• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

How Are You Doing On CM?

Furball

Evil Scotsman
Also somewhat amusingly, I'm now getting pushed notifications from Google with score updates in real life whenever Liepzig are playing. Reckon it's to do with searching their players and reading up on the club as I got into my save.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
I hate the January window. Got Chinese clubs throwing money at me unsettling half my team.

Worst part of it is, you reject bids and the players are unhappy. Then when you accept bids and the player moves on, when you offer kind words they moan about it being a step down.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
Played a season of CM01/02 this afternoon. Brought back memories.

In some ways the simplicity of it is quite refreshing. Not having to bugger about with endless settings and menus is in some ways great.

The problem is, I find, that when you start to lose the lack of menus and options etc. makes you feel completely on rails and unable to do anything about it.

Double-edged sword I suppose.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
Played a season of CM01/02 this afternoon. Brought back memories.

In some ways the simplicity of it is quite refreshing. Not having to bugger about with endless settings and menus is in some ways great.

The problem is, I find, that when you start to lose the lack of menus and options etc. makes you feel completely on rails and unable to do anything about it.

Double-edged sword I suppose.
I'm always in two minds about it. It's such a huge part of my childhood and I've got such a love for the game that I don't want to go back to play it and discover that actually it's not as good as I remember.

I remember back in FM12 or 13 when they launched FM Classic (which I think is now FM Touch) - basically it was advertised as a sttipped out version of FM for those of us from the CM generation who didn't have the time to dive into FM any more. I thought it sounded ideal but then got annoyed that I was missing a lot of features I'd started to take for granted.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
It's still good. But it feels very threadbare. Most of the new features I realised I could easily do without, but when you are losing the only tactical changes you can make are basically change formation and change from "normal" to "attack" mentality or whatever. Feels like you're a bit on rails and that your input doesn't change a whole lot.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
Looks like I should be making Leipzig champions of Germany for the first time. 14 points clear with 7 games left.

Potential for a double, as I will hopefully obliterate Celtic in the Europa League quarters (whoever the **** is their researcher is biased as ****, some of their players are ludicrously over-reaction).

Will be interesting to see how the Champions League affectsy league form next season though. Fair to say that the quality of opposition in the Europa isn't exactly stellar so I've been playing my fringe players plenty (extremely useful during the group stages.) Probably won't be able to do the same in the Champions League next season.

Only downside was losing on penalties in the cup to Darmstadt. On the plus side that gives me something to try and win next season, it takes the fun out of it a bit to win everything in your first season when I want to make it a long term save.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
What's a good place to start for a beginner in FM? Like in terms of choosing a team etc.
Teams like Arsenal are usually a good place to start. Decent squad with room for improvement. Lots of money. Expectations fairly high without being huge, and without the pressure of the supposedly bigger sides.

Atletico Madrid and Roma similar equivalents in other leagues.

MrPrez

International Debutant
What's a good place to start for a beginner in FM? Like in terms of choosing a team etc.
Generally a good idea is picking a team you know as it'll help you to formulate tactics.

Also, like Sledger says, bigger clubs are good starting points. Other similar clubs worth considering are Spurs, Napoli, and Leverkusen.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
Teams like Arsenal are usually a good place to start. Decent squad with room for improvement. Lots of money. Expectations fairly high without being huge, and without the pressure of the supposedly bigger sides.

Atletico Madrid and Roma similar equivalents in other leagues.
Leipzig definitely fit this as well in Germany. I would say Leverkusen do as well (a lot of the best young German players start the game at Leverkusen), they've just sacked their manager in my game even though they're 7th so maybe there's a bit more in the way of expectations.

I quite like Germany as well because the season isn't overly long. The absolute maximum number of domestic games you can play in a season is 43, and this requires a very specific set of circumstances. 40 or 41 games is the normal maximum, whereas England is 50-53.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
I think I will do a game in Germany in my next playthrough. Have never really done it before.

Dutch league is quite fun in my experience, but probably not where I would recommend a noob to start.

MrPrez

International Debutant
I've had great fun playing in Norway in the past. Nice challenge making something of yourself in Europe.

I used Molde but unfortunately Erling Haland leaves in January in 19.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
I think I will do a game in Germany in my next playthrough. Have never really done it before.

Dutch league is quite fun in my experience, but probably not where I would recommend a noob to start.
If you like bringing through regens then it can be a bit of a pain as German regens are (I think uniquely) 14 or 15 when they come out of your academy and you can't play under 17s in the league.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
I've had great fun playing in Norway in the past. Nice challenge making something of yourself in Europe.

I used Molde but unfortunately Erling Haland leaves in January in 19.
I had a good save in Sweden back in FM06 or 07 as Helsingborg Sodra (who I'm not even sure exist anymore) who I got from the second division in Sweden to winning the league and reaching the last 16 of the UEFA Cup.

Pretty sure the Swedish seasons are quite short as well (I'm pretty sure one of the levels was a 14 team division with everyone playing each other twice, so 26 games).

Magrat Garlick

Global Moderator
I had a good save in Sweden back in FM06 or 07 as Helsingborg Sodra (who I'm not even sure exist anymore) who I got from the second division in Sweden to winning the league and reaching the last 16 of the UEFA Cup.

Pretty sure the Swedish seasons are quite short as well (I'm pretty sure one of the levels was a 14 team division with everyone playing each other twice, so 26 games).
Wikipedia says it merged with Ramlösa (yes, same place as the carbonated water) in 2007 and became Ramlösa Södra, which is now Helsingborg's reserve team.

(Not having a reserve league creates odd incentives.)

MrPrez

International Debutant
If you like bringing through regens then it can be a bit of a pain as German regens are (I think uniquely) 14 or 15 when they come out of your academy and you can't play under 17s in the league.
If you like bringing through regens just play in France; they always produce some sensational youngsters.

Clubs like Nantes, Toulouse, and Lens all seem to top the list (Outside of your PSG/Monaco/Lyon/Marseille quartet, of course)

Might actually start a Nantes save.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
French, German, and Brazilian regens generally tend to be very OP in my experience.

Not so much on recent versions, but a few years back it became ridiculous.