• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Harold Larwood VS Jacques Kallis

Better Cricketer

• Harold Larwood

Votes: 4 23.5%
  • Jacques Kallis

Votes: 13 76.5%

• Total voters

Cricket Bliss

School Boy/Girl Captain
This might be unpopular or controversial, but I personally feel Larwood was better!
Larwood was easily the best fast bowler of his era and at his peak was the only bowler who restricted Bradman to a human looking statistics from a herculean one. I guess that has more impact than what Kallis did in any part of his career, since it was the only Ashes which England won between 1930 and 1950 and the primary reason being Larwood.
Larwood was also handy with the Bat , His 98 against Australia at Sydney in 33’ was the highest test score by a night watchmen then. He can be a genuine 8 in many sides.

Last edited:

jcas0167

International Debutant
Not an apples with apples comparison. Larwood was a great bowler, probably better than Kallis (still an impressive 292 wickets at ~32) but in terms of their batting there is no comparison. Larwood averaged ~19 with the bat in first class and test cricket. Kallis averaged 55 over 166 games and has 45 test hundreds. His all-round stats are freakish.

Cricket Bliss

School Boy/Girl Captain
Not an apples with apples comparison. Larwood was a great bowler, probably better than Kallis (still an impressive 292 wickets at ~32) but in terms of their batting there is no comparison. Larwood averaged ~19 with the bat in first class and test cricket. Kallis averaged 55 over 166 games and has 45 test hundreds. His all-round stats are freakish.
I think if Larwood played in the 70s he would’ve been in the league of someone like Michael Holding and with that calibre and becoming handy with the bat… makes a comparison with Kallis.

I still think Larwood the sole reason why England won the Bodyline tour and that too their only Ashes victory between 1930 and 1950 and the least impressive tour of Bradman… overall the impact he made at peak was greater than what Kallis made anywhere in his entire career.

Nintendo

Cricketer Of The Year
I think if Larwood played in the 70s he would’ve been in the league of someone like Michael Holding and with that calibre and becoming handy with the bat… makes a comparison with Kallis.

I still think Larwood the sole reason why England won the Bodyline tour and that too their only Ashes victory between 1930 and 1950 and the least impressive tour of Bradman… overall the impact he made at peak was greater than what Kallis made anywhere in his entire career.
So hadlee>kallis>head?

Fuller Pilch

Hall of Fame Member
I'm a big Larwood fan but that would still make him inferior to Hadlee, Imran, and Marshall. Possibly not even as good as Patty Cummins.

Cricket Bliss

School Boy/Girl Captain
You need to Google Jack Cowie and Eddie Gilbert
Gilbert didn’t play Tests. His effect on Bradman was limited to just one First Class match, where his ball hit Bradman..
Don’t know about Cowie… if possible please tell what happened mate

Bradman only averaged less than 60 in one tour and that was that Ashes

Cricket Bliss

School Boy/Girl Captain
I'm a big Larwood fan but that would still make him inferior to Hadlee, Imran, and Marshall. Possibly not even as good as Patty Cummins.
Definitely not in that league. I guess with his pace and bounce and the impact he made he could possibly be in conversation with Michael Holding… That is too a speculation

Fuller Pilch

Hall of Fame Member
Don’t know about Cowie… if possible please tell what happened mate
NZ played South Australia in Adelaide in the late 1930s. Bradman was 11 not out overnight. A massive crowd had gathered outside and went home when Cowie had Bradman caught behind from the 1st ball of the 2nd day. The fans went home and NZ lost lots of money as they received a % of the gate takings.

Coronis

Cricketer Of The Year
Too bad Larwood was **** outside that series.

16 matches 45 wickets @ 34.84

Outside of that one series where all the stars aligned (can you imagine literally any other top pacer bowling with that setup and tell me the result would be any different?) he could at best put in one decent performance per series and even those stats are inflated by his matches against SA and Windies.

Hell even including that series he averages 30 against Australia. Its like calling Harbhajan an ATG for that B/G series… except he also had some other decent series.

capt_Luffy

International Debutant
Too bad Larwood was **** outside that series.

16 matches 45 wickets @ 34.84

Outside of that one series where all the stars aligned (can you imagine literally any other top pacer bowling with that setup and tell me the result would be any different?) he could at best put in one decent performance per series and even those stats are inflated by his matches against SA and Windies.

Hell even including that series he averages 30 against Australia. Its like calling Harbhajan an ATG for that B/G series… except he also had some other decent series.
That's kinda unfair to Larwood. He was forced to retire from Test despite not being particularly guilty and Jardine retaining captaincy; and he averaged well below 20s in the County circuit.

Coronis

Cricketer Of The Year
That's kinda unfair to Larwood. He was forced to retire from Test despite not being particularly guilty and Jardine retaining captaincy; and he averaged well below 20s in the County circuit.
He was **** outside that series, how is that being unfair? His best domestic performances were also before that series - I wouldn’t see his record improving much even if he continued to be selected.