• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

How do fifers and tenfers help to judge a bowler?

subshakerz

International Coach
I believe this has been a subject of debate here. Some posters dont mind equating a fifer and tenfer roughly with a ton and double ton as the bowling milestone counterpart. Others seem to reckon they are not really relevant. Obvious issue is that there are only a total ten wickets to be taken, yet on the flip side if the innings stretches there are opportunities to take more expensive fifers as well.

In the threads, I noted the following points come up:

- While there are less benchmarks on fifers for ATGs, most ATGs crossing 300 wickets would be expected to gave at least 20 or so fifers in the kitty and three tenfers

- Ashwins and other bowlers often get flak for a lack of fifers in SENA or foreign conditions, indicating lack of adaptability perhaps

- Lone gun bowlers like Hadlee and Murali may not get too much credit for their high fifer/tenfer ratio as less bowling competition

- Quality spinners have an advantage in racking up large numbers of fifers due to longevity

- On the flipside, bowlers like Garner are rated among the top 10 even frequently despite only a handful of fifers and no tenfer at all

- ATGs like Ambrose and McGrath have only three tenfers in their long careers, which doesnt lower them in anyones estimatation, yet someone like Lillee takes 7 tenfers in just 70 tests but doesnt get any credit for that

So in view of the above, what role do fifers and tenfers have as a stat tool in assessing bowlers, and why should average, strikerate and wicket/match be better metrics?

Coronis

Cricketer Of The Year
- On the flipside, bowlers like Garner are rated among the top 10 even frequently despite only a handful of fifers and no tenfer at all

- ATGs like Ambrose and McGrath have only three tenfers in their long careers, which doesnt lower them in anyones estimatation, yet someone like Lillee takes 7 tenfers in just 70 tests but doesnt get any credit for that
Well tbf to these blokes, they were all part of strong bowling attacks, particularly Garner and McGrath. Garner as well was more used as first change rather than an opening bowler, and with such strong opening bowlers, would make that a bit harder. Also I see Lillee get a lot of credit for the amount of wickets he took, maybe not specifically mentioning his 10 fers but his WPM is constantly mentioned and WPM and 5fers/10fers are generally strongly correlated.

mr_mister

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
it just seems logical to not downgrade Garner for his lack of 10fers. Shared a limited amount of scalps with Marshall and Holding(and they got the new ball)

and with Murali and Hadlee, they still had to take the wickets, but when you're the only bowler worth a damn in your team the wickets will eventually come

I don't give them importance I do to 5fers and 10fers

I'm all about bowling average and strike rate

subshakerz

International Coach
it just seems logical to not downgrade Garner for his lack of 10fers. Shared a limited amount of scalps with Marshall and Holding(and they got the new ball)

and with Murali and Hadlee, they still had to take the wickets, but when you're the only bowler worth a damn in your team the wickets will eventually come

I don't give them importance I do to 5fers and 10fers

I'm all about bowling average and strike rate
Fair enough, but bowling first change didnt stop Garner from taking well over 4 wickets a test, so why couldnt he take more fifers? Isnt the ability to run through sides one measurement of a bowler's worth?

mr_mister

yeah true his WPM is good, but I dunno if any of those guys got to run through sides right? I assumed they all got rotated around a lot mid innings. Like were any given big extended spells? Wouldn't you bring back a fresh Marshall/Holding/Croft/Walsh once one started to get a little tired

I dunno, I guess when you're on a roll the captain should keep bowling you but it was a pretty unique situation where there 3 ATGs and usually one ATVG bowler all in one side nearly all the time, you didn't have to worry about one bowler being a pressure release like say Bret Lee or Kasprowicz was sometimes with McGrath and Dizzy

subshakerz

International Coach
yeah true his WPM is good, but I dunno if any of those guys got to run through sides right? I assumed they all got rotated around a lot mid innings. Like were any given big extended spells? Wouldn't you bring back a fresh Marshall/Holding/Croft/Walsh once one started to get a little tired

I dunno, I guess when you're on a roll the captain should keep bowling you but it was a pretty unique situation where there 3 ATGs and usually one ATVG bowler all in one side nearly all the time, you didn't have to worry about one bowler being a pressure release like say Bret Lee or Kasprowicz was sometimes with McGrath and Dizzy
True. Holding and Marshall still managed quite a few fifers in this period though.

sunilz

International Regular
Cummins also has very few 5 wkt hauls. Maybe it is very difficult as 1st change bowler.

Last edited:
Reactions: Gob

BoyBrumby

Englishman
I'd say it's ironically maybe easier to jam a 5-for than a test century, despite (I'm guessing without looking) there being fewer 5-fors than centuries in the longest format.

Some very part time bowlers (Denis Compton, Allan Border, Mick Clarke and Joe Root, off the top of my head) have taken Michelles in tests (it's generally spinners, which I suppose suggests their achievements were conditions determined) but quite few career tailenders ever get a 100. Yasir Shah being probably the worst batsman I've ever seen who has one to his name.

It's the nature of the game, isn't it? When bowling a chap has to only get lucky in five deliveries, but to get a ton the luck needs to extend over a longer period and most of those glorious tailend mows usually end with stumps splayed or a heave pouched at deep long on.

mr_mister

They've both played 46 tests funnily enough. Yasir's next best is currently 38 while Taylor got another 50 at least, 53

a massive zebra

International Captain
The wonderfully named Xenophon Balaskas (a South African leg spinner with Greek parents) is probably worthy of a name check here.

He scored 174 test runs from 13 innings spread over 9 tests, but 122 of them (unbeaten to boot) were made in one of the 13 against NZ in Wellington.

Career test average 14.50.

https://www.espncricinfo.com/player/xen-balaskas-44040
But this guy averaged almost 30 in first class cricket with six centuries (including a double), so he could clearly bat. 9 Tests is a small sample size and he obviously just underperformed with the bat in 8 of his 9 Tests. Given his first class record, if Balaskas had played another dozen or so Tests, you could put good money on him registering another half century or two and bumping that average up to somewhere around 20.

ataraxia

International Coach
Xen Bally is a cool cricketer and has the absolute best name ever. Xenophon Constantine Balaskas FTW.