• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Has "Ashes" cricket always referred only to Australia-England?

Matt79

Global Moderator
Surprising if it was a ghost writer though. It was a pretty controversial book when it first came out, as he accused both Ian Meckiff and Charlie Griffith of knowingly cheating and slams Sobers as a bad sport. He ended up having to remove the stuff about Meckiff from the reprints - and in all of that, I've never heard anything about it being done by a ghostwriter emerging during the washup - although Simpson never resiled from his views on the subject so maybe he didn't feel the need to flag that.

Matt79

Global Moderator
Not sure whether they still exist. It was originally published 40 years ago, and the reprint I have is thirty years old.

neville cardus

International Debutant
I'm asking because in his autobiography Bob Simpson clearly refers to tests between Australia-WI as "Ashes cricket". Not once, but half-a-dozen times - it wasn't a typo. In the context it appeared he was clearly using "Ashes" cricket to refer to being the contest between the two best teams in world cricket, and that Australia, which then held the Ashes could lose them to the WIs...

Maybe its just a personal thing with him, but I'm just wondering whether that interpretation used to be the common one, and the specification that its always Australia-England only came about once it was clear that that contest was necessarily the two best teams in the world?

Anyone got any ideas?
Bad ghost.