• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

ICC announce ODI law changes

sohummisra

U19 Debutant
According to silentstriker (or adharcric) he is mostly around 120-125kph (roughy equates to 74-78mph).
That qualifies. ;) He is not fast by any stretch of the imagination and he should thus concentrate on his accuracy. He also has a lot of hair, if the pictures on TV during the Friendship Series were anything to go by (provided I was looking at the right person).

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
A) In short, yes, if no balls aren't a massive problem with the bowling attack then i'm not paticulary worried about it
That's very unwise. Not worrying about your own mistakes for the sole reason that you are presuming your oppo will make them is a recipe for disaster.
B) Who are these seamers? I highly doubt that the reason they don't bowl no balls is because they learned to get their run up a fair bit before the crease. In my experience people who bowl less no bowls do so because they have a consistent run up and aren't super fast, thus them bowling not bowling no balls is a result of them being a good bowler, not because they try not to.
Michael Holding had a 29-pace run-up (and was rather fast) and never bowled no-balls bar one occasion on a strange ground which had some sort of slope. Ian Botham (who certainly wasn't slow early on in his career) had a decent length run-up and never bowled no-balls. Garfield Sobers sometimes bowled off a long run, at reasonable speed, and bowled just 5 no-balls (by his own recollection) in his career.

It's not relative to speed or even run-up length. It's relative to having made a concerted effort not to get near the popping-crease. Andre Nel, too, virtually never bowls no-balls.

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
other than the letting an extra fielder outside the circle, the next two are total crap. I hope the players themselves show the same distgust those rules and say something about it between now and october 1st so that ODI cricket really doesn't become totally batsman friendly.

atisha_ro

U19 12th Man
this kind of tampering with the rules only makes me enjoy baseball more.
why? because in baseball they don't really care if a game goes for six hours without a single run being scored, they don't have to worry about "doctoring pitches", they change ball every 2-3 throws (and no chucking rule either), they haven't got three different kinds of game to suit particular fans, the rules of the game stayed basically the same and only the materials changed (even those with care, bats are still made of wood), and the bat-ball contest is actually pretty challenging.
i guess i begin to side with the traditionalists here who would like cricket to put most of the emphasis on Tests, which, anyway, are genuine good old cricket and the rules didn't change that much in the last century (except maybe the overs limit thing).
and as such i didn't bother too much about the ODIs these days.

Last edited:

sohummisra

U19 Debutant
It's not relative to speed or even run-up length. It's relative to having made a concerted effort not to get near the popping-crease. Andre Nel, too, virtually never bowls no-balls.
Andre Nel doesn't exactly have an action conducive to no-balls, though, and his action is far from being normal.

PhoenixFire

International Coach
How does the action effect the likelihood of no-balls? :confused:
A very vague guess would be that someone like Nel, who has an awkwark and somewhat jerky action is more prone, simply because the transition of his weight isn't really smooth. Whereas someone like Pollock or McGrath are much more able to control their movements.

Swervy

International Captain
. Ian Botham (who certainly wasn't slow early on in his career) had a decent length run-up and never bowled no-balls.

He actually bowled quite a famous/infamous no-ball in 1985 vs Australia, which resulted in Botham having a bit of a strop as the batsman (Fat Cat I think) was caught off it.

Swervy

International Captain
Hmm...

He's never mentioned it.

Was that the only no-ball he ever bowled?
so because he has never mentioned bowling a no ball you assume he never did

I would be very surprised if that was the only one he ever bowled

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
No, he's said many times that him bowling no-balls was an extreme rarity.

I'm sure he did bowl the odd one, but like Nel I presume it was just extremely rare.

Swervy

International Captain
No, he's said many times that him bowling no-balls was an extreme rarity.

I'm sure he did bowl the odd one, but like Nel I presume it was just extremely rare.
rare:adj., rar·er, rar·est.
Infrequently occurring; uncommon: a rare event; eg. a plant that is rare in this region.

never:Not ever; on no occasion; at no time: eg. He had never been there before. You never can be sure.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Was exaggerating and being ironic, TBH.

And I'm honestly not sure whether a) you got that or b) I rightly or wrongly interpreted your post as getting it or not getting it.

Swervy

International Captain
Was exaggerating and being ironic, TBH.

And I'm honestly not sure whether a) you got that or b) I rightly or wrongly interpreted your post as getting it or not getting it.
erm...I don't really know to be honest. I am sure you can't be refering to me saying about capital punishment, becuase no one in their right mind wouldn't be able to sense the tongue planted firmly in the cheek (easy now!!!)

I don't really see the irony in anything you have said, sarcasm maybe, exaggeration most probably.

Irony..I don't see it...I may have said this before, if so I will say this again, are you sure you aren't American?