• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

I dont like Bazball

Xuhaib

International Coach
There I said it.

I dont even mind England's win tommorow heck they deserve it. Full marks to them for making a game out if it and it will be a tight slap on Ramiz and Babar face as their tactics with the pitch back fire on them.

But i am late 30's old school fan i want my tests run rate to stay betwen 2-4 rpo, occasional big hitting innings in tests are fine but i dont want tests to turn in to white ball slogging fests.

I am afraid this could be future of test cricket and i am not liking it.

Sunil1z

International Regular
Slogging won’t work on bowling friendly wickets . Blame PCB for producing roads which are the ideal condition for Bazball .

Xuhaib

International Coach
I am afraid with Bazball producing more results games the organizers could see this as a sign of good cricket. And we may see more limited overs style highways in test cricket to encourage bazball.

TheGreatest

U19 Cricketer
I am afraid with Bazball producing more results games the organizers could see this as a sign of good cricket. And we may see more limited overs style highways in test cricket to encourage bazball.
Hey...it won't work against quality bowling attacks on good pace and spin friendly pitches.

TheGreatest

U19 Cricketer
I'm eagerly waiting for this English team tour of South Africa. We will dust down this BAZBALL theory to dust.

Ashes81

State Vice-Captain
Bazball isn't about slogging and apart from Stokes none of the other players have gone down this route.

Bairstow's innings in the summer weren't one day slogs- he was exceptionally positive but he was playing proper cricket shots.

The same in this test - Brook, Crawley, Pope and Co were playing proper shots- there was very little slogging.

What some of the players did do was to use some of their one day skills - there were a few ramps and alot of reverse sweeps etc.

Stokes is the only player I'd criticise - he constantly comes in and from ball 1 is hacking across the line.

TheGreatest

U19 Cricketer
I hope you realise that SA haven’t won a Test series at home against England this century.
This SA team is a tight unit. Early this year they defeated a strong Indian team who were favourites to win their first series in SA.

TheGreatest

U19 Cricketer
Bazball isn't about slogging and apart from Stokes none of the other players have gone down this route.

Bairstow's innings in the summer weren't one day slogs- he was exceptionally positive but he was playing proper cricket shots.

The same in this test - Brook, Crawley, Pope and Co were playing proper shots- there was very little slogging.

What some of the players did do was to use some of their one day skills - there were a few ramps and alot of reverse sweeps etc.

Stokes is the only player I'd criticise - he constantly comes in and from ball 1 is hacking across the line.
The day England starts losing a couple of Tests, that's when experts will start criticizing BAZBALL. It's a gamble...might work some days but not always.

TheGreatest

U19 Cricketer
But didn’t the same SA team lose to ENG 4 months ago?
That was a close series. The last Test was more of a 3 day game and lots of things were going on behind the scenes like when to catch the flight home.
Anyways, that was in England. Now it's our condition and pitches!

Calm_profit

State Vice-Captain
That was a close series. The last Test was more of a 3 day game and lots of things were going on behind the scenes like when to catch the flight home.
Anyways, that was in England. Now it's our condition and pitches!
Even Greame Smith can't able to defeat England at his home.

Ashes81

State Vice-Captain
This SA team is a tight unit. Early this year they defeated a strong Indian team who were favourites to win their first series in SA.
S Africa have a really good bowling attack and will cause our batsmen all sorts of problems and Bazball won't change that.

theegyptian

International Vice-Captain
I don't see more challenging wickets as a major issue for England. If anything it suits there style to play where one brilliant knock can win a game and ultra aggresive batting change put the opposition on the backfoot.

There were plenty of challenging wickets in the summer that England won on. I actually thought England would have more issues on really flat wickets - I assumed they'd probably donate their wickets cheaper than the opposition but it certainly hasn't played out like that in this game.

Will we win in Australia or India playing like this? Probably not but we mostly lose there anyway.

Every opposition team and their fans so far have been like bazball is such a myth, just wait until we face you? and every team so far has lost. NZ, India, SA.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
I don't see more challenging wickets as a major issue for England. If anything it suits there style to play where one brilliant knock can win a game and ultra aggresive batting change put the opposition on the backfoot.

There were plenty of challenging wickets in the summer that England won on. I actually thought England would have more issues on really flat wickets - I assumed they'd probably donate their wickets cheaper than the opposition but it certainly hasn't played out like that in this game.

Will we win in Australia or India playing like this? Probably not but we mostly lose there anyway.

Every opposition team and their fans so far have been like bazball is such a myth, just wait until we face you? and every team so far has lost. NZ, India, SA.
Tim Paine can't wait to get you at the Gabba.

Sunil1z

International Regular
Nah Bazball isn’t a myth. Individual batsmen like Viv, Gilchrist, Sehwag , Pietersen , Mccullum and Warner have all shown how aggressive batting can demoralise opposition team . It is first time we are seeing an entire team trying to do that . And I feel they will be reasonably successful.

Xuhaib

International Coach
I dont give an eff if it works or not ofcourse thats not what the thread is about . English fans will like it aslong as it gives them results.

Its just not my preferred way of how test cricket should be played, if i want to see 5-7 RPO i have white ball cricket for that.

My enjoyment for odis also went down when par scored changed from 225-275 to 275-350 With England finding a way to be successful with it I see more teams following the template and I am not that thrilled about it.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
The funny thing about this most recent Test was that England's top three in the first dig didn't even seem like they were actively doing anything Bazballish. I wonder how much of it was just the disgusting pitch/bowling.

Stokes and Bairstow have definitely proven it's deliberate strategy and not just PR spin for less cluttered thinking, but I'm not sure we're actually going to see Crawley and Pope scoring run-a-ball tons very often.

Xuhaib

International Coach
Nah Bazball isn’t a myth. Individual batsmen like Viv, Gilchrist, Sehwag , Pietersen , Mccullum and Warner have all shown how aggressive batting can demoralise opposition team . It is first time we are seeing an entire team trying to do that . And I feel they will be reasonably successful.
You can count Ultra aggressive successful test bats on your fingerstips in the history of test cricket the reason is its not easy to do it consistently . Imo all it will take a couple of series against a good bowling attack on sporting pitches and the tactics will go down in flames. I dont see the longterm sustainability of bazball.