• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Hogg not coming to Warwickshire

Kimbo

International Debutant
Vettori has been approached which makes sense. He will have made a decision by the end of the week.

I guess I will have to support warwickshire when I am over in England.

Last edited:

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
Well if its true, thats great news for NZ because I'd like to see Vettori develop himself some more in county cricket.

I think it will develop his bowling, batting & maybe even leadership skills.

age_master

Hall of Fame Member
vettori aint that great, i would go for cam white instead, he turns the ball a afir but and he can bat well 0 and he has leadership experience with aussie under 19's

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Hmm, proven International class bowler with experience who can pass it on to the younger players in the squad, and also bowls the same style as our current spinner or man who's career averages are 18.9 and 31.84 (the wrong way round) and who has taken 5 Limited Overs wickets in his life?

I think Vettori is a far better choice.

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
Vettori will be quite handy with the bat for Warwickshire aswell, I know Vettori is not that great at international level but he's got decent ODI & Test averages, and he opens the batting for Northern Districts so I think he has a chance of making some runs whereever Warwick's place him in the order.

age_master

Hall of Fame Member
lol, hes stillbetter but he was the only other spinner i could think of at the time, but i get a better one now - saqulain :) (he might be playing for someone else though)

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
He's playing for Surrey (*spit*)

To be honest, I can't think of too many better options (considering he is a handy lower order batsman and won't cost the earth)

age_master

Hall of Fame Member
hmm a few other options - not sure if they are taken or not

katich - out bowled macgill on a fair few occasions this year - steve rixon rates him the 2nd best spinner in the state
clarke
bevan
jayasuria
de sliva
tendulkar
dan marsh

Andre

International Regular
age_master said:
hmm a few other options - not sure if they are taken or not

katich - out bowled macgill on a fair few occasions this year - steve rixon rates him the 2nd best spinner in the state
clarke
bevan
jayasuria
de sliva
tendulkar
dan marsh
I assume you are talking about potential spin replacements?

Katich is playing for Hampshire this winter. Michael Clarke can't bowl well enough, so he's not an option.

To get Tendulkar to play county cricket would cost an arm and a leg, Bevan doesnt bowl anymore.

Aravinda de Silva has retired and Sanath Jayasuria and Dan Marsh are in the same basket as Clarke.

If I were Wawarkshire looking for a spin replacement, here are some I would consider:
Nathan Hauritz
Cameron White (Young, but a solid all-rounder)
Danish Kaneria
Brian Murphy
Mahedra Nagamootoo (Good lower order bat)
Collins Obuya :D

All abit out there, but probably worth a phone call considering they missed out on their first choice Kumble.

Naturally, Vettori is the man though - clearly the best of the potential candidates.

Last edited:

age_master

Hall of Fame Member
lol, dont mention cameron white to these guys, you will get your head bitten off like i did (read previous)

dan marsh and clarke bowl pretty well, especially in OD games, and with clarke yor getting a top class batsman.

bevo doesn't bowl cause he had an injury but has been loking to bowl more, this has not happened with the arrival of katich and his place in the WC squad

i agree with the rest though - esp collinss obuya

Andre

International Regular
Personally I don't rate White highly - just more to suggest someone who could bat well :).

Marsh and Clarke are no better bowler than Lehmann really, and would you sign Lehmann on his bowling ability - I doubt it.

Rik

Cricketer Of The Year
age_master said:
vettori aint that great, i would go for cam white instead, he turns the ball a afir but and he can bat well 0 and he has leadership experience with aussie under 19's
Oh give us a break will you? Why would Warwickshire pick what seems like an average leggie when they could get someone similer who doesn't take up an overseas place by just waltzing over to Lancashire and picking up Chris Schofield? :lol:

age_master

Hall of Fame Member
a few others,

Afridi
Symonds - bowls outswingers as well :)

ohh and with a batsman like lehmann, as well as an ok bowler you also get a batsman that averages 65+ with the bat, which i would say makes up for any downfall with the ball - and in OD he bowls pretty economically and averages about 50 i beleive.