• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

how many senoir players retiring (confirmed) after the worldcup?

Evermind

International Debutant
thats embarassing if england use nixon for any longer. hes the worst keeper-batsmen in the world. still cant get over the fact hes playing at the world cup.
He's still better than Read and Jones, from his current performance.

Trigger_Tiger

U19 Captain

Mohammad Rafique - 36 years 199 days old :ph34r:!!!!!

He's still fit enough to play and is very unlikely to retire, but can go since he is old enough :unsure:?!?!?!?!?!

In response to Richard's Davies > O'Brien comment when Niall was in Australia playing for my club a few of the guys asked him about the possibility of playing for England as a result of Ed Joyce defecting he stated he didn't really feel the urge to play for anyone than his own country ( Things may of changed) with a few of you guys and presumebly the English media talking him up as taking a part in the 2011 WC I think it's ridicoulas how England poach such talented players to strengthen thier ranks how about England produce some talented and rounded cricket capable of taking the step instead of just looking abroad. Focus on the current 16,17 year olds.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
In response to Richard's Davies > O'Brien comment when Niall was in Australia playing for my club a few of the guys asked him about the possibility of playing for England as a result of Ed Joyce defecting he stated he didn't really feel the urge to play for anyone than his own country ( Things may of changed) with a few of you guys and presumebly the English media talking him up as taking a part in the 2011 WC I think it's ridicoulas how England poach such talented players to strengthen thier ranks how about England produce some talented and rounded cricket capable of taking the step instead of just looking abroad. Focus on the current 16,17 year olds.
Well, it's not like England would be "stealing" a player from another TPN. I seriously doubt O'Brien would turn down a chance at playing test cricket.. it's one of those things you might like to think would happen in principle, but I doubt it'd happen in practice.

It'd be a travesty if he proved himself good enough for test cricket and then didn't play it, IMO. Especially if England had someone of Chris Read proportions in their test side.

Sandman

Cricket Spectator
Well he didn't seem to do too badly with the bat against NZ last week...
Doesn't mean anything if they don't win. And anyone who knows how to hold a bat can score runs against NZ's often woeful bowling attack. If Nixon is the best England has to offer, maybe they'd be better off playing an extra batsman and letting Flintoff wicket keep drunk... :laugh:

Which they certainly should do - if they bring Davies in before he's ready he'll be a bit like McCullum used to be for us...dreadful. We're getting repaid for our patience with him now, but it would have been better to wait a couple of years before bringing him in IMO so I hope they do that with Davies.
McCullum was only dreadful when NZ tried opening with him.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Well, it's not like England would be "stealing" a player from another TPN. I seriously doubt O'Brien would turn down a chance at playing test cricket.. it's one of those things you might like to think would happen in principle, but I doubt it'd happen in practice.

It'd be a travesty if he proved himself good enough for test cricket and then didn't play it, IMO. Especially if England had someone of Chris Read proportions in their test side.
TBH, there's not a lot in O'Brien-Read.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
McCullum was only dreadful when NZ tried opening with him.
I think Ed was referring to his wicket keeping more than his batting. And even his batting itself was fairly dire early on.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Read looked to have potential at his age, too.

I've always thought O'Brien could be pretty good, but I've never seen anything in him to suggest to me that he was gonna be any better than Read.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Read looked to have potential at his age, too.

I've always thought O'Brien could be pretty good, but I've never seen anything in him to suggest to me that he was gonna be any better than Read.
Unless Read's batting technique has gone backwards, then I find it hard to believe, tbh. O'Brien looks far more sound at the crease to me than Read has ever from what I've seen - admittedly I've only seen him bat three times, but his technique and batting style would make me back him over Read any day of the week.

Of course though, wicket keeping still is partially about wicket keeping.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
This is based on just one innings however.He did have a very poor season with Kent last year in domestic cricket.
It's based on three innings actually. I reckon I can judge batting potential after watching someone bat for an hour or so really - what they do with that potential is based on several other factors though - factors which quite obviously can't be judged over such a short time.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Let's wait and see how Niall does in the Super 8s before we pass judgement.
I really don't think my opinion of him will get any worse though, even if he gets out for six consequtive ducks.

At the moment, I see him as a guy who has a good batting technique and several effective shots but who lacks the experience, consistency and fine tuning to be a ODI standard player, or even a good List A standard player. Unless he completely changes his batting technique for some strange reason, I don't see my opinion of him getting worse.

Pup Clarke

Cricketer Of The Year
It's based on three innings actually. I reckon I can judge batting potential after watching someone bat for an hour or so really - what they do with that potential is based on several other factors though - factors which quite obviously can't be judged over such a short time.
Going along with Richard however he has done next to nothing in First-Class cricket and if for Northants he scores consistent runs over the next 2-3 years he might be considered better than Read.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Unless Read's batting technique has gone backwards, then I find it hard to believe, tbh. O'Brien looks far more sound at the crease to me than Read has ever from what I've seen - admittedly I've only seen him bat three times, but his technique and batting style would make me back him over Read any day of the week.
Read isn't always as bad as he has been in most of his Tests. And TBH, yes, he did used to look better than he has done of late. Who knows why he's gone so badly downhill. Back in 2003 he looked $1,000,000.
Of course though, wicket keeping still is partially about wicket keeping.
As a wicketkeeper as far as I'm aware O'Brien's perfectly sound.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Going along with Richard however he has done next to nothing in First-Class cricket and if for Northants he scores consistent runs over the next 2-3 years he might be considered better than Read.
I never said he was better than Read - I said he was potentially better than Read. It's quite different. Quite clearly at the moment, he has done little to suggest that he is so, but I believe he has the technique and shot range to be significantly better than Read if he continues to develop and grow as a cricketer. Obviously that doesn't always happen - but I'm putting my posting credibility on the line to say O'Brien will be a better batsman than Chris Read by the time his career ends.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
I really don't think my opinion of him will get any worse though, even if he gets out for six consequtive ducks.

At the moment, I see him as a guy who has a good batting technique and several effective shots but who lacks the experience, consistency and fine tuning to be a ODI standard player, or even a good List A standard player. Unless he completely changes his batting technique for some strange reason, I don't see my opinion of him getting worse.
To date he's not had too much chance to bat high in the order for Kent, hopefully he might with his change of counties.