• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

How do you think South Africa will fare in their next 3 away series ?

Salamuddin

International Debutant
v Pakistan
v India
v England

I predict 1-0 losses in Pakistan and India and a 1-1 draw in England.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
I predict that, being Pakistan, it's best not to predict; that they'll probably lose in India because most people do; and that if India can win in England so can South Africa.

Poker Boy

State Vice-Captain
Pakistan is hard to predict but if they maintain their progress in the 20/20 (I know its a different game but they have looked like a team here rather than the rabble they were in the WC) they would start favourites. To beat India away you need either good spinners or great fast bowlers (WI 83/84, SA themselves in 2000). SA have one spinner (Harris) who I would say is average and the fast bowling is nothing like it was in 2000 when AD was still there and Pololok and Kallis were beter than they are now so no chance there and I don't think they will beat England either. It might depend on the bowling - who'll be fit for us, are Pollok and Ntini as good as they once were or if they are not are Steyn, Nel and M Morkel up to it - but we come back to choking. IMO they were the better team in '94 '98 and 2003, should have won at least two of those series and instead drew two and lost one. Their bets bet night be to keep the series level then win the last Test so they don't have to defend a lead...

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
They should beat Eng and Pakistan but their lack of a decent spinner will hurt them in India

SA has makings of very good pace attack with Ntini, Nel and Morkel backed by Pollock (if he still plays) and Kallis

Batting is iffy but:

a. will play on flat decks in Pak; and

b. is no worse than Engs

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Pakistan is hard to predict but if they maintain their progress in the 20/20 (I know its a different game but they have looked like a team here rather than the rabble they were in the WC) they would start favourites. To beat India away you need either good spinners or great fast bowlers (WI 83/84, SA themselves in 2000). SA have one spinner (Harris) who I would say is average and the fast bowling is nothing like it was in 2000 when AD was still there and Pololok and Kallis were beter than they are now so no chance there and I don't think they will beat England either. It might depend on the bowling - who'll be fit for us, are Pollok and Ntini as good as they once were or if they are not are Steyn, Nel and M Morkel up to it - but we come back to choking. IMO they were the better team in '94 '98 and 2003, should have won at least two of those series and instead drew two and lost one. Their bets bet night be to keep the series level then win the last Test so they don't have to defend a lead...
I'm thinking it should be a case of "it has to happen eventually" regarding the series' in England.

pup11

International Coach
I think South Africa's one-dimensional attack could really hurt them in Pakistan and India, they don't play spin too well (excluding Kallis) either so that is another area where they could struggle in India and Pakistan.
In England they could do well because their bowlers would enjoy seamer friendly conditions, but it also depends on how England's team shapes up in the next few months, if they can get all their fast-bowlers fit (and that seems highly unlikely) then they could give South Africa a good run for their money.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
I think South Africa's one-dimensional attack could really hurt them in Pakistan and India, they don't play spin too well (excluding Kallis) either so that is another area where they could struggle in India and Pakistan.
It's pretty unlikely I think that there'll be much for spinners (or seamers) in Pakistan.

Unattainableguy

State 12th Man
Last series between Ind and Pak, the third test, where Pathan took a hat-trick of the first 3 balls, and India still lost by 341 runs. The pitch in that match probably offered more help to bowlers than any other in the last year or so.

shortpitched713

International Captain
That pitch was clearly tailored to make up for the absolute featherbeds offered for the first two Tests though. Karachi does tend to be more bowler friendly, but I'd say its probably more seam/swing friendly than anything.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Last series between Ind and Pak, the third test, where Pathan took a hat-trick of the first 3 balls, and India still lost by 341 runs. The pitch in that match probably offered more help to bowlers than any other in the last year or so.
Oh, yes, of course. However (as sp said)
That pitch was clearly tailored to make up for the absolute featherbeds offered for the first two Tests though. Karachi does tend to be more bowler friendly, but I'd say its probably more seam/swing friendly than anything.
it was clearly for no reason other than "whoops, how stupid was it to have 2 absurdly nothing wickets earlier?"

In Pakistan, the "standard" is a pitch that offers nothing to either seam or spin. If the curator has been instructed to make a seam- or spin-friendly wicket, that seems possible to do to order. But in my experience such a thing has tended to be pretty rare.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Well, there's a few Greigies here already.

Seriously, nothing wrong with not expecting them to do as well in India as they did, think most sane people would have. All-in-all, they've outperformed expectations on both occasions so far.

Briony

International Debutant
I think they'll struggle in England and oz though. Their batting is weak and if Steyn and Morkel break down (he broke down yesterday for Yorkshire), they could be flogged around by the opposition batsmen.