• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

ICC Players Who Came To Nothing

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
In the original version, there were a number of players who were nominated for greatness, and yet these days I hear nothing of them...

Michael May (Derbyshire)
Scott Ellis (Worcs)
Melvyn Betts (Durham)
Gary Gilder (South Africa)
James Hewitt (Middlesex)
Morne Strydom (South Africa)
A Botha (South Africa) [is this the one now playing for Ireland?]
Henrik Dipenaar (South Africa) [is this Boeta?]
Floyd Reifer (West Indies)
A Samaroo (West Indies)
G Breese (West Indies)
D Sewell (New Zealand)

While I found it extremely humurous how Pakistan and India's sides were pretty much all these 35 year olds who suddenly came back into the Test side. :laugh:

cpr

International Coach
To add to that list, various players throughout ICC history who really never reached the heights their pixellated counterparts did

M Smethurst - Englands greatest trundler of all time
T Roberts - The guy could bat for ever and then somehow spin the opposition out.
P Hutchison - Great Left arm pacer, though i always found his test form dodgy
K Dean - See above
M Bulbeck - Forget Freddie, Englands best allrounder since Beefy

UncleTheOne

U19 Captain
cpr said:
P Hutchison - Great Left arm pacer, though i always found his test form dodgy
Really? He got something stupid like 800 test wickets for me in the low twenties.

Forget Adam Gilchrist. Lindala Reddy and P Dharmani were utter dynamite with bat and gloves for India on 2002, both were capable of averaging over 50 in tests.

pearljammonkey

Cricket Spectator
Michael May
Matt Bulbeck!!!! (cant believe the original poster missed him)
James Brown
James Hewitt
Kevin Dean
Michael Davies
Paul Hutchison
R Sidebottom
G Gilder
L Reddy
P Dharmani
Nasim Khan
T Samaraweera
Harbhajan Singh is a freak is any of the later versions, and it seems Sri Lanka produce this massive amount of great bowlers, spin and pace

_Ed_

Request Your Custom Title Now!
vic_orthdox said:
D Sewell (New Zealand)
Struggles to get a game for Otago. Legend in ICC though.

While I found it extremely humurous how Pakistan and India's sides were pretty much all these 35 year olds who suddenly came back into the Test side. :laugh:
:laugh: Yes!
It is quite bizarre.

Gautam Gambhir seems excessively good in the patched ICC2005, and from NZ the likes of Ian O'Brien and Andrew Schwass dominate in tests which is hardly realistic. H Maduwantha from SL and Johan Botha from SA are two more, but I won't complain about that because they've provided many years of fine service to Surrey.

Jungle Jumbo

International Vice-Captain
Maungwa and the other bloke for Zimbabwe who both have real FC batting averages of belwo 10 yet are the cornerstone of Zimbabwean batting in 2005.

I also once had a Sussex career where Richard Montgomerie, who never bowls in real life, always came on in one day games and took a stack of wickets. Was possibly the best OD spinner in the country.

UncleTheOne

U19 Captain
superkingdave said:
Hamilton Mazakadza had about 50 test centuries for me on one 2002 game.
My favourite ICC legend, averaged well over 50 on my Zim game in tests and just under 50 in ODI's. Always scored at a scary rate as well. Still I had an Athers esque re-gen at the other end to make up for that when he came out to open.