• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

How old were you....

bugssy

Cricketer Of The Year
so for me example how much longer do i have before i get pushed out into the wilderness.........oh this is no good guys....i want to be here for ever.....

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
bugssy said:
so for me example how much longer do i have before i get pushed out into the wilderness.........oh this is no good guys....i want to be here for ever.....
You're an allrounder, but you've not bowled much in recent seasons. If you slow to medium-fast or medium, you could probably play into your 40s. If you give up bowling, you'd definitely play into your 40s I'd think.

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
What makes you think we need to change the way things are working right now?

Test Squad
Mork (18)
Mamesh (2)
Cloete (54)
Butler (18)
Kearsley (10)
Goff (49)
Camps (22)
Cunningham (3)
Hoy (2)
Halsey (8)
Pickup (44)
Wright (29)
Kennett (20)

There's ample guard-changing as it stands. Until we get to the stage where things get so ridiculously static that newcomers haven't a chance of Internationals, we have no need to change things around and start punishing people for being committed.

mikeW

International Vice-Captain
i joined in 2004 if i remember correctly so i wouldve been 14. i started during club cricket of that season iirc.

Last edited:

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
Blaze said:
If the old guard are adamant about staying in the Cricket Web XI for their entire stay on Cricket Web then maybe if plenty of people continue to sign up we could see 2 teams from Cricket Web competing in the international arena as two diferent countries.

Obviously that would be an unlikely scenario any time soon but down the track if there are enough player numbers we could have 2 seperate domestic competitions leading on to two seperate countries so that more people get the chance to play international cricket.
A better option would be to increase the number of matches that CW A play. This would give you two national team, but still keep it realistic.

Also with pretty much every team have 16 to 18 players, so using the theory that was used during the last expand, if the team increase to 19 then there will hopefully be a new team. Hopefully next time there is a new team guys like Groojer(sp), Langley and Gray will get a chance to play in the new team and not just give the spots to a bunch of rookies and leave guys in their position, still on the side lines.

Loony BoB

International Captain
Neil Pickup said:
What makes you think we need to change the way things are working right now?

Test Squad
Mork (18)
Mamesh (2)
Cloete (54)
Butler (18)
Kearsley (10)
Goff (49)
Camps (22)
Cunningham (3)
Hoy (2)
Halsey (8)
Pickup (44)
Wright (29)
Kennett (20)

There's ample guard-changing as it stands. Until we get to the stage where things get so ridiculously static that newcomers haven't a chance of Internationals, we have no need to change things around and start punishing people for being committed.
Are you saying that not being in the CWXI would be considered punishment for you? Again, look at those who have been around as long as you have and are being kicked out of teams and in recent seasons have often struggled to make a first XI for the dev side despite being around since season one/two.

I'm not saying there is no change of the guard at the moment. I'm saying that if certain players stay in the side for 20+ seasons and are constantly improving, then newer players will get less and less opportunities as time goes on to have a chance. You tell me what the first XI for Australia would be if players never lost speed, never lost strength and never retired. Same for any other country.

Even Liam is happy with the suggestion and he's put more work into this place than anyone.

EDIT: Also, most of the reason for there being a change of guard at present is because the players retire. This system would make no change to those players obviously, it would only make a change to those who hang around for a long, long time. If those players never retired then the guard changing we see today would be very limited, I would imagine. All we're suggesting is we actually say "if you haven't retired by this time, we'll have to retire you." Good examples would be keeping or spinning, positions that for the most part can only be filled by one person. If we got 'superplayers' of the likes of Cloete to fill in these roles, and then stick around for all time, then no spinner or keeper would ever get a chance to play for the CWXI.

Last edited:

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
I think Neil's main point is that there is a change of the guard and also apart from Goff and Malone no one is anywhere near a retirement age and both are alteast 5 season away from it. What the point of talking about something that is atleast two years away.

Loony BoB

International Captain
Setting a standard. Also, I still don't see how it's punishment. It's not like not being in the CWXI is a bad thing. Also, there are other players that we don't know the ages of yet, and of course there are also players that might want to restart at a certain point after spending 10 seasons in relative obscurity.

We're also talking about physical aging (strength, speed), which would come into play should we use Neil's sim. Of course, these things are countered by mental strenths improving, along with other stats that are based on knowledge and abilities not affected by strength/speed.

Also, helps with realism.

Also, gives us something to talk about. :D

bugssy

Cricketer Of The Year
chaminda_00 said:
I think Neil's main point is that there is a change of the guard and also apart from Goff and Malone no one is anywhere near a retirement age and both are alteast 5 season away from it. What the point of talking about something that is atleast two years away.

shhhhhhh stop telling.i went and bought some young pills and i have just dropped down to a fit and young 18 year old........:P

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
Loony BoB said:
Are you saying that not being in the CWXI would be considered punishment for you? Again, look at those who have been around as long as you have and are being kicked out of teams and in recent seasons have often struggled to make a first XI for the dev side despite being around since season one/two.
No, I'm saying that having skills forcefully reduced is punishment.

Loony BoB

International Captain
Happens to the best of them. You don't see Lillee running in for Australia anymore.

EDIT: And strength/speed should not be confused with skill. Just because you aren't as strong or as fast as you are in your prime age doesn't mean that you aren't smarter and better with shot selection, better on front-foot or back-foot, etc. Skills can be learned and not forgotten. Speed and strength dying down as you get older is a fact of life.

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Players who signed up as more than 20 years old will be allowed to adjust their starting age to 19.