• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

How would the “Big 4” openers of the 2000s fare in today’s era?

Kirkut

International Regular
Almost every team now including Afghanistan and Bangladesh have 2 fast bowlers who can bowl at 140+ consistently, backs in 2000s you would expect such novelty only from Australia and Pakistan.

Not an easy era for batters, I'd say Smith (Graeme) would do better than the other three with Cook coming in second followed by Hayden and then Sehwag.

Kirkut

International Regular
Besides if Sehwag played today, we would have never got to know his true talent given how meh the spin attack is in test cricket these days.

Smoking Shadab Khan and Leach for huge sixes lacks that wow factor.

Bolo.

International Vice-Captain
Extrapolating from a single player is always dumb, but Hayden really just seems like a better version of Warner to me. Warner averages 47. People are thinking Hayden would average a fair bit below Warner in his place?

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Extrapolating from a single player is always dumb, but Hayden really just seems like a better version of Warner to me. Warner averages 47. People are thinking Hayden would average a fair bit below Warner in his place?
Warner doesn't average 47 in today's era though tbf. He played most of his career on home roads even roadier than Hayden. Warner only averages 40 since 2019 which is often pointed to as the time world cricket started getting a lot more bowler-friendly for whatever reason, and only 34 since 2020.

Bolo.

International Vice-Captain
Warner doesn't average 47 in today's era though tbf. He played most of his career on home roads even roadier than Hayden. Warner only averages 40 since 2019 which is often pointed to as the time world cricket started getting a lot more bowler-friendly for whatever reason, and only 34 since 2020.
Lot's of definitional issues here. Batting has typically been getting tougher worldwide for a decade +, and there is no clear cuttoff for an era. 4 years shouldn't be considered an era IMO.

Warner is getting old too... may explain his last couple of years more than conditions. Or probably not.

Anyway, guess if I'm being real specific about the player comparison, got to be real specific about the conditions. Aus at least is in a vastly different era to other parts of Warner's career. Feel like Hayden would have managed 50+ playing for the whole of Warner's career (at least judging off Warner). Nothing special in the last few years, unless it was at his peak.

TheJediBrah

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Warner's definitely gotten significantly worse over the last 3-4 years, much more than conditions have gotten harder

Could be a coincidence but the ban might have ruined him

Coronis

Cricketer Of The Year
Yeah but he’s played what 20 tests in that time? And its not like he’s in his prime at all anymore, as Bolo said it seems too short a period of time to define an era.. and in Warner’s case is it more bowling friendly conditions or him being older and worse than before (probably a combination).

I mean what is the thread even asking tbh, how much would they average over the last decade? The last 5 years? The last 2?

_00_deathscar

International Regular
Yeah but he’s played what 20 tests in that time? And its not like he’s in his prime at all anymore, as Bolo said it seems too short a period of time to define an era.. and in Warner’s case is it more bowling friendly conditions or him being older and worse than before (probably a combination).

I mean what is the thread even asking tbh, how much would they average over the last decade? The last 5 years? The last 2?
Last 10 years so since 2012.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
My opinion is batting got tougher since 2016-17 season. Just take records from July 2016 onwards as the bowling friendly era. Its not very precise but it cuts closer to the reality than any other point IMO. 2019 is just laughably off.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Almost every team now including Afghanistan and Bangladesh have 2 fast bowlers who can bowl at 140+ consistently, backs in 2000s you would expect such novelty only from Australia and Pakistan.

Not an easy era for batters, I'd say Smith (Graeme) would do better than the other three with Cook coming in second followed by Hayden and then Sehwag.
That's actually not so

Kirkut

International Regular
That's actually not so
It's accurate. SA had no Donald and Steyn was okayish in 2000s, West Indies? Nope, not many I can think of, Bond was there for NZ but got injured often, Flintoff was fiery in 2005 but not someone who averaged at 140 kph and above.

Adorable Asshole

International Regular
It's accurate. SA had no Donald and Steyn was okayish in 2000s, West Indies? Nope, not many I can think of, Bond was there for NZ but got injured often, Flintoff was fiery in 2005 but not someone who averaged at 140 kph and above.
SL had Malinga, Eng had Harmission, SA had Ntini and Steyn.