• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

If Bradman played in today's era?

How would Sir Donald Bradman go in today's era of cricket?

• Total voters

a massive zebra

International Captain
Don Bradman played against Larwood at his peak and also saw Thomson, yet he rated Tyson as the fastest bowler he ever saw. See 32:18 here:

Last edited:

Jack1

International Debutant
massive zebra, suppose the most sure comment Bradman makes is regarding Sobers which is fair enough.

OverratedSanity

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Trueman and Tyson were contemporaries and the universal consensus among the cricket world at the time was that Tyson was the quicker bowler by a distance. I would trust the views of people who actually played against and watched these guys extensively in the fresh ahead of the views of someone forming an opinion three generations later based on a few newsreel clips. Also Larwood and Tyson played only 20-30 years apart so many people saw both these bowlers. The general consensus among the cricket world of the 1950s was that Tyson was marginally the quicker bowler.
I know the consensus. That's why I'm confused as to why he doesn't look as fast.

Jack1

International Debutant
I know the consensus. That's why I'm confused as to why he doesn't look as fast.
I think you are underestimating the ability of the batsmen if you're thinking he isn't quick. The fact the batsmen played without helmets kids people into thinking it's village cricket, it's not. He was sharp.

Migara

Cricketer Of The Year
Trueman and Tyson were contemporaries and the universal consensus among the cricket world at the time was that Tyson was the quicker bowler by a distance. I would trust the views of people who actually played against and watched these guys extensively in the fresh ahead of the views of someone forming an opinion three generations later based on a few newsreel clips. Also Larwood and Tyson played only 20-30 years apart so many people saw both these bowlers. The general consensus among the cricket world of the 1950s was that Tyson was marginally the quicker bowler.
Issue is none of them played Akthar / Lee / Thompson for comparison.

Migara

Cricketer Of The Year
Don Bradman played against Larwood at his peak and also saw Thomson, yet he rated Tyson as the fastest bowler he ever saw. See 32:18 here:

It's not the same Bradman who rates Thomson and Larwood, a Bradman few decades older. So no, subjective opinions are almost always crap, even it comes from greats.

OverratedSanity

Request Your Custom Title Now!
What objective evidence are you referring to? Your previous subjective statements don't count.
Video footage of bowlers who played 70 years apart I suppose. A large number of players who saw Tyson bowl live and called him the fastest ever did so without actually seeing Shoaib Akhtar bowl. We've got access to footage of both. While it's not perfect, it's more objective than an anecdote.

Red

The normal awards that everyone else has
Tyson, Thommo, Tait - all had that slinging action that generates serious heat. Shoaib sort of had it.

I honestly think that if they fairly accurately measured Tait at 161km, then Thommo might've sometimes bowled at around the 170-180 mark, and I'm not even being ridiculous. They shared a similar action but Thommo was more athletic and fitter.

These guys can't/don't wind it up like this all the time. But I remember the game where Tait hit 160, he was hovering high 150s thru the over. And the game went to another level at that time. Almost impossible to play bowling that quick.

Starfighter

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Video footage of bowlers who played 70 years apart I suppose. A large number of players who saw Tyson bowl live and called him the fastest ever did so without actually seeing Shoaib Akhtar bowl. We've got access to footage of both. While it's not perfect, it's more objective than an anecdote.
Considering your subjective impression from said footage is quite different to mine, I don't think that's any progress on that front. The fact that Thomson was measured in one match at 160 km/h, a speed which Shoaib recorded once or twice being measured the big majority of deliveries he bowled in his competitive career (and certainly after he re-jigged his action) doesn't do that argument any favours.

the big bambino

International Captain
Plenty did. Including Benaud. He went with Tyson