.........

Hobart was a wash out.................

Perth was a ripper over 5 full days.............

yet the series reads 3 drawn matches for a drawn series..............

:)

anzac

International Debutant
oh yeah..........Tests for me...........

too many mindless ODI series, too many ODI matches where the team winning the toss will bat 2nd and have the best batting conditions...............not too many opportunities for a team to turn the game around as NZ just did in the Test.............

:)

anzac

International Debutant
iamdavid said:

I enjoy the 3 day games far more than the hit & giggle stuff , as a bowler in the one day game your often forced to just worry about restricting them , the tactics with the ball & in the feild can become very negative & that can creap into your general cricketing state of mind.

I think you have hit on a very valid point and one which is almost overlooked when considering all the positives that Limited Overs cricket has done for the game in general.................

I have a sneaking suspicion that what you have just described is the reason why IMO the standard of bowling in general is not as good as it once was - too much Limited Overs containment bowling rather than having the opportunity to develop more attacking bowling.............deliveries and strategies - and not just the seam bowlers either - too many spinners bowling fast & flat to contain rather than take wickets.............even in Test matches on a pitch that turns...............!!!!

:cool2:

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
Anil said:
At a time when tests were waning in popularity(mostly because of a lot of dull, lifeless matches on flat wickets), one day matches re-energised the game and brought crowds back into the cricket ground and in front of T.V sets. The positive contributions of one day cricket as I see it are encouraging increased stroke-play and better fielding in addition to increasing the game's popularity. However, tests for me are what cricket is all about and one dayers while they are important in the overall scheme of things will remain the springy little brother.
Totally agree.

I'd gladly trade a 0-8 VB Series creaming to win back the Ashes off the last ball in Sydney...

iamdavid

International Debutant
Neil Pickup said:
Totally agree.

I'd gladly trade a 0-8 VB Series creaming to win back the Ashes off the last ball in Sydney...
With a 70 ball hundred from the number 11 & 10-265 by the blonde Aussie speedster :D

Craig

World Traveller
Easily Tests.

ODIs is like going to going to McDonalds when your hungry, its enough to fill you and your happy. Tests is like dining eating at a fine Italian resturant, its expensive but you like it and you want more.

bennyr

U19 12th Man
Craig said:
ODIs is like going to going to McDonalds when your hungry, its enough to fill you and your happy. Tests is like dining eating at a fine Italian resturant, its expensive but you like it and you want more.

Well said. This is exactly how I feel on the issue.

Ford_GTHO351

U19 Vice-Captain
Craig said:
So your basically saying the World Cup is like McDonalds now :lol:

After all the World Cup is easily crickets biggest and most prestigious competition to win, oh and remember this is an ODI tournament.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Ford_GTHO351 said:
After all the World Cup is easily crickets biggest and most prestigious competition to win, oh and remember this is an ODI tournament.
A Test Competition is extremely impractical though.

Ford_GTHO351

U19 Vice-Captain
marc71178 said:
A Test Competition is extremely impractical though.
I think we here had a topic not that long ago on whether a test comp/Test World Cup could work.

Well it just wouldn't work in IMO.

Just like you said it would be impractical as I will point out.

TV networks couldn't possibly find a way to broadcast all the matches (and all the days of the test), the ICC having to work out months (yes months at least to find a winner) of the year to hold an test championship out of an already cramped schedule (ICC Ten Year Plan) etc.

Would it attract people to the matches?

bennyr

U19 12th Man
Ford_GTHO351 said:

Would it attract people to the matches?
No, It wouldn't.

Crowds are bigger at ODI's. Most people prefer going to an ODI than a Test.

I think that what we are establishing in this poll is the bleeding obvious - that the CW community does not represent your average cricket fan, and that by and large we prefer the longer form of the game - Tests are more important to us.

mavric41

State Vice-Captain
Test Cricket for sure. ODI are too 'limited' to fully display a players talents.

All test series are meaningful. There are too many ODI competitions held for the sake of it. Too many ODI are decided in the first 15-20 overs. When a team is down there is often not enough time for them to recover. In tests, if they are good enough a team can win from any position. (e.g. last Test match in Sri Lanka)

Tests for me are like good books- the story develops and takes different turns before coming to an interesting conclusion. Heros come to the fore and fully display there talents.

ODi are more like magazine articles - short, sharp and to the point. Enjoyable but often forgettable.

mavric41

State Vice-Captain
bennyr said:
No, It wouldn't.

Crowds are bigger at ODI's. Most people prefer going to an ODI than a Test.

For ODI internationals, alot of people don't go for the cricket, they go for the atmosphere and the entertainment that is present. They have fun dressing up and carrying on. And that is fine, people enjoy themselves and the game of cricket survives because of the money it brings in.

The recent attendances in Australia though show that Test matches are now outstripping ODI because of the way the Test team is playing.

Just one point, there have been very few players (Jonty Rhodes, Allan Donald and Darren Gough are the only ones I can think of) who give up Tests to extend their ODI careers. Even those players were struggling with injury which prevented them from playing well in tests.

Last edited:

Craig

World Traveller
Ford_GTHO351 said:
So your basically saying the World Cup is like McDonalds now :lol:

No.

I'm saying ODIs are good but for me Tests hold a higher importance.

anzac

International Debutant
Craig said:
Easily Tests.

:wow:

PY

International Coach
Ford_GTHO351 said:
As an Englishman, I would rate the Ashes as far more prestigious than the World Cup purely due to history and the quality of cricket.

I would liken it to a local derby in football if it wasn't between two countries that are 12,000 miles apart. :lol:

That is a very good analogy of it Craig.....come on, where did you get it from? URL please.....:P

Deja moo

International Captain
As an Englishman, I would rate the Ashes as far more prestigious than the World Cup purely due to history and the quality of cricket.
What quality of cricket??? You mean Australia running through England again and again and again and again............

For me, the best match between the 2 sides in recent times was not any Ashes test , but the WC2003 odi between them.

age_master

Hall of Fame Member
i rate Australias series the WC as number 1, with our 3 big test series - The Ashes, The Frank Worrel Trophy and the Border Gavaskar just behind it