• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

ICC Women's World T20 2018

TheJediBrah

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Wonder if we'll ever know what's actually going on. You'd expect that reality is somewhere in the middle of the 2 stories.

Shri

Mr. Glass

ankitj

Hall of Fame Member
I think we need to celebrate women cricketing icons and treat them with due respect. This might sound like defence of hero worship culture but bear in mind that we don't have dozens of cricketers waiting in the wings to replace Mithali. She is someone who inspires younger generations to take up cricket. If she is treated so shoddily it can demotivate young women cricketers big time. I would rather bin Powar than Mithali. And from whatever I have seen there is no hint of sense of entitlement in the way she conducts herself.

Last edited:

Shri

Mr. Glass
Yeah, much better to have an example around who'll bully her way out of fielding practice and someone who puts herself ahead of the team. Gotta drill that nepotism into everyone in the team real early.

TheJediBrah

They're probably both as bad as each other here IMO. In my experience cases like these tend to require both parties acting out a bit to happen.

harsh.ag

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Powar can **** off too, imo. If he had a problem with Raj speaking to the selectors to get back to the opening position (where she scored 2 50s in the tournament, one 56(47) chasing down a target of 134 and one 51(56) against Ireland), then there was a better way to deal with it than avoiding her during practice and then dropping her after the Ireland game. She may have been scoring slower than he wanted, but she was miles better than Taniya Bhatia, who was the replacement.

CricAddict

Cricketer Of The Year
Powar can **** off too, imo. If he had a problem with Raj speaking to the selectors to get back to the opening position (where she scored 2 50s in the tournament, one 56(47) chasing down a target of 134 and one 51(56) against Ireland), then there was a better way to deal with it than avoiding her during practice and then dropping her after the Ireland game. She may have been scoring slower than he wanted, but she was miles better than Taniya Bhatia, who was the replacement.
Yes, she was player of the match in both matches she played and then got dropped. Stupid decision and she has every right to be agitated. I don't think something like that has happened in men's WC cricket history too..

harsh.ag

Yes, she was player of the match in both matches she played and then got dropped. Stupid decision and she has every right to be agitated. I don't think something like that has happened in men's WC cricket history too..
Absolutely every right to be agitated. Being enraged for being dropped after two MoMs is being equated by Powar to "she tried to blackmail me". Disgusting behaviour by someone who is supposed to be THE adult in the room. Should be fired. Raj should be brought back.

Shri

Mr. Glass
Lol. Its hilarious that you guys don't have a problem with her packing her bags to go home. Typical.

harsh.ag

Lol. Its hilarious that you guys don't have a problem with her packing her bags to go home. Typical.
Yeah, the coach has every right to be a dickhead and players are liable to take it. Cool, bro.

Powar's wahhh about her 'blackmail' is the most embarrassing thing about this. Raj packing her bags is the second most embarrassing thing about this.

A coach should understand that dropping a player after they have done stupendously well will have consequences and should plan for those consequences.

Shri

Mr. Glass
If the coach had seletioj responsibilities/recommendations, he was just doing his job. Its not the player's call on whether she should play. And her antics would have affected squad morale for sure.

harsh.ag

If the coach had seletioj responsibilities/recommendations, he was just doing his job. Its not the player's call on whether she should play. And her antics would have affected squad morale for sure.
Of course he has the power and the responsibilities, but he wasn't just doing his job if he was being unreasonable. I don't believe you believe he was being reasonable.

SillyCowCorner1

I'm pretty sure it was not the food.

Ample varieties of curries and other deliciousness in Guyana.

Probably the lack of that as soon as the left guyana elicited a fued?

cnerd123

likes this
Why India shouldn't be faulted for dropping Mithali Raj

Click here to view more : http://www.cricbuzz.com/cricket-new...icket-team-womens-world-t20-2018-ramesh-powar

A pretty good article into why they were looking to leave her out purely on cricketing reasons

It's the safe decision to keep a senior player in the side after two MOTM performances against weaker opposition. That doesn't mean it's the right one. And given she had just missed some games due to injury and illness and the formula was working in her absence, I think it's a sound enough decision to leave her out.

But it's embarrassing how paid professionals can behave in this manner, from both sides.