• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

How Are You Doing On CM?

Agent TBY

International Captain
In my day CM tactics comprosed deciding between defensive, balanced, attacking or gung ho. And whether to have your players tackle hard or not.

#AMFM
Yeah, right. Remember having to place players depending on which of the twelve areas of the pitch the ball was at any given moment? Oh, different placements for with and without ball, too.

FM tactics are a lot simpler.

cpr

International Coach
Seriously?

I've never even used the 3D match pitch. FM's a text based game for me, and its how it'll stay....

Dan

Hall of Fame Member
You're not keeping possession because FM formations aren't as fluid as real life. Looking at your screenshot above, I'd say you're giving your opponents far too much space to just pass it around in midfield. Do Blind and Fellaini get knackered often? That's a sure sign of them spending too much time chasing the ball around.

Try putting Blind at DM, Mata where Blind is now, and increase the mentality and forward runs sliders in his player instructions.
Will try this, but there are sliders?

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Yeah, right. Remember having to place players depending on which of the twelve areas of the pitch the ball was at any given moment? Oh, different placements for with and without ball, too.

FM tactics are a lot simpler.
Which version are you talking? I was obviously being facetious but I don't remember that at all

Agent TBY

International Captain
Seriously?

I've never even used the 3D match pitch. FM's a text based game for me, and its how it'll stay....
This was back during its "no graphical engine at all phase", though.

Will try this, but there are sliders?
Huh. I looked it up and apparently they're gone now.

My bad.

Which version are you talking? I was obviously being facetious but I don't remember that at all
I know, I just like reminding people of how cumbersome CM tactics used to be. (I spent way too many hours tweaking mine)

It was like that for most of CM3. Don't remember if it was in 2 as well, but it probably wasn't.

cpr

International Coach
Sorry TBY, I was replying to Eds and hadn't refreshed my screen. My incredulation at design your own manager is because I remember the glory days of the game like yourself. Personally I still hark back to the simplicity of playing CM94 (or CM Italia) on the old 486..... Pretty sure if I replaced the power unit on my old desktop (about 5 years since I last used it) I'd find dosbox and a copy of each....

Designing the tactics that way was great though, used to get some crazy arrows around the pitch though!

Dan

Hall of Fame Member
Tried TBY's adjustment, 1-0 win vs. Chelsea despite injuries to Di Maria and RvP mid-game. Then lost my streak with a 1-0 loss to ****ing Newcastle.

Magrat Garlick

Global Moderator
This was back during its "no graphical engine at all phase", though.

Huh. I looked it up and apparently they're gone now.

My bad.

I know, I just like reminding people of how cumbersome CM tactics used to be. (I spent way too many hours tweaking mine)

It was like that for most of CM3. Don't remember if it was in 2 as well, but it probably wasn't.
CM2 you could just set running patterns I think. Was quite easy to hack, 8-1-1 with wing backs worked well some times.

Good times, won Champions League with Odd.

cpr

International Coach
CM94 was the best for hack formations, 2-1-3-1-3 guaranteed a win, usually about 7-0. Made Crewe Premiership champions and Darren Eadie a world beater with that.

Cabinet96

Global Moderator
Screen Shot 2015-08-19 at 22.46.28.png

****ing done with this game. Take a 2-1 win in the CL quarters at Old Trafford, and score early in the return leg at the Emirates. Nonetheless, they score three goals and a penalty I get late gives me hope of avoiding the dreaded away goals defeat, but a couple of squandered big chances mean it's not happening. Given I'm currently fifth with a few points to catch up and not many games, it could be the last CL game for a while. United have RVP, Rooney, Mata and Sneijder (and Falcao last year) and they're the best five players in the world rather than the washed up has-beens they are now.

Managed to get Özil to sign a contract to 2021 in March though, so it'll be interesting to see what happens in the summer with no CL football.

Dan

Hall of Fame Member
I need a gun CM/DM and I have about 9mil to play with. Who can I get?

EDIT:

Currently playing away vs. Tottenham with the following formation:

Last edited:

cpr

International Coach
Lucas Romero was the one I turned to, but I played him as BWM or BBM in centre mid rather than DM.

In fact I dare say I've never used a DM unless its a really negative tactic (protecting an away lead down to 10 men, that sort of thing). If I'm not playing 2 up front I'm using an AM instead. My teams have a 'score 1 (to 7) more than you mentality). Was once 9-0 on 60 mins in a CL game against Feyenoord, finished 9-4. Gave the keeper a rollocking for that one.

King Pietersen

International Captain
I tend to use a DM as a Regista, and then have a BWM in CM. So in Dan's tactic I'd stick Bradley as a BWM (or buy someone like Gil Romero to play that role) and then buy a quality regista. Youri Tielemans does a great job at Regista for my Stoke side. Or as a temporary measure Blind would work very well..

Dan

Hall of Fame Member
I tend to use a DM as a Regista, and then have a BWM in CM. So in Dan's tactic I'd stick Bradley as a BWM (or buy someone like Gil Romero to play that role) and then buy a quality regista. Youri Tielemans does a great job at Regista for my Stoke side. Or as a temporary measure Blind would work very well..

Yeah, Blind as a Regista with Bradley the BWM in CM is the plan. Only issue being Blind is injured presently, so Fellaini gets the starting gig as a BWM, shifting Bradley to BBM.

Last edited:

cpr

International Coach
I dumped Fellaini after one season. Got £17m for a guy who is suspended one in 3 games. Think he got sent off 4 times in that season!

King Pietersen

International Captain
Started as Arsenal. Done what Wenger should have done and signed Sven Bender and Gonzalo Higuain, with Rosicky, Monreal and Flamini making way for £775k, £8m and £5.25m respectively. Also have Balanta coming in at the end of the season for £7m. Positive start too, unbeaten in 5 league games including a win over City. Walcott (Has 4 goals in 3 games in the league), Cazorla and Higuain have all been excellent, and if key players stay fit we should put up a good challenge. Chelsea looking annoyingly strong though, with 5 straight wins in the league and scoring heaps of goals.

I'm lining up like:

Then have instructions set to: Control, Fluid with a focus on possession, running at the defence, shooting on sight, closing down and exploiting the flanks. Seems to be working nicely.

Not sure what to do with Ozil. Where's his best position? Any good as a roaming playmaker?