• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

How come cricket is not spreading to other countries?

jashan83

U19 Captain
Another question I want to raise....should we have a 24 Nation World Cup with 6 pool of 4 teams each. After that we can have second round of say 8 Nations...then Semi's and Final. The point is that we should have more participation. It has definitely some impact. Suppose you come to know that say I come to know India was playing in volley ball world then I would definitely develop some following and some knowledge. In football I counted there are roughly at a time 12 13 powerhouses. Still they have 32 nation world cup and due to participation of so many nations it provokes so much interest. What Say all?

Somerset

Cricketer Of The Year
Another question I want to raise....should we have a 24 Nation World Cup with 6 pool of 4 teams each. After that we can have second round of say 8 Nations...then Semi's and Final. The point is that we should have more participation. It has definitely some impact. Suppose you come to know that say I come to know India was playing in volley ball world then I would definitely develop some following and some knowledge. In football I counted there are roughly at a time 12 13 powerhouses. Still they have 32 nation world cup and due to participation of so many nations it provokes so much interest. What Say all?
Quite frankly, no. As illustrated during the Super 8 in the 2007 World Cup, whilst Ireland and Bangladesh deserved their spots, it certainly dilluted the tournament of top nations facing top nations in crucial games. Raising the tournament to 24 teams (!!!) is such an extreme - I get the feeling you're serious about your idea but I doubt you'd have many (if any) supporters. You'd get ridiculous scores with the test playing nations belting sides that, in all honesty, you'd have to call worse than minnows relative to the strength of the top nations.

Stapel

International Regular
As a Dutch cricketer, I might have some ideas on this.

In the Netherlands, the only nation never to have been part of the British empire to be present on World Cups occasionally, cricket is a minor sport. About 5000 people play cricket, including women and foreigners (50%). Seriously, most people here have no idea about the great Dutch victory at Lord's, last year.

The common assumption about cricket is that it is an extremely posh hobby for tea-drinking aristocrate homosexuals. The posh thing is probably a bit right, when judging Dutch cricket. However, most people seem to think that cricket is extremely posh in England too. I've shown pictures of Andrew Flintoff, including tattoos, to some of my friends and they won't believe he was (or still is???) the most popular cricketer in England.

The good thing is that Dutch cricket is pretty well organised for such a minor sport. Therefor, it could be easier to grow. The trigger needed for that could be an Olympic status.

Another good thing here: Many cricket clubs are also foorball clubs. Obviously, these are the posh football clubs. These clubs used to be quite small, but the last decade, more and more parents prefer these posh clubs over regular clubs. For the simple reason that regular clubs tend to change for the worse.....

jashan83

U19 Captain
As a Dutch cricketer, I might have some ideas on this.

In the Netherlands, the only nation never to have been part of the British empire to be present on World Cups occasionally, cricket is a minor sport. About 5000 people play cricket, including women and foreigners (50%). Seriously, most people here have no idea about the great Dutch victory at Lord's, last year.

The common assumption about cricket is that it is an extremely posh hobby for tea-drinking aristocrate homosexuals. The posh thing is probably a bit right, when judging Dutch cricket. However, most people seem to think that cricket is extremely posh in England too. I've shown pictures of Andrew Flintoff, including tattoos, to some of my friends and they won't believe he was (or still is???) the most popular cricketer in England.

The good thing is that Dutch cricket is pretty well organised for such a minor sport. Therefor, it could be easier to grow. The trigger needed for that could be an Olympic status.

Another good thing here: Many cricket clubs are also foorball clubs. Obviously, these are the posh football clubs. These clubs used to be quite small, but the last decade, more and more parents prefer these posh clubs over regular clubs. For the simple reason that regular clubs tend to change for the worse.....
Your insights are really interesting. Can you elaborate on the ideas

quytst0rm

School Boy/Girl Captain
But as it is spreading I would like to mention 2 things
1. We all expect miracles, like cricket would suddenly be competing with other sports in USA. We have to be patient on that aspect. Here I would like to take an example of Football (Soccer to make myself clear) in US. Football was gradually established in US. Then slowly due to infrastructure there 94 Football WC happened (A Risk taken by FIFA) and then in 2 3 years US had it's own professional league.
US actually had North American Soccer League from the 60's to 80's which featured many high profile soccer players like Pele, Beckenbauer, Cruyff, Geroge Best etc but over expansion caused its demise. The point i am trying to make is soccer had a history in the US, however small, before the 94 WC like the NASL and US beating England in their first meeting in the 1950 WC.

Except for countries like Afghanistan, Nepal (any previous British colonies) with no dominant sport, cricket will not expand and due to the nature of the game countries outside the Commonwealth will not accept the game. Even then previous British countries with high populations like Nigeria, Egypt, Tanzania have not embraced the game like the other test playing nations. The blame should fall on Imperial Cricket Conference who were against the idea of spreading the game and instead wanted to keep it within the British colonies. ICC is very lucky India withdrew after qualifying for the 1950 WC because they played barefoot or cricket would be a dying sport if India played soccer instead of cricket.

jashan83

U19 Captain
One thing very unique to cricket is the concept of team of West Indies. Although not doing very now the team was a powerhouse at one time. West Indies is a combination of many small nations (15 to be precise including the dependencies). ICC can also try to promote a similar experiment in other parts (East Africa was another such team). These areas can be combination of very small nations who alone will not be able to field strong teams. For Eg one team can be (Many of these nations already have teams.)
1. Oceania:-
a. Solomon Islands
Solomon Islands
b, Vanuatu
Vanuatu
c. Micronesia
Federated States of Micronesia
Kiribati
Marshall Islands
Nauru
Northern Mariana Islands (USA)
Palau
d. Polynesia
Cook Islands (NZ)
Niue (NZ)
Pitcairn Islands (UK)
Samoa
Tokelau (NZ)
Tonga
Tuvalu
e. French Oceania
New Caledonia (France)
French Polynesia (France)
Wallis and Futuna (France)
f. Guam & American Samoa
Guam (USA)
American Samoa (USA)

As said many of these nations already have teams. They also co-ordinate a lot amongst themselves in initiatives like Pacific Games in which cricket is also played. Just tried to make the team keeping in mind the geographical and political boundaries 8-). Also Australia & NZ has a strong influence on all these nations. This can be used to influence a positive interest.

Another possible team can be of
2. Indian Ocean
a. Comoros
b. Maldivies
c. Mauritius
d. Mayotte
e. Reunion
f. Seychelles

Maldivies, Mauritius & Seychelles had previously a triangular tournament and were british colonies. Again Maldivies rather than having a team from 3 lakh people can actually combine with the strength.

Such Island group have also a advantage of regional rivalry.

I know still a fantasy at this stage but just a thought that came into my mind. :laugh:. I guess I always believe in idea's flowing and putting them forward. I am not too negative like some people I encountered on this thread who believe in shooting down all ideas saying that whatever is happening is the best possible thing :P. Just have an open mind guys

Last edited:

jashan83

U19 Captain
Take a look at this map, and then take a look at the scale at the bottom left of the map.
These nations also manage a whole Games known as south pacific games

South Pacific Games Locations

* 1963 - Suva, Fiji
* 1966 - Nouméa, New Caledonia
* 1969 - Port Moresby, Papua New Guinea
* 1971 - Papeete, Tahiti
* 1975 - Guam
* 1979 - Suva, Fiji
* 1983 - Apia, Western Samoa
* 1987 - Nouméa, New Caledonia
* 1991 - Port Moresby/Lae, Papua New Guinea
* 1995 - Papeete, Tahiti
* 1999 - Guam
* 2003 - Suva, Fiji
* 2007 - Apia, Samoa
* 2011 - Nouméa, New Caledonia
* 2015 - Port Moresby, Papua New Guinea[13]

In that they manage so many sports at one events

* Archery
* Athletics
* Badminton
* Baseball
* Basketball
* Beach Volleyball
* Bodybuilding
* Boxing
* Canoe/Kayak
* Cricket
* Football
* Golf
* Hockey
* Judo
* Lawn Bowls
* Netball
* Outrigger Canoeing
* Powerlifting
* Rugby Sevens
* Rugby League
* Sailing
* Shooting
* Softball
* Squash
* Surfing
* Swimming
* Table Tennis
* Taekwando
* Tennis
* Touch Rugby
* Triathlon
* Volleyball
* Weightlifting
* Wrestling

Yes your point is right. The spread is very wide. But as already said these countries co-ordinate a lot in field of sports. Many of them allow the use of Aussie or Kiwi Dollar and actively co-ordinate with them. Also the regional tournaments in the windies are also held one a year or once in 2 years. The Class A teams can be made based on geographical distances and hence the local spread will reduce.

DingDong

State Captain
One thing very unique to cricket is the concept of team of West Indies. Although not doing very now the team was a powerhouse at one time. West Indies is a combination of many small nations (15 to be precise including the dependencies). ICC can also try to promote a similar experiment in other parts (East Africa was another such team). These areas can be combination of very small nations who alone will not be able to field strong teams. For Eg one team can be (Many of these nations already have teams.)
a. Solomon Islands
Solomon Islands
b, Vanuatu
Vanuatu
c. Micronesia
Kiribati
Marshall Islands
Nauru
Palau
d. Polynesia
Cook Islands (NZ)
Niue (NZ)
Pitcairn Islands (UK)
Samoa
Tokelau (NZ)
Tonga
Tuvalu
e. French Oceania
New Caledonia (France)
f. Guam & American Samoa
Guam (USA)
American Samoa (USA)

As said many of these nations already have teams. They also co-ordinate a lot amongst themselves in initiatives like Pacific Games in which cricket is also played. Just tried to make the team keeping in mind the geographical and political boundaries 8-). Also Australia & NZ has a strong influence on all these nations. This can be used to influence a positive interest.

2. Indian Ocean
a. Comoros
b. Maldivies
c. Mauritius
d. Mayotte
e. Reunion
f. Seychelles

Maldivies, Mauritius & Seychelles had previously a triangular tournament and were british colonies. Again Maldivies rather than having a team from 3 lakh people can actually combine with the strength.

I know still a fantasy at this stage but just a thought that came into my mind. :laugh:. I guess I always believe in idea's flowing and putting them forward. I am not too negative like some people I encountered on this thread who believe in shooting down all ideas saying that whatever is happening is the best possible thing :P. Just have an open mind guys

pro-35 and spin play were brilliant ideas but this is taking it too far

asham87

Cricket Spectator
a. Solomon Islands
Solomon Islands
b, Vanuatu
Vanuatu
c. Micronesia
Kiribati
Marshall Islands
Nauru
Palau
d. Polynesia
Cook Islands (NZ)
Niue (NZ)
Pitcairn Islands (UK)
Samoa
Tokelau (NZ)
Tonga
Tuvalu
e. French Oceania
New Caledonia (France)
f. Guam & American Samoa
Guam (USA)
American Samoa (USA)

2. Indian Ocean
a. Comoros
b. Maldivies
c. Mauritius
d. Mayotte
e. Reunion
f. Seychelles

Wow a great Idea mate. Great thinking. Quite different from conventional and stagnant thinking of people. Great point made is that these countries already have a lot of regional co operation. My dad was about to be posted to Fiji as part of UN climate mission. Then I was made to read a lot about the Oceania (I had to take admission in a school there ). If ICC can pick this idea another West Indies can be born and another powerhouse of cricket.

Besides this we can also maybe over time we can have an associate IX with a test status, a professional team funded by ICC who chooses the players.

Any other suggesions by anyone.

jashan83

U19 Captain
a. Solomon Islands
Solomon Islands
b, Vanuatu
Vanuatu
c. Micronesia
Kiribati
Marshall Islands
Nauru
Palau
d. Polynesia
Cook Islands (NZ)
Niue (NZ)
Pitcairn Islands (UK)
Samoa
Tokelau (NZ)
Tonga
Tuvalu
e. French Oceania
New Caledonia (France)
f. Guam & American Samoa
Guam (USA)
American Samoa (USA)

2. Indian Ocean
a. Comoros
b. Maldivies
c. Mauritius
d. Mayotte
e. Reunion
f. Seychelles

While reading I read an very interesting article on a Game known as Kilikiti. It is the national game of Samoa and very popular with Populations of Polynesian origin which includes many more countries in Pacific and even NZ. It is a game almost similar to Cricket with overarm bowling, Batting, Sixes, Fours, 1's 2's, though with some differences also. Well ICC should definitely try to explore this opportunity. If the islands are too small, as already proposed by me, some combined island teams can be explored