• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

How do Williamson/Root/Smith compare to Tendulkar/Ponting/Lara?

Who will history remember as the 3 greatest? [Pick 3]

• Total voters

91Jmay

International Coach
He has 3 and 10* at the moment. if he converts this overnight one that is a decent ratio and a few are not out 50s but yeah he does need to go onto to get bigger hundreds to take him onto the next level.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Lords of hyperbolic posting from both sides here.

For me, the 90s bowlers overall were better and I still don't think any of these 3 have shown the levels of batsmanship we saw from SAchin and Lara at the same age. Having said that, this is not like the 2000s when the bowling standards were ridiculously low (bar Steyn in the later half and McWarne/Murali in the first half). I think a combination of the emergence of some really good bowlers (guys like Harris will never be given the credit he deserves because of his late start and relatively short career) as well as how extreme the whole home advantage situation is being taken by almost all teams around the world, means that these 3 batsmen have faced extremely challenging conditions, esp. away from home and will continue to do so. I am gonna agree with whoever said that these 3 will be below BCL/Sachin with perhaps KW being able to nudge above Ponting in a few years.

All that said, I think Kohli is the most Ponting-esque player of this generation and I will be very surprised if he doesn't make this conversation along with the 3 guys mentioned, if not surpass a couple of them in a few years.

EDIT: Autocorrect made "lots" as "lords" in the opening sentence of the post. Gonna leave it there for the giggles.

And here we are.. :)

Kirkut

International Regular
Out of the current lot Smith comes closest to Tendulkar, Lara and Ponting. In fact, peak Smith can be a bigger headache than those three legends, a statistical freak.