• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Hypothetical Question

Would he be selected?

• Yes

Votes: 11 100.0%
  • No

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
Sure he'd get selected. Put him at third man / fine leg.

Ridiculous though. If he's that good a batsman, his hand-eye co-ordination can't be that bad.
Not completely without precedent. Mark Richardson was a pretty average fielder, not horrendous as the OP describes but pretty bad. John Bracewell used to work him over something silly after a day's play/training to make him passably decent. Sure there's others that I can't think of right now

But yeah, of course this guy would be picked.

Last edited:

TheJediBrah

Request Your Custom Title Now!
So effectively playing with 10 in the field.

I guess the real question is whether that one horrible fielder will cost more than say 60 runs a fielding innings (assuming another batsman chosen to replace him would average about 40), which is very possible.

I think in Tests you would lose 60+ runs from having 1 fielder as bad as you describe and selecting him would be a bad choice.

Athlai

Not Terrible
Hypothetical Question 2

Would you pick a bowler that was Malcolm Marshall 2.0 who was also legally blind?

Only enough sight to make out the pitch, has a bright orange bowling mark, Just enough vision to make out a batsman charging.

Zero batting or fielding ability.

Athlai

Not Terrible
*athlai anxiously awaits the moderator response to his hypothetical question. Unlike Cameron can he avoid a hypothetical ban?*

OverratedSanity

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Yeah, hypothetical seems impossible.
Ridiculous though. If he's that good a batsman, his hand-eye co-ordination can't be that bad.
Premise is absurd anyway. Likelihood is that anyone capable of averaging 100 with the bat would be a better than average fielder. Most great batsmen are gun fielders also, cos the skills required are similar.
I'm struggling to see a hypothetical situation where this could exist
Why can't the guy field though? Seriously? I struggle to see how a batsman who averages 100 could not field at all. Is there a reason? Expand on the hypothetical pls?
Do you guys even know what hypothetical means? It's an assumption you morons. Assumptions should never be the focus of a question like this. They exist only to set up the question itself. OP was right.

#BringBackCameron

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Question 1: Yes, he will be selected coz even if he were that bad, the assumption among most cricket coaches is fielding can be improved to a passable degree over time.. Assuming the guy is averaging 200+ in FC (which he should if he were that good :p in today's FC standards) he will be selected at a reasonably young age which means most people will think his fielding can be improved.

Question 2: He will be invaluable in day night tests with the pink ball.. #1 pick IMO, preferably for NZ :p

Question 3: Faf fields at mid-off for the Super Kings... How is your question hypothetical? :)

mintykip

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
Question 4: Would you rather a fielder who has a 100% catch rate and can catch absolute screamers from pretty much anywhere or a fielder who can throw the stumps down 100% of the time from anywhere on the field with absolute rockets? I haven't really thought this one through all that much so there's probably a really obvious answer, but, meh.

harsh.ag

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
3. Place them anywhere in the V, towards the boundary.

4. Fielder who can throw down the stumps hands down. Would get so many wickets.

mintykip

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
And you can stick beast catching guy real close in the covers which would absolutely **** with the batsman's head as they know anything even slightly aerial thorugh that area is deadset gone.