• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

How many Tests will they play??

JOJOXI

International Vice-Captain
I was wondering to myself how many Test matches will Axar Patel end up playing. Presumably you can either add Hardik Pandya or another batsman at home when Jadeja is back but with Jadeja 5 years Axar's senior presumably still hope for a late career bloom for Axar. And he has made a big case to be 1st reserve in Asia if Jadeja/Ashwin are rested or injured. With that in mind I thought I'd ask CW how many Tests they think the following players will end up playing and see how this looks years in the future.

Glenn Phillips
Shimron Hetmyer
Kusal Mendis
Travis Head
Zubayr Hamza
Shai Hope
Axar Patel
Keemo Paul
Jofra Archer
Jack Leach
Naseem Shah
Nayeem Hasan

JOJOXI

Glenn Phillips - 21
Shimron Hetmyer - 64
Kusal Mendis - 87
Travis Head - 46
Zubayr Hamza - 46
Shai Hope - 54
Axar Patel - 29
Keemo Paul - 31
Jofra Archer - 56
Jack Leach - 38
Naseem Shah - 81
Nayeem Hasan - 45

JOJOXI

Naseem Shah 81? I'd be surprised if he ever plays again.
Only 18 - presumed he might have a year or 2 when he's in and out the side but if at 20 he had 10 years in the side at say 6.5 Tests a year that's 65 plus a couple in the 2 years up to then perhaps plays 5 Tests plus the 9 he has already played and just looking at him playing 2 more post 30 - I made my prediction presuming he retires early at 30 or 31 or he has a few big injuries along the way.

cnerd123

likes this
I reckon once you're discarded from the Pakistani pace attack it's nearly impossible to get back in. We've seen it happen so much before. Plus all Naseem really has going for him is pace, which already was fading with the increased workload.

nightprowler10

Global Moderator
Naseem will get 50 Tests max. Don't forget we're not one of the big 3. So for him to be able to play 81 Tests he'd have to be a regular and play most of our Tests. I just don't see it happening, happy to be proven wrong.

ParwazHaiJunoon

First Class Debutant
Naseem Shah 81? I'd be surprised if he ever plays again.
He will be in the squad for upcoming Test Series in WI. IA.

Andy Roberts take on Naseem Shah in 2016.
“I must say that I very much liked a young fast bowler by the name of Nasim. He is just 16-year-old. I am sorry that I did not have at least two, three weeks’ time to work with him. This fellow is very aggressive, he has real pace and he is so young. Once he has the passion and he maintains it, he will reach well. He is a very good prospect.”
Waqar messed up Naseem's action :@

PCB should avail Andy Robert's services for at least 2-3 weeks. Better late than never.

ParwazHaiJunoon

First Class Debutant
I was wondering to myself how many Test matches will Axar Patel end up playing. Presumably you can either add Hardik Pandya or another batsman at home when Jadeja is back but with Jadeja 5 years Axar's senior presumably still hope for a late career bloom for Axar. And he has made a big case to be 1st reserve in Asia if Jadeja/Ashwin are rested or injured. With that in mind I thought I'd ask CW how many Tests they think the following players will end up playing and see how this looks years in the future.

Glenn Phillips
Shimron Hetmyer
Kusal Mendis
Travis Head
Zubayr Hamza
Shai Hope
Axar Patel
Keemo Paul
Jofra Archer
Jack Leach
Naseem Shah
Nayeem Hasan
You missed Devon Conway, Sam Curran, Muhammad Siraj & James Pattinson.

JOJOXI

Naseem will get 50 Tests max. Don't forget we're not one of the big 3. So for him to be able to play 81 Tests he'd have to be a regular and play most of our Tests. I just don't see it happening, happy to be proven wrong.
I guess it depends if he ever gets a long run in the side but at 18 presuming he's in and out for a couple of years and develops given he is just 18 so far, going to stick with 81 but guess I understand it could be seen as a tad optimistic as it presumes he develops although on the other hand, if he does develop plays until 34/35 and doesn't get any big injuries, if at say 21 he gets into the starting XI that is 13 or 14 years of Test cricket to play 72 Tests (and that presumes he doesn't play Test cricket again before 21).

You missed Devon Conway, Sam Curran, Muhammad Siraj & James Pattinson.
Feel free to predict them in this thread if you want! :) Wanted to pick players relatively youngish on the whole who were I don't know the right word - not outcasts but it seems that everyone rates Conway and he is a bit older then most in this list, I actually had another Kiwi in Rachin Ravindra in my initial list but took him off in part because of that and also my list was getting pretty long. Forgot Siraj in all honesty, and thought about Pattinson - he was on my initial list too as was Sam Curran who intrigues me too especially with the amount of Tests England play could he become a 100+ Test player or does he end up just always in and out.

Naseem Shah probably one of the few I thought were likely to end up being a big player but others in this list are currently dropped - (I know Naseem Shah didn't play v SA but he played the last overseas tour). Likes of Leach intrigued me as he seems to me the best spinner for England by a decent margin currently but lacks the batting of Bess or Moeen of the past. Archer splits opinion - is he going to be the leader of this attack post Anderson/Broad or will he be in and out and mostly play limited overs cricket? Does Hetmyer ever become the fully responsible Test batsman? Does Keemo Paul get back into the Test side ever? Time on his side if he develops well to fit in at number 8 in place of Holder longer term - on the other hand I also wouldn't be especially stunned if he never played a Test again.

Magrat Garlick

Global Moderator
Glenn Phillips - 21
Shimron Hetmyer - 64
Kusal Mendis - 87
Travis Head - 46
Zubayr Hamza - 46
Shai Hope - 54
Axar Patel - 29
Keemo Paul - 31
Jofra Archer - 56
Jack Leach - 38
Naseem Shah - 81
Nayeem Hasan - 45
i'm fairly confident the average will be lower than this. most players don't get more than 10 tests.

Leach I think might end up higher, even though he's the oldest listed (iirc); everyone wants an SLA these days and he probably fulfils the "spinner in England" role better than any realistic alternative.

Starfighter

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Only 18 - presumed he might have a year or 2 when he's in and out the side but if at 20 he had 10 years in the side at say 6.5 Tests a year that's 65 plus a couple in the 2 years up to then perhaps plays 5 Tests plus the 9 he has already played and just looking at him playing 2 more post 30 - I made my prediction presuming he retires early at 30 or 31 or he has a few big injuries along the way.
Aside from almost certainly being older than 18 (he was 16 in that article with Roberts and was then somehow still 16 2 1/2 years later) the simple fact is most pace bowlers don't make it that far. Waqar started at a similar age and managed 87, though of course he had a major injury in that time.

I must say that I'm still totally unconvinced by Hetmyer. Haven't seen anything that indicates he has the game to be more than a limited overs hitter.

Leach I think might end up higher, even though he's the oldest listed (iirc); everyone wants an SLA these days and he probably fulfils the "spinner in England" role better than any realistic alternative.
I think you're forgetting that England's main criteria for selecting a spinner is how well they bat.

cnerd123

likes this
If Archer continues being a spud with the bat they're definitely going to pick Bess over Leach in home conditions.

Red_Ink_Squid

Cricketer Of The Year
If Archer continues being a spud with the bat they're definitely going to pick Bess over Leach in home conditions.
Or Ali. Or play Woakes/Curran in place of one of Anderson/Broad/Archer.

But yeah, been a while since England might not want to pick their best bowling attack due to batting concerns.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Or Ali. Or play Woakes/Curran in place of one of Anderson/Broad/Archer.

But yeah, been a while since England might not want to pick their best bowling attack due to batting concerns.
So back to resting one of Anderson/Broad each test at home too?

R E S T
E
S
T

SillyCowCorner1

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Glenn Phillips-54
Shimron Hetmyer- 105
Kusal Mendis- 93
Travis Head- 72
Zubayr Hamza- 21
Shai Hope- 81
Axar Patel-54
Keemo Paul- 30
Jofra Archer- 42
Jack Leach- 47
Naseem Shah- 60
Nayeem Hasan-50

Beamer

I must say that I'm still totally unconvinced by Hetmyer. Haven't seen anything that indicates he has the game to be more than a limited overs hitter.
Depends what you mean by limited overs hitter. He has 6 ODI hundreds already, so I think he's a lot better than just someone who plays important cameos.

I think he's insanely talented, probably one of the most gifted on world cricket. But I'm not putting money on him playing lots of tests as he's not getting the chance to play FC cricket to develop.