• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

GROUP D - India, Pakistan, Scotland

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
Why would Pakistan make Asif play this format? He's their best and brightest hope, last thing you want him to do is start bowling defensively.

Run like Inzy

U19 12th Man
I think Asif would have enjoyed bowling on a pitch with a little more pace. Gul has been successful IMO because of his ability to generate 4-5 MPH of extra pace in comparison with Asif.

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
Why would Pakistan make Asif play this format? He's their best and brightest hope, last thing you want him to do is start bowling defensively.
Presumably because his their best bowler and has the second best figures in Pakistani domestic 20/20 cricket of 5 for 11…

nightprowler10

Global Moderator
He got mauled a couple of times in ODIs by India but came back to Tests with full aggression. I'm sure he can tell the difference in the mindset needed between the two formats.

Xuhaib

International Coach
Its good for him allows him to learn some variations. A predominantly L&L bowler needs to have other tools aswell if he wants to succeed in all conditions

Xuhaib

International Coach
Some interesting comments on another site

"Pakistan had their normal group circle just before going out to field and normally its the captains job to give a few wise words etc.. It was interesting to see that afridi was the one giving this talk rather than malik....Maybe shoaib akthar has a valid point about afridi wanting to be captain"

Last edited:

nightprowler10

Global Moderator
Some interesting comments on another sit.

"Pakistan had their normal group circle just before going out to field and normally its the captains job to give a few wise words etc.. It was interesting to see that afridi was the one giving this talk rather than malik....Maybe shoaib akthar has a valid point about afridi wanting to be captain"
Yeah I noticed this as well. Afridi probably gets away with it as well what with Malik's passive nature.

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
Why is Afridi is allowed such a dominant role within the team, he is hardly a Murali or Lara in the team.
His a senior player who has the respect of Malik, he should have a dominate role given his experience.

Xuhaib

International Coach
Enjoyed the last game TBH.

Just like in ODI's where 230-270 range produce the best games, it seems in T/20 the range of 150-170 will produce the better games. Last evening game was as awful as that 434-438 game.

Athlai

Not Terrible
Enjoyed the last game TBH.

Just like in ODI's where 230-270 range produce the best games, it seems in T/20 the range of 150-170 will produce the better games. Last evening game was as awful as that 434-438 game.
Most exciting match I have ever seen was the final CH match were NZ chased a score of 340.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Far out, another one.

Whilst I am far from a fan of Twenty20 cricket, Asif isn't going to suddenly bowl defensively in test cricket because he's played this World Cup.

People act as if bowlers like Monty and Asif are 2 year olds. Seriously, Asif isn't going to be influenced how to bowl in tests because of any limited overs cricket. He is a very very intelligent cricketer, and you only need to read his interview on Cricinfo to see that.

Athlai

Not Terrible
Quite a poor match from what I remember, the quality of cricket especially the bowling was utterly rubbish.
To be perfectly honest some of the bowlers were perfectly on song especially for Australia, a one wicket victory in the last over is always a grand match, Tait completely skittled our top order and Bracken went for nothing but Fulton began playing some beautiful strokes and from there momenteum built.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Quite a poor match from what I remember, the quality of cricket especially the bowling was utterly rubbish.
To be fair to him (and in general I agree with you), he said most exciting and not 'best'.

Poor quality matches can be exciting.