• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Historical footage: Impressions of some greats

watson

Banned
Some nice footage of Larwood bowling during the 2nd Bodyline Test at the MCG, especially the deliveries that cartwheel O'Reilly's, then Ironmonger's stumps. And because he had problems with his boots he probably wasn't even bowling at full pace!

watson

Banned
Tom Goddard bowls a couple of deliveries to Walter Hammond who then gives a very rare interview to the camera.

Starfighter

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Great video the bodyline one. Never thought I'd see the film of Bowes getting Bradman. Larwood looks decidedly quick.

Jord

U19 Vice-Captain
Has anyone ever done analysis in terms of timing frame by frame how fast each bowler is from release to batsman/stump?

Starfighter

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
No systematic study I'm aware of. Would be difficult with the frame rate (probably recorded at 18fps and played back at 24, and possibly varied), the angles aren't optimal and there's no easy measuring points. In any case radar speeds are at the instant of release, so comparison would be hard.
There was an ABC documentary a couple of years back where they measured the speed of one bouncer by Larwood in Adelaide by using the cathedral (known dimensions) as a comparative landmark. They came up with 137 to 147 km/h, the same as you would see today, and that probably included part of the flight of the ball. Had the speed at only the instant of delivery been calculated (not possible without radar or similar technology) it may have been even higher. It's interesting to notice that witnesses such as umpires or players who saw Larwood close up always estimated his speed as being around 90 to 100 mph.

I'd say Larwood is around 140-150 or so, Voce is about the same as Sobers (probably around 128-134) and Allen is around 136-142. No idea what Bowes would be, his action is very easy, like a club bowler, but he seems quite quick through the air.

NotMcKenzie

International Debutant
Good thing with those Movietone films from the Bodyline series is that we not only actually get to see what's going on (unlike the tradition in newsreels, it seems, of only showing before and after a dismissal), we get what appears to be actual sound rather than canned crowd.

NotMcKenzie

International Debutant
And this shows highlights of Simpson and Lawry's 201-run partnership in the 4th test of the 1964 Ashes, and has Fred Rumsey and John Price bowling:

watson

Banned
This half-hour documentary narrated by Jack Egan is compiled from the National Film and Sound Archive in Canberra. It features the best available footage from the years 1905 to 1930.

My favourite bit is when Bill Ponsford half-backs away from a shortish one by Larwood. The camera angle is a little different in that it's low down and pointing from thirdman. I also liked the the film of Ted McDonald bowling.

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
Just rediscovered this doc last night. Can't remember if someone has uploaded this earlier in this thread or in another, so i apologize if it's a repost. Some great footage throughout and an interview with The Tiger himself, O'Reilly.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Great video the bodyline one. Never thought I'd see the film of Bowes getting Bradman. Larwood looks decidedly quick.
First time I've seen footage of that dismissal as well. I can see why Bradman thought he was a bit unlucky to drag it on from where he hit it.

a massive zebra

International Captain
A fascinating documentary on Don Bradman featuring an informative interview and extensive archive footage.

Last edited:

watson

Banned
David Lord recalls the Brisbane Tied Test on 'Green and Gold Greats'.

There is also footage of the Valentine V Grout controversy during the final over of the deciding 5th Test. Four runs to win, two wickets in hand and the bail off. Did Grout step on his wicket, or was it the keepers glove? You be the judge.

Last edited:

a massive zebra

International Captain
K.S. Ranjitsinhji practising in the nets during the 1897-98 Ashes tour.

[video]http://player.bfi.org.uk/film/watch-prince-ranjitsinhji-practising-batting-at-the-nets-1897/[/video]

Absolutely priceless footage, this is believed to be the oldest surviving cricket film.

Last edited:

watson

Banned
Get the following message when I click the play button - 'This video is not authorised in your location'

:(

a massive zebra

International Captain
A fascinating documentary on the classic 1960-61 series between Australia and West Indies, featuring extensive interviews with players and plenty of archive footage: