• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Helmet or no helmet

Josh

International Regular
Chubb said:
I never wear a helmet. I got hit by one of the fastest bowlers in our league this year, Ollie Acheson, the ball glancing off the shoulder of the bat and into my face, but I just told them to get on with it, and when they asked if I wanted a helmet I said no. It was only a glancing blow but still, stupid rather than brave probably. Really the level I play there are very few bowlers who will bang in it short, this guy only had one over left as well, and I knew the other bowlers weren't as fast. I suspect if the standard was higher I would feel compelled to wear one. Most players in our league don't wear helmets.
My sentiments reflect this post quite well.

Son Of Coco

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Neil Pickup said:
I've had ball-and-face moments too often to bat without - unless it's a ridiculously low standard of bowling, The way I generally bat as a tailender facing quicks at the end of the innings (i.e. charging anyone and everyone) combined with a hideous lack of talent is likely to make me head for casualty before too long without.
That truly is a brave confession Neil...