• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

If your 1st-string team doesn't go to the Ch Trophy, who would you replace them with?

_Ed_

Request Your Custom Title Now!
2nd XI

Jesse Ryder (c)
Martin Guptill
Bradley Watling
Greg Hay
Neil Broom
Rob Nicol
Kruger Van Wyk (w)
James Franklin
Brandon Hiini
Michael Mason
Brent Arnel
Nice side. Not at all comfortable with Ryder as captain though! Franklin maybe?

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
Nice side. Not at all comfortable with Ryder as captain though! Franklin maybe?
By all accounts, Franklin's almost as much of an egomaniac as Ryder is, and he's not exactly the brightest bulb in the factory either. If he were available I'd go with van Wyk as a captain, as even though he's not played internationally, he's had plenty of experience captaining Canterbury for a couple of season's now.

Flem274*

123/5
By all accounts, Franklin's almost as much of an egomaniac as Ryder is, and he's not exactly the brightest bulb in the factory either. If he were available I'd go with van Wyk as a captain, as even though he's not played internationally, he's had plenty of experience captaining Canterbury for a couple of season's now.
Very harsh. Jimmy at least has the good sense not to be a ****** and comes across as a nice guy in the media. Hasn't bitten back at all the **** he gets for his ODI bowling from the public either. McMillan, Parore would have fired a volley back by now and I suspect Ryder could do that too.

NZ Selector

Cricket Spectator
Is Van Wyk a NZ resident now?
Van Wyk still has another year to go. In all honesty I don't think he would make the team. He is an unothodox batmans but at times gets himself in trouble because he goes away from conventional scoring shots. Just look at Canterbury vs Aces last season on TV. BJ Walting keeped a little at emerging players tournament, he could be a good player to invest time in. If McCullum gave up the gloves it would sure unbalance the Black Caps.

NZ Selector

Cricket Spectator
If most of the contracted Black Caps pull out of the Champions Trophy this would be the team i'd select.

J. Ryder*
M. Guptill
M. Sinclair
N. Broom
BJ Watling+
G. Elliot
C. Anderson
N. McCullum
P. Hitchcock
B. Hiini
B. Scott

G. Hay
D. de Boorder+
C. Cumming
B. Arnel
R. Sherlock
R. Nicol

Flem274*

123/5
Isn't Watling more of a batsman keeper? I don't really want NZ to end up like England, Griggs, Van Wyk or De Boorder for me.

Hitchcock, Anderson, Cumming=no, no, no.

Rest of the team looks good though.

SirBloody Idiot

Cricketer Of The Year
Originally Posted by Richard
Trouble being that you can't really know who'd go and who wouldn't, so you can't really name a "XI of players who would go".

In any case, England First XIs in ODIs are depressing enough - the fact that a Second XI would probably be stronger (if selected by me, rather than the selectors, that is) makes it just too depressing to contemplate.

Yeah England's first team is fairly rubbish. 2nd team could be better TBH.

For Australia
1. Hughes
2. Dighton
3. Pomersbach
4. Bailey
5. Katich (c)
6. Voges
7. Hopes
8. Paine
9. McGain
10. Siddle
11. Geeves

Voges,hopes,paine,geeves and bailey are in the squad of 30 that said they wouldn't go,and i know katich wouldn't go either.
Hughes is no where near one of the best List A openers in the country.

Perm

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Indian XI

Robin Uthappa
Parthiv Patel (wk)
Shikhar Dhawan
Suresh Raina
Rohit Sharma
S Badrinath (c)
Yusuf Pathan
Amit Mishra
Pragyan Ojha
RP Singh
Ranadeb Bose

masterblaster

International Captain
Robin Uthappa
Parthiv Patel (wk)
Shikhar Dhawan
Suresh Raina
Rohit Sharma
S Badrinath (c)
Yusuf Pathan
Amit Mishra
Pragyan Ojha
RP Singh
Ranadeb Bose
Looks like a solid team there. Would probably replace Robin Uthappa with Swapnil Asondkar. Was very impressed with Asondkar of what little I saw of him for Rajasthan in the IPL. Asondkar also has a decent domestic record.

BHG86

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
Mustard
Carberry
Denly
Solanki (Cpt)
Afzaal
Patel
Mascarenhas
Read (wk)
Kabir Ali
Bresnan
Shreck

If Patel/Mascarenhas bowling ten doesn't work, then bring in Onions or Kirby

Based solely on players who haven't played in the past year, or are not picked for upcoming ODI series.

I can also guarantee I'm bound to have missed someone, just did it off the top of my head.

grapedo

Banned
They wont replace them

I don't hink they would replace them mate the reason why they aren't going is because it is too dangerous so they wouldn't send another weaker line up to go because thay will still be in danger. But i reckon its Bs they should just go no matter what.

A slightly darker take on the usual "what's your 2nd XI". Given that, from what I've heard, Ryder and Franklin aren't gonna be selected, I'd imagine it'd be something like this for New Zealand.

Ryder
Guptill
Sinclair
Broom
Hay
Nichol
Van Wyk
Hiini
Franklin
Scott
O'Brien

We'd be able to post a slightly more competitive looking unit if it weren't for the ICL stealing all of our second (and in some place first) string players.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
I don't hink they would replace them mate the reason why they aren't going is because it is too dangerous so they wouldn't send another weaker line up to go because thay will still be in danger.
Well, because it's supposedly too dangerous and they will supposedly still be in danger.

pup11

International Coach
Could say a lot of things. Will just reflect on Hopes above Voges. (face)
Well the team wasn't in any sort of batting order!

Who opens in your first XI then?
In the first XI i expect Hayden and Watson to open, but none the less i named the Aussie 2nd XI, keeping in consideration that if the tournament is staged in Pakistan and decision to go or not is given to every individual, then i expect the lesser established players out of the preliminary 30 to go.