• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Hamza positive doping tests

StephenZA

Hall of Fame Member
Yeah, Hamza really does not look like he takes performance enhancing drugs... will be interesting to see how this came about.

Stefan9

International Debutant
Yeah, Hamza really does not look like he takes performance enhancing drugs... will be interesting to see how this came about.
Took his wife's pills by accident? Isn't that the usual story.
Either way he is looking at a min of a 9 month ban.

StephenZA

Hall of Fame Member
Took his wife's pills by accident? Isn't that the usual story.
Either way he is looking at a min of a 9 month ban.
It will depend very much if he has taken something that was prescribed without knowing its prohibition. I would not be surprised to find out that Hamza does not really look at that sort of thing generally and goes about his life as normal. How often are the provincial players actually checked or aware of these things? Hamzas call up was kinda unexpected with Petersen out with Covid.

Magrat Garlick

Global Moderator
"The positive test relates to the substance furosemide, which is not a performance-enhancing substance, and Zubayr has been able to identify how the substance entered his system.

The process to follow will entail presenting evidence that there was no fault or negligence, or no significant fault or negligence on the part of Zubayr."

this doesn't read to me like a nine-month ban is the minimum

10.6 Reduction of the Period of Ineligibility based on No Significant Fault or Negligence
10.6.1 Reduction of the Period of Ineligibility for Specified Substances, Specified Methods
or Contaminated Products or in the case of Protected Persons or Recreational
Athletes for violations of Articles 2.1, 2.2 or 2.6.
All reductions under Article 10.6.1 are mutually exclusive and not cumulative.
10.6.1.1 Specified Substances or Specified Methods
Where the anti-doping rule violation involves a Specified Substance
(other than a Substance of Abuse) or Specified Method, and the Player
or other Person can establish No Significant Fault or Negligence, then
the period of Ineligibility shall be, at a minimum, a reprimand and no
period of Ineligibility
, and at a maximum, two years of Ineligibility,
depending on the Player or other Person’s degree of Fault.

Stefan9

International Debutant
It will depend very much if he has taken something that was prescribed without knowing its prohibition. I would not be surprised to find out that Hamza does not really look at that sort of thing generally and goes about his life as normal. How often are the provincial players actually checked or aware of these things? Hamzas call up was kinda unexpected with Petersen out with Covid.
Even if it's accidental you don't get of free.
Take the example of andre onana (Ajax and cameroon) goalkeeper. Took his wife's medicine by accident as the container looks exactly the same.
Got banned for 12 months and only on appeal was he able to reduce it to 9 months.

For a more cricketing example warnie was done for 12 months.

From what I read the substance is on the banned list diuretic. Used to hide other drugs not to enhance performance.

StephenZA

Hall of Fame Member
The diuretic is generally banned because they help hide and pass the drugs that are performance enhancing (or maybe just enhancing)... but my point is if he was prescribed it by a doctor for genuine reason that he can show, he probably would not even have thought about the worry of getting tested at that stage because he was not in line to be playing international cricket. I`m unsure how often they even test at provincial level.

Dendarii

International Debutant
It will depend very much if he has taken something that was prescribed without knowing its prohibition. I would not be surprised to find out that Hamza does not really look at that sort of thing generally and goes about his life as normal.
I don't know how it is with cricket players, but through second-hand knowledge I believe that provincial rugby players get given a long list of of things they're not allowed to take, and are made fully aware that they need to be careful of anything they take.

Dendarii

International Debutant
Even if it's accidental you don't get of free.
Take the example of andre onana (Ajax and cameroon) goalkeeper. Took his wife's medicine by accident as the container looks exactly the same.
Got banned for 12 months and only on appeal was he able to reduce it to 9 months.

For a more cricketing example warnie was done for 12 months.

From what I read the substance is on the banned list diuretic. Used to hide other drugs not to enhance performance.
Onana's problem would have been that it's very hard to prove that it was an accident, and I think Warne claimed that he took some pills his mom gave him. If Hamza has a paper trail indicating how he came to take it (which the article suggests he does) then he may get a stern talking to for not being more careful in being aware and/or reporting what he was given, but otherwise might escape any punishment.

Stefan9

International Debutant
Onana's problem would have been that it's very hard to prove that it was an accident, and I think Warne claimed that he took some pills his mom gave him. If Hamza has a paper trail indicating how he came to take it (which the article suggests he does) then he may get a stern talking to for not being more careful in being aware and/or reporting what he was given, but otherwise might escape any punishment.
Wouldn't have gotten the reduction if the courts didn't believe him.

A Paper trail would prove where he got it but would not mean escaping punishment. All players have access to the banned list and would have attended anti drug workshops.

Sporting bodies & courts very rarely accept ignorance as an excuse.

Prithiv Shaw got hit for 8 months for taking cough syrup that contained a diuretic. It was a lenient sentence as he cooperated and admitted his mistake.

At the end of the day you are responsible for what you put in your body. As a professional athlete you need to be very careful.

StephenZA

Hall of Fame Member
Its going to come down to the details... why it was prescribed, what was the alternative, was the doctor aware, was he aware, did he say anything before the test. We shall see how it plays out...

Migara

Cricketer Of The Year
This was the case with Upul Tharanga some time back. He went to a traditional healer and he has prescribed a sort of snake oil, with added prednisolone in it. Tharanga was able to prove that he has obtained the medication from a registered traditional healer. He was given a reprimand and ban was overturned.

Stefan9

International Debutant
This was the case with Upul Tharanga some time back. He went to a traditional healer and he has prescribed a sort of snake oil, with added prednisolone in it. Tharanga was able to prove that he has obtained the medication from a registered traditional healer. He was given a reprimand and ban was overturned.
That was 10 years ago. I have serious doubts it will work now with all the anti doping workshops around.
Also Upul was banned for 3 months. Unless there is a second doping case of him?

Migara

Cricketer Of The Year
That was 10 years ago. I have serious doubts it will work now with all the anti doping workshops around.
Also Upul was banned for 3 months. Unless there is a second doping case of him?

That 3 months was until it was overturned. He was looking at a much lengthier one. It was super stupid for him to go to a snake-oil-merchant for a medical problem.

KJP got a false positive and stayed banned for a year!

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Can’t believe an established sporting regulation was adjusted for a SL player.

Stefan9

International Debutant
In today's rapport Hamza says he and his legal are trying for leniency and hoping for a ban of only 12 months to 18 months.