• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

How would the “Big 4” openers of the 2000s fare in today’s era?

_00_deathscar

International Regular
Generally accepted as Smith > Sehwag/Hayden > Cook, with some minor disagreements.

Given today’s bowling conditions, how would these guys go now?
I reckon Smith would be a moderate upgrade on Elgar.
Sehwag/Hayden’s averages would probably drop the most, but they’re also the most likely to win you games probably in a 200 meets 200 type shoot off we’re seeing recently by scoring a quick fire 40-70 or something.
Cook is the one I’m having a hard time with figuring out how he’d do

Averages for all would plummet, closer to the early 40s.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
I think Smith and Sehwag in particular might move down the order to stop the new ball h4x. Smith would still be a top 5 bat in the world right now if he batted 4 instead IMO, and given Rassie bats there now... he'd be allowed.

Running away from Hoggard except unironically and consistently.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
I was racking my brains to figure out who the 4th would be. Never expected Cook tbh.
Cook was roughly equal to Sehwag and better than Hayden IMO. I think people underestimate how favourable the era+conditions combination Hayden enjoyed actually was. I'm not full Richard "Atherton was better" Dickinson but he was kind of onto something there IMO.

Kirsten > Cook but he was more of a 90s opener I guess, had mostly moved to #5 even when he continued to play this century.

BazBall21

International Vice-Captain
They would all be less successful in the 90s or 2015-2022. Probably much less successful.

Last edited:

BazBall21

Smith still did seriously well in England considering he was opening but he got very flat pitches there. Definitely flatter than the ones Hayden got in 2005. Got roads in WI too. Both places would challenge him considerably more now. The last two NZ tours would be tougher as well. Suspect he would have a more middling record in Asia. He struggled at home in his actual career. Wouldn’t have been better there in a bowling era. I suspect if he roughly had Elgar’s career timing he would average around 43. Early 40s area likely in the 90s too. Home average taking a small dent and away average taking a big one. Brilliant gritty player. Arguably the best of the quartet, but wasn’t without technique problems that would have been exposed in most conditions a little more in this era.

Hayden notoriously wasn’t suited to lateral movement. There’s a lot more of that, and we are also to assume he would play more Tests before his peak in a different life. I think he would still average the most of the four but with more of a home bully reputation cemented. Would have had a good battle with Ashwin.

Sehwag would still play the odd monster knock but would predominately be an Asian bully. Australia was a place he did well in outside Asia. Would he survive Cummins/Hazlewood in 2018/19 and 2020/21? Would have little chance in the recent SA/Eng/NZ tours unless they gave up with him opening and shifted him to no5.

Cook would be affected even more than Hayden/Smith imo. Honestly not sure he averages 40 in a bowling era opening in England (90s or 2015-2022). He would still be England’s second best Test bat by a distance though of course and probably would have had a decent year this year ironically. Good conditions in the WI, NZ series and probably Pakistan.

So yeah they’d all still be successful to some extent, just not as much as they were.

BazBall21

Cook was very brave, patient and knew how to handle the short ball. He would be more suited to a bouncer-heavy era than this era which feeds his more obvious weakness, lateral movement.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Cook was roughly equal to Sehwag and better than Hayden IMO. I think people underestimate how favourable the era+conditions combination Hayden enjoyed actually was. I'm not full Richard "Atherton was better" Dickinson but he was kind of onto something there IMO.

Kirsten > Cook but he was more of a 90s opener I guess, had mostly moved to #5 even when he continued to play this century.
Cook had one great, meaningful series in his career. That aside he was a plodder. He tried hard but was très ordinaire overall. He was great in 10/11, but that aside did any opposing fan ever watch a series and think “oh ****, they’ve got that piano playing toff on their side. I think we’re ****ed”? Of course not

Ashes81

State Vice-Captain
Cook had one great, meaningful series in his career. That aside he was a plodder. He tried hard but was très ordinaire overall. He was great in 10/11, but that aside did any opposing fan ever watch a series and think “oh ****, they’ve got that piano playing toff on their side. I think we’re ****ed”? Of course not
Cook - a plodder - comedy gold mate :laughing:

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Incredible that he scoffed another 30-odd tons really. imagine how many he’d have scored if he was anything but ordinary.