• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

ICC Players Who Came To Nothing

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
Jungle Jumbo said:
Maungwa and the other bloke for Zimbabwe who both have real FC batting averages of belwo 10 yet are the cornerstone of Zimbabwean batting in 2005.

I also once had a Sussex career where Richard Montgomerie, who never bowls in real life, always came on in one day games and took a stack of wickets. Was possibly the best OD spinner in the country.
Montgomerie always scored runs against me.

Kweek

Cricketer Of The Year
harsh James..very harsh

R.I.P Ben :( one of the first cricketers I liked and knew off ! ...then he died :(

Bob Bamber

U19 12th Man
Matt Bulbeck is playing Club Cricket for Torquay nowadays. He was the losing captain in the Paignton vs Torquay 20/20

Mark Wagh
Aftab Habib
Ryan Sidebottom
Ricaldo Anderson
Chris Bassano
James Middlebrook
Chris Schofield
Gavin Hamilton
Kevin Dean
Paul Hutchinson

Alot of all rounders are overrated in the game.

Last edited:

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Kevin Dean served me well as fantastic left-arm pacer, although he became a reserve in my promotion season and subsequently retired

Matt Dennington of Kent is a RFM, hiw bowling's not great, but after 3 or 4 years he became a world-class all-rounder, hitting runs all over the place. With him and Afridi in my side we are marching towards the County Championship.

Adamc

Cricketer Of The Year
I always managed to do pretty well for England with a bowling lineup of Matt Bulbeck, Kevin Dean, James Middlebrook and Graeme Swann (and some other random seamer if needed). Samaraweera and Kyle Mills were quite a lot better than their real-life counterparts, allrounders very much overrated as someone mentioned. Interestingly Ed Smith almost always scored a double century on his England debut for some reason.

voltaire

Cricket Spectator
Seconding Kyle Mills. Averaged 56 with the bat and 22 with the ball for me.(ICC2001)

Ian Bell I'm not going to speculate on that much just yet, as he is currently in ripping form. However, in my game he played 200+ tests, scoring 47 test centuries at an average just over 50. He was basically Steve Waugh, even being the default captain.(ICC2002)

Xavier Marshall, the young West Indian batsman. He's only twenty, but with an average of 20 from 11 first class matches (2 fifties, no hundreds) I doubt he's ever going to reach the 65 run average he has in 2009 in my WI savegame.(ICC2002)

hindleyite

Cricket Spectator
Dunno if these haven't already been mentioned, but from my experience:

Scott Ellis - ?
Simon Willis - ?
Ed Smith - Went on to play a few Tests
Jimmy Ormond - played a couple of Tests
Owais Shah - yet to be fully seen. Played some one-dayers

And some players who were complete non-entities in the original ICC but HAVE achieved greatness:

Freddy Flintoff
Matthew Hoggard
Simon Jones

Great Birtannia

U19 Captain
squiz said:
C.Bassano
Scored a hundred in each innings on debut for Derbyshire I believe. His mother was actually my geography teacher in first year high school. He never really got much of a chance with Tasmania, I have no idea what he is up to these days.

crickhowell

U19 Vice-Captain
Great Birtannia said:
Scored a hundred in each innings on debut for Derbyshire I believe. His mother was actually my geography teacher in first year high school. He never really got much of a chance with Tasmania, I have no idea what he is up to these days.
Didn't he play for Aussie A's a couple of years ago?

age_master

Hall of Fame Member
Thilan Samaraweera would have to be the biggest offender - averaged over with the bat and under 20 with the ball for me.

Gavin Hamilton was also very classy, with ball mainly but hit a 138 ball 200 for me once

Dean, Bulbeck, Ormond, Hadib and Hutchison were also ICC greats.