• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Hugh Tayfield: The Elusive Genius

NotMcKenzie

International Debutant
Chris Law's upload of 'Cape Summer' probably contains the most footage one can find of Tayfield, particularly part 4 containing the final innings of the fourth and the final test against England in 1956/67:

There is an excerpt from an interview with him at 14:48 in the video above. I'd assume it is from the perhaps the (late?) eighties going on the caption's graphics and reference to 'official tests': this interview is not dated whereas some of the others are; the interviewer is South African. The documentary's narrator notes that little was known of him after his retirement.

Unfortunately, the only shot of him from a dead straight angle is here and he is mostly off screen. All the footage shows a very high action with little turn.

The dismissal of Bailey in the third test mentioned is here; however, the footage is not clear enough even though the shot is unobstructed. I will note that there seems to have been an assumption in the past from umpires that if the ball squirts off the pad at a right angle, then the batsman hit it. I have observed footage of dismissals from the eighties where even on the poor quality footage from back then, one can see a gap between bat and ball (which is also another nail in the 'you know when you hit it' thing morons keep saying).

Regarding how Tayfield was thought of by others, Peter Richardson in the part I posted above makes a comment about his experience of the tour, "Wonderful country, apart from the team. Lovely people; not so keen on some of their team, but there we are." This is not the only time he notes difficulties with certain people on either side in the film, but in perhaps older fashion, he never goes into detail. Given that he passed away in 2017 and the time separating us from then grows ever greater, I would not be sanguine about being able to uncover anything new, which is unfortunate.

Last edited:

Fuller Pilch

Hall of Fame Member
Really fascinating read. He certainly got some big bags of wickets (7, 8, and 9-fer) for someone who wasn't a big turner and (due to apartheid)obviously never bowled on Indian or Pakistani dust bowls and was restricted to SENA pitches. Sure to be selected soon in the greatest spinner voting thread.