• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

How would you rank the greatest test teams of all-time?

subshakerz

International Coach
I am putting my vote for Lloyd's WI, which takes them over the top in the count as Test Team No.1.

1. Lloyd's WI

Now we are selecting Test Team No.2 of the all-timers from the below options:

Bradman's Invincibles (1940s)
Hutton's England (mid-1950s)
Benaud's Australia (Late 1950s)
Worrell's WI (Early-1960s)
South Africa (late 60s)
Chappell's Australia (mid-1970s)
Imran's Pakistan (late 80s)
Cronje's SA (mid-late 90s)
Akram's Pakistan (mid-late 90s)
Waugh's Australia (Early 2000s)
Vaughn's England (Mid-2000s)
Dhoni's India (late 2000s)
Strauss's England (Early 2010s)
Smith's SA (Early 2010s)
Kohli's India (Late 2010s)
Williamson's NZ (Early 2020s)

subshakerz

International Coach
WI didn't struggle vs Bob Holland. He literally took wickets vs wi in dead rubbers. Then there's hirwani who took wickets on a literal dust bowl. Still, none of these situations ever cost WI a series, so....But if we're using that as a measurement, Warne had a decent record vs the WI team of his time. Doubt he'd do much better vs the much stronger lineup of the 80s.
WI did struggle against Qadir though also. I think it would be fair to say Warne could win Australia a game in a 5-test rubber against Lloyd's team but overall Lloyd, Gomes and Viv would take him on too. But I think the pacers make the difference between the two sides.

trundler

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Have no reason to put Waugh's Australia over The Invincibles and vice versa so will hold out for arguments to be presented.

subshakerz

International Coach
Have no reason to put Waugh's Australia over The Invincibles and vice versa so will hold out for arguments to be presented.
I also think Waugh's vs the Invincibles is a really close call. The Bradman factor is hard to ignore but then McWarne is the successful bowling combo ever.

trundler

Interesting how both Lloyd's WI and Invincibles had one middle order jobber (Bacchus/Logie, Loxton). Shows you just how rare having 6 world class batsmen is. Think we had a discussion about batting orders which have 6 guys averaging over 40 and there were a lot of 00s road beneficiaries in there. And the great Australian side of that time carried Lee.

Slifer

International Captain
WI did struggle against Qadir though also. I think it would be fair to say Warne could win Australia a game in a 5-test rubber against Lloyd's team but overall Lloyd, Gomes and Viv would take him on too. But I think the pacers make the difference between the two sides.
It seriously depends on where the game is played. Again, vs the 90s Wi team, Warne was not the difference maker it was McGrath and Waugh who made the difference. And forget about Lloyd and Viv. Kallicharan was a beast vs spin.

Slifer

International Captain
Interesting how both Lloyd's WI and Invincibles had one middle order jobber (Bacchus/Logie, Loxton). Shows you just how rare having 6 world class batsmen is. Think we had a discussion about batting orders which have 6 guys averaging over 40 and there were a lot of 00s road beneficiaries in there. And the great Australian side of that time carried Lee.
Those two were not a part of Lloyds atg wi team. Logie came later and Bacchus was a one or two test off. Gomes, well yeah he was consistently there. But there was a time WI had a top 6 of Haynes, Greenidge, Viv, Kalli, Rowe and Lloyd. Not world beating but pretty decent imo. The WI from the 60s imo, had a much better batting lineup only really missing a second decent opener to compliment Hunte.

trundler

Those two were not a part of Lloyds atg wi team. Logie came later and Bacchus was a one or two test off. Gomes, well yeah he was consistently there. But there was a time WI had a top 6 of Haynes, Greenidge, Viv, Kalli, Rowe and Lloyd. Not world beating but pretty decent imo. The WI from the 60s imo, had a much better batting lineup only really missing a second decent opener to compliment Hunte.
I know Logie came along later but he had pretty much the same career as Bavuma. The Aussie sides had way more depth in batting. Marto was world class and they still had Law/Love/Siddons etc. On the other hand, there's Lee. I agree with 60s WI being a better batting outfit and possibly India 2000s too. England with Hutton, Compton, May and Graveney was quite good too. Did 3 W's overlap with Stollmeyer and Rae at their best? That would've been quite exceptional.

kyear2

Cricketer Of The Year
Yeah but you could very easily replace McGrath and Lindwall with Garner and Holding and there wouldnt be any major discernible decrease in the attacks strength. Of course the same could be said of Hayden for Greenidge etc so there's that. Man for man imo, is not a good way to separate the teams.
Not McGrath, but definitely replace Lindwall with Garner or Holding

Slifer

International Captain
I know Logie came along later but he had pretty much the same career as Bavuma. The Aussie sides had way more depth in batting. Marto was world class and they still had Law/Love/Siddons etc. On the other hand, there's Lee. I agree with 60s WI being a better batting outfit and possibly India 2000s too. England with Hutton, Compton, May and Graveney was quite good too. Did 3 W's overlap with Stollmeyer and Rae at their best? That would've been quite exceptional.
Looks like they did in the 1950 series in England:

Rae
Stollmeyer
Worrell
Weekes
Walcott+

Slifer

International Captain
Not McGrath, but definitely replace Lindwall with Garner or Holding
Well no, Garner and Holding aren't as good as McGrath but replacing McGrath with Garner will not lead to any discernible decrease in the attacks strength.

The Sean

Cricketer Of The Year
Looks like they did in the 1950 series in England:

Rae
Stollmeyer
Worrell
Weekes
Walcott+
That was a terrific side - they had a great spin duo as well in Ramadhin and Valentine. The only thing that team was really missing - ironically, given what came later - was a top class pace attack!

kyear2

Cricketer Of The Year
From the end of WW2 to the end of the 40s, Australia played 21 tests for 16 wins and 0 losses.

45/46 - absolutely destroyed NZ in a one-off test despite Cowie taking lots of wickets (and didn't play them in another test for almost 30 years)
46/47 - won 5 match Ashes in Australia 3-0
47/48 - won 5 match series v India in Aus 4-0
48 - won 5 match Ashes in England 4-0 (strong English team on paper)
49 (post Bradman) - won 5 match series in South Africa 4-0
To be fair though that's 4 tours, and a one off vs a minnow and India was equally garbage. Additionally while the invincibles extended as Sean pointed out until '52, but Bradman retired in '49, after which they don't quite compare to the other two teams.

Last edited:

Nikhil99.99

U19 Cricketer
Invincibles.My line up would be-
Barnes
Morris
Bradman(c)
Hassett
Harvey
Brown/loxton
Miller
Lindwall