• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

How does Hoggard feel now about his pre match comments?

BWAHAHAHAHA.

That was a BIG mistake.

Especially given the fact that not only did both bowl like genius' but then compounded by the fact that Hoggard had a poor match, and was the worst of the English seamers.

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
Pretty stupid, I'd suggest. It's one thing for McGrath to target Strauss and Vaughan when he can back it up, another to criticise the best bowler in the world and then have him rip your team apart while you bowl tripe. I quite like Hoggard as a bowler and I'm sure he's not that much of a fool all the time, but he sure looks like one right now.

Piper

International Captain
As the saying goes "let ur actions do the talking" but in Hoggards case he didnt and he's been made to look like an idiot... maybe he will learn for furture matches not to say something and then not be able to back it up :happy:

King_Ponting

International Regular
But in all seriousness, he must feel like the biggest tool. For someone of his average at best skill level to suggest the things he did is extremely stupid and shows arrogance on his behalf. I would love to see him get carted all over the park and end up with figures of 0 for 200 next match

Piper

International Captain
King_Ponting said:
But in all seriousness, he must feel like the biggest tool. For someone of his average at best skill level to suggest the things he did is extremely stupid and shows arrogance on his behalf. I would love to see him get carted all over the park and end up with figures of 0 for 200 next match
Yeh he was really stupid to say what he did about the best player and team in the world.. but he knows that he was wrong now (hopefully)... King figures of 0 for 200 is a bit far fetched lol try 0 for 150 ;)

That's what it comes down to. As annoyed as the English might be when Australia say things, THEY BACK IT UP

So even if you disagree with it, fine but it doesn't fall into the same catagory as what Hoggards done.

What Hoggard did just came across as so forced and smacked of desperation. It just heaped more pressure on him, given his already poor record v Aus.

Backfired bigtime.

King_Ponting

International Regular
Piper said:
Yeh he was really stupid to say what he did about the best player and team in the world.. but he knows that he was wrong now (hopefully)... King figures of 0 for 200 is a bit far fetched lol try 0 for 150 ;)
Lee got hammered for over 200 against india at the scg so its not too far fetched :D . But i know it isnt going to happen. But i would love to see it happen

Piper

International Captain
Shane Warne said:
That's what it comes down to. As annoyed as the English might be when Australia say things, THEY BACK IT UP

So even if you disagree with it, fine but it doesn't fall into the same catagory as what Hoggards done.

What Hoggard did just came across as so forced and smacked of desperation. It just heaped more pressure on him, given his already poor record v Aus.

Backfired bigtime.
Maybe he honestly thought that McGrath was past it... tho he wouldnt be the best player in the world if he was... Or he said that to put more pressure on to McGrath knowing that he would want to go out there and prove him wrong and the Hoggard hoping that with the pressure he would be proved right...

Piper

International Captain
King_Ponting said:
Lee got hammered for over 200 against india at the scg so its not too far fetched :D . But i know it isnt going to happen. But i would love to see it happen
Lol ok as long as it doesnt happen again (against Lee) i'll be ok with it lol :p

Lillian Thomson

Hall of Fame Member
Whatever he said was just hype, just like this thread is just anal gloating. Australia are by far the best team in the world which is why I predicted 4-0 in the predictions thread.

PY

International Coach
There'll be many more out of the woodwork before the end of the series I fancy. :D

Slow Love™

International Captain
I have some empathy for Hoggard, 'cause I feel a bit of a fool after my pre-match predictions that he would be the leading English wicket-taker in the series. :)

I think Warne may have gone over to Hoggard to give him a send off after Mcgrath got him out.

Anyone else notice him leave the celebrating huddle of Aussies?

Lillian Thomson

Hall of Fame Member
Shane Warne said:
I think Warne may have gone over to Hoggard to give him a send off after Mcgrath got him out.

Anyone else notice him leave the celebrating huddle of Aussies?
Yawns all around.

kendall

U19 Vice-Captain
I heard some people say Hoggard should be dropped and replaced by Colingwood which i dont think would be a good idea

Langeveldt

Soutie
I don't see why any Englishmen are saying anything at all about this ashes series and the Aussies involved.. it's not like they have any "high ground" to go shouting from is it? And after all, he could have done a bit better than picking two of the finest bowlers the world has ever seen to criticize maybe?

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Slow Love™ said:
I have some empathy for Hoggard, 'cause I feel a bit of a fool after my pre-match predictions that he would be the leading English wicket-taker in the series. :)
Don't give-up on that yet.
On a flatter pitch where the rest get the treatment he's likely to be more of a force.
And he at least once managed to dismiss Hayden with the inswinger, which is his most important task of the series.