• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

How does Ravindra Jadeja compare with Kapil Dev and Ian Botham ( Tests)

Jadeja vs Kapil vs Botham- the better A/R

• Total voters
  • This poll will close: .

Coronis

Cricketer Of The Year
Yeah but he was averaging over 50 in Aus, Ind, Eng and NZ in his batting peak from 1980 to career end.

I can concede that 37 is a bit inflated average overall but posters here go way overboard in downplaying his batting.

Please review his record below in this long stretch of his career and tell me how Jadeja is better exactly:

Lol. You have seen his matches though, where he actually scored tons etc.? Almost all of them were flat as **** wickets where multiple Pakistani batsmen scored tons.

Note: I am not comparing him to Jadeja at all here. I’m just talking about his batting being overrated in general.

subshakerz

International Coach
Lol. You have seen his matches though, where he actually scored tons etc.? Almost all of them were flat as **** wickets where multiple Pakistani batsmen scored tons.

Note: I am not comparing him to Jadeja at all here. I’m just talking about his batting being overrated in general.
Ok so first your complaint was scoring only at home. At least keep your argument consistent.

subshakerz

International Coach
I am. He scored in easy conditions on flat wickets where everyone else made hay.
Except when he didn't. But at a certain point sheer output matters also. Also the fact that Imran had multiple full tours in these places.

Last edited:

_00_deathscar

International Regular
To clarify, when I made that comment I meant away. But at home he obviously is good.
Since 2020 alone, away only:
  • 57 @ MCG when the team was 173/5 with a very long tail coming up. This turned both the game, and the series around after going 1-0 down with the 36/9 game. When he got out, India were 306/7
  • 56 @ Nottingham when the team was 145/5, again with a very long tail coming up. 232/8 when he got out. India drew the game.
  • 40 @ Lords , India 282/5 when he came in. 364 all out when he got out. The last 4 after Jadeja put on 8 runs. India won by 151 runs.
  • 104 @ Birmingham, India 98/5 when he enters, 375/9 when he gets out. Puts on a big partnership with Pant to post a competitive total. Unfortunately India lose this test.
  • 48 @ The Oval (vs Australia), coming in at 71/4. Leaves at 142/5 - not a massive contribution, admittedly, but more than everyone else in that innings except Rahane and The Lord
Not including his innings vs West Indies (some runs there too), and since you're focusing on just away tests, not including his very key contribution at home to ensure that we not only lose, but actually win home tests.

Considering you claim he doesn't even play that many away tests (which is right - but also note that in recent times, it's more due to injury than being dropped...he's largely first choice now in the team over Ashwin - right or wrong as that may be), those are some pretty key contributions and hardly "downhill skiing" - in just about 10 tests or so in the last 4 years away from home.

Last edited:

subshakerz

International Coach
Since 2020 alone, away only:
  • 57 @ MCG when the team was 173/5 with a very long tail coming up. This turned both the game, and the series around after going 1-0 down with the 36/9 game. When he got out, India were 306/7
  • 56 @ Nottingham when the team was 145/5, again with a very long tail coming up. 232/8 when he got out. India drew the game.
  • 40 @ Lords , India 282/5 when he came in. 364 all out when he got out. The last 4 after Jadeja put on 8 runs. India won by 151 runs.
  • 104 @ Birmingham, India 98/5 when he enters, 375/9 when he gets out. Puts on a big partnership with Pant to post a competitive total. Unfortunately India lose this test.
  • 48 @ The Oval (vs Australia), coming in at 71/4. Leaves at 142/5 - not a massive contribution, admittedly, but more than everyone else in that innings except Rahane and The Lord
Not including his innings vs West Indies (some runs there too), and since you're focusing on just away tests, not including his very key contribution at home to ensure that we not only lose, but actually win home tests.

Considering you claim he doesn't even play that many away tests (which is right - but also note that in recent times, it's more due to injury than being dropped...he's largely first choice now in the team over Ashwin - right or wrong as that may be), those are some pretty key contributions and hardly "downhill skiing" - in just about 10 tests or so in the last 4 years away from home.
Yeah they shared me earlier in this thread so I give Jadeja more credit now. Imran has these performances too, I will add. I can imagine this matter between the two will be settled in a couple of years given upcoming foreign tours.

Pap Finn Keighl

International Debutant
Except he averaged 40 in his bowling peak from 1980 to 88, and scored more tons than Hadlee's career in that time. This is just a tired meme on this site.
Except his bowling peak ended in 1986.
Till then he played 60 tests averaged 30 with 2 100s.
In 1987, Imran played 10 tests and took only 29 wickets.

subshakerz

International Coach
Except his bowling peak ended in 1986.
Till then he played 60 tests averaged 30 with 2 100s.
In 1987, Imran played 10 tests and took only 29 wickets.
No. He had a good bowling series in England in 87 but a poor one in India. His bowling peak ended with his last great series against WI in 1988.