• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

How come...

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
twctopcat said:
Well the fact is sampras was as fast as ivanisevic consistently in the late 120/early 130mph bracket and had a great 2nd serve, hence the 7 wimbledon titles.Only rusedski and roddick are in the 140 range, with phillipoussis. When referring to Khan i was talking about pace, hence the comparison with fast tennis servers as vaas bowls at 80, whereas Khan bowls in the high 80's.
You may laugh at hasselbaink but the fact is he does hit it just as hard as carlos in the 80mph region, your referring to carlos purely because of "that" free kick. The fact is that he doesn't get a look in anymore at real coz he can't strike it properly, he should stop aiming at row z!
Finally, ...... a 5 minute 147 sounds pretty nautral if you ask me. That may never be beaten.
Ivanesevic held the fastest serve record for how long? Before Rusedski broke it.
Philipppousis is very similar to Sampras in everything related to power (first serve, second serve, groundstrokes) just nowhere near as accurate on anything.
The free-kick, meanwhile, was famous for the late swing, not the pace. Roberto Carlos has consistently hammered the ball harder than any footballer in the last decade, whether accurately or not, Jerrel Floyd included. Just because Hasselbaink is more accurate and overall a better free-kick taker doesn't mean anything as to power.
The maximum, meanwhile, is a one-off and I'll be amazed if anyone ever beats it. The Maltese man, however, has the record for the fastest century and I'll be equally astonished if anyone beats that. And centuries are a far more realistic comparison than maximums, because they happen so much more often.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
marc71178 said:
They did?

One of maybe, but greatest ever - I wouldn't be so sure!
Nor would I.
It's not been as oft-talked of and agreed upon as Hendry being the greatest player ever to hold a cue, but it's been said by plenty of people.

Isolator

State 12th Man
Fleming looks awkward and gangly any time he's off-balance. He looks awkward even running around in the field. When he's balanced he's quite elegant.

Lara may be elegant, but his yard-long back-and-across jerk of a preparation is cartoonish.

Ponting's forward lunge is the most inelegant thing I can think of... even Chris Harris' lunge isn't as offensive to the eyes.

twctopcat

International Regular
Richard said:
Ivanesevic held the fastest serve record for how long? Before Rusedski broke it.
Philipppousis is very similar to Sampras in everything related to power (first serve, second serve, groundstrokes) just nowhere near as accurate on anything.
The free-kick, meanwhile, was famous for the late swing, not the pace. Roberto Carlos has consistently hammered the ball harder than any footballer in the last decade, whether accurately or not, Jerrel Floyd included. Just because Hasselbaink is more accurate and overall a better free-kick taker doesn't mean anything as to power.
The maximum, meanwhile, is a one-off and I'll be amazed if anyone ever beats it. The Maltese man, however, has the record for the fastest century and I'll be equally astonished if anyone beats that. And centuries are a far more realistic comparison than maximums, because they happen so much more often.
The fact is, though you obviously wont believe it, is that sampras and ivanisevic have the same fastest serve of 135mph, with the scud just ahead on 141mph.
Regarding carlos, don't know what you're obsession is with him. If you're talking last decade then i'd say shearer for consistently hitting it hard and getting results. Even scholes and gerrard hit it as hard as carlos, the fact is there is really no difference.
As for this maltese worm you keep going on about, fair enough he made the quickest century but if your talking about centuries then its got to be stephen hendry as the greatest player ever, he's got the most career centuries and won the most pro titles. However i thought u meant "natural" talent, which makes ronnie better, fact. Not everyone gets a 147 when they're 15.

SquidAU

First Class Debutant
how did we get from cricket to soccer to tennis? I thought this was Cricket Web, not Sports Web, or has there been a name change recently that I don't know about.......:O

twctopcat

International Regular
SquidAU said:
how did we get from cricket to soccer to tennis? I thought this was Cricket Web, not Sports Web, or has there been a name change recently that I don't know about.......:O
I know, i know, i'm sorry, call it a personal vendetta or something. Just don't like rubbish being branded about, cricket or otherwise.:D

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
twctopcat said:
The fact is, though you obviously wont believe it, is that sampras and ivanisevic have the same fastest serve of 135mph, with the scud just ahead on 141mph.
Regarding carlos, don't know what you're obsession is with him. If you're talking last decade then i'd say shearer for consistently hitting it hard and getting results. Even scholes and gerrard hit it as hard as carlos, the fact is there is really no difference.
As for this maltese worm you keep going on about, fair enough he made the quickest century but if your talking about centuries then its got to be stephen hendry as the greatest player ever, he's got the most career centuries and won the most pro titles. However i thought u meant "natural" talent, which makes ronnie better, fact. Not everyone gets a 147 when they're 15.
Of course Stephen Hendry is the greatest player ever, very few people dispute that. But if you're talking "natural" talent, as ever, what does it mean anyway? The ability to hit the ball exactly as you aim without practice would seem logical to me. But some people use it to mean speed round the table, and time between potting. If so, Tony Drago wins hands down, "worm" or not (personally I think that's about as insulting as the "brown nosed gnome"). Mark Williams, Jimmy White and O'Sullivan get a mention, obviously. And IMO I've never seen someone like Mark Williams when he gets on top. Even Hendry in his prime would have struggled if you ask me. But of course, Williams has to make himself a spell like Hendry did - and losing to Paul Hunter like he did is not the way to go.
Have you ever seen any evidence that Scholes, Steven Gerrard etc. strike the ball like RC? If so, what?
BTW, let's see the site which shows the fastest (recorded, of course) serves?

twctopcat

International Regular
Richard said:
Of course Stephen Hendry is the greatest player ever, very few people dispute that. But if you're talking "natural" talent, as ever, what does it mean anyway? The ability to hit the ball exactly as you aim without practice would seem logical to me. But some people use it to mean speed round the table, and time between potting. If so, Tony Drago wins hands down, "worm" or not (personally I think that's about as insulting as the "brown nosed gnome"). Mark Williams, Jimmy White and O'Sullivan get a mention, obviously. And IMO I've never seen someone like Mark Williams when he gets on top. Even Hendry in his prime would have struggled if you ask me. But of course, Williams has to make himself a spell like Hendry did - and losing to Paul Hunter like he did is not the way to go.
Have you ever seen any evidence that Scholes, Steven Gerrard etc. strike the ball like RC? If so, what?
BTW, let's see the site which shows the fastest (recorded, of course) serves?
You obviously haven't seen much football if you need convincing of the shooting capabilities of scholes and gerrard, either that or you're being a bit of an ****. Anyone on this forum who watches football will only confirm my beliefs as to these players.
As for o'sullivan i'm baseing it as much on what i've seen as well as the opinion of every ex pro who commentates on the sport, but then again what do they know? "Natural" in snooker refers to picking up a cue and cueing, no practice needed, i thought that was rather self explanatory. Basically as soon as ronnie popped out he was good, u dont realise how much some players graft.
As for the tennis: its on the bbc sport site. Go to the academy and search for fastest serves. Thank you.

Last edited:

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
I have never said Scholesy and that hacking idiot Gerrard don't possess very powerful strikes. Nor Hasselbaink, nor the great Alan Shearer, nor indeed Marty Poom.
I have simply said that Roberto Carlos can hit it harder than the lot. And yes, I have seen plenty of every single one of them.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
twctopcat said:
Like you said about bowling, speed is always deceptive, and fans are almost always deceived.:D
Yeah, like I said - but not quite the same.
Because a football is rather bigger than a cricket-ball - about 10 times in fact.
This means that rough calculations can be made by using frame-calculation similar to the farcial ones attempted by C9 in calculating Larwood's relative speed. Only here they actually have a modicum of accuracy.

twctopcat

International Regular
Richard said:
Yeah, like I said - but not quite the same.
Because a football is rather bigger than a cricket-ball - about 10 times in fact.
This means that rough calculations can be made by using frame-calculation similar to the farcial ones attempted by C9 in calculating Larwood's relative speed. Only here they actually have a modicum of accuracy.
Bloody hell, someone needs to get out more, and that's a fact.:O
Both can be accurately recorded, fact?

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Bloody hell, I'll get out when I fell like gettting out. :rolleyes:
No, not fact - for one, the film is a hell of a lot worse, for another, the ball's a hell of a lot smaller, for another, the cameras were a hell of a lot further away.
Enough for you?

twctopcat

International Regular
Richard said:
Bloody hell, I'll get out when I fell like gettting out. :rolleyes:
No, not fact - for one, the film is a hell of a lot worse, for another, the ball's a hell of a lot smaller, for another, the cameras were a hell of a lot further away.
Enough for you?
What??? Are you trying to say that cricket balls are deceptive as to their speed due to the cameras? Little thing called technology fixes this, a zoom i mean. I was also referring to watching the games live as well.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
I know you were - and I was referring to the fact that I've negated that problem.
I've never seen RC live anyway - only times I've ever watched a top-level soccer match are the 5 or 6 times I've been to Old Trafford and the couple of games at St.James' Park (Newcastle). None involved Real.

twctopcat

International Regular
Richard said:
I know you were - and I was referring to the fact that I've negated that problem.
I've never seen RC live anyway - only times I've ever watched a top-level soccer match are the 5 or 6 times I've been to Old Trafford and the couple of games at St.James' Park (Newcastle). None involved Real.
Therefore you're making a pretty random assumption that RC hits it the hardest if you've never seen it live. Just seems to be an idea fixed in your head that you wouldn't want to give up. You think that though if you want, doesn't bother me.

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
Richard said:
There is top football on your doorstep.

Go watch it!

Saturday, 3.00pm, Burton Albion.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
twctopcat said:
Therefore you're making a pretty random assumption that RC hits it the hardest if you've never seen it live. Just seems to be an idea fixed in your head that you wouldn't want to give up. You think that though if you want, doesn't bother me.
Good, good - then you'll not worry about the real reason I think what I do.
Watching live won't help in the slightest in terms of getting an impression of how hard the ball's hit. The only way to do that in relative terms is with scientific calculations. As I've never seen a speedster with a football, the only way is a frame-calculation using film.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Neil Pickup said:
There is top football on your doorstep.

Go watch it!

Saturday, 3.00pm, Burton Albion.
I have some mates who go to watch City every Saturday.
'Tisn't cheap, and I don't think I quite have the passion for football to want to watch non-League games.
If it was First-Class cricket, I'd be there every day I could, but my enthusiasm for football has waned slightly over the last 3 years.