• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Hussey goes to top of rankings

Dravid

International Captain
Turbinator said:
theres a comma in it instead of a period after the www
Thanks

Not much of a surprise...I think we all predicted he would go to number 1 sooner or later.

Johnners

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Great Stuff by Hussey!! One must ask though, what does Michael Clarke have to do to get up there?? He was again brilliant this series, his knock in the 1st match was unlucky not to get him the MOTM award. He again saved our backsides in the 2nd match, and then scored quick runs in the final overs of the final!

Dravid

International Captain
Clapo said:
Great Stuff by Hussey!! One must ask though, what does Michael Clarke have to do to get up there?? He was again brilliant this series, his knock in the 1st match was unlucky not to get him the MOTM award. He again saved our backsides in the 2nd match, and then scored quick runs in the final overs of the final!
If he keeps on performing like that in the Champs trophy he will be on there for sure

Perm

Clapo said:
My sentiments exactly Clapo, Clarke is a brilliant ODI batsman who almost always makes a good contribution to the Australian innings. But looking at the list of the Top 10 Ranked ODI Batsman you could say that all of them are very destructive players, with perhaps the exception of Sarwan and Sangakarra who are not as aggressive or destructive. I think that is perhaps why Clarke isn't currently in the top 10, and also the fact that he doesn't bat high up like almost all of those players. He is sitting at number 11, only 5 points behind Sangakarra so I would expect him to break into the top 10 during the Champions Trophy.

Dravid

International Captain
silentstriker said:
How the HELL is Pathan still in the top ten bowling?
He earned a lot of points for his previous performance...which another bowler still has to beat.

Turbinator

Cricketer Of The Year
silentstriker said:
What the HELL do you have against Indian Pacers.
Let the man enjoy his time up there till he has it.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
Turbinator said:
What the HELL do you have against Indian Pacers.
Um, the fact that they suck?

In any case, good for him that he's up there. I'm sure he'll look back on these days with fondness when he is 70. I have nothing against Pathan personally, but on form, there are definatly ten bowlers who are better than him atm. That's all.

Perm

Turbinator, I do think that marc had a very valid point about Irfan Pathan. I mean Pathan took 1 wicket at 54 in the DLF series whilst going at 9 runs an over. That is an absolutely shocking performance for a bowler but since it was only over 2 matches then it hasn't put a huge dent in his ICC ranking because he had such a high ranking coming into the DLF series.

adharcric

International Coach
silentstriker said:
Perhaps he was actually a top-class one-day bowler over the past year, with the exception of the last two series? Worth consideration IMO.

adharcric

International Coach
silentstriker said:
on form, there are definatly ten bowlers who are better than him atm. That's all.
There's a reason rankings aren't made "on form". The rankings are made based on performance in a period short enough to reflect "recent" performance and long enough to not be drastically swayed by random (temporary) swings in "form". By your standard, Dravid and Ponting shouldn't be in the top 20 right now either as both had a poor series in Malaysia.

Last edited:

andyc

Good to see Bracks at number 4 for bowling (above McGrath, even). So underrated

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
Really shows the class that's present in the Australian ODI side right now. While Australia have lost quite a few matches when experimenting recently, a side including all of Gilchrist, Ponting, Symonds, Clarke, Hussey, Hogg, Lee, Bracken and McGrath would be tremendously hard to beat, and no other side can boast 9 genuinely high class ODI players. Australia should be strong favourites come the world cup with that lineup, even though the ODI field is the most even it has been in some time.

Incidentally, Clarke is 11th among the batsmen, 5 points behind Sangakkara.