• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Group B - Sri Lanka, India, Bangladesh, Bermuda

Mahindinho

State Vice-Captain
50s for both Mahela and Sanga now :)

Hopefully this'll be the innings that Mahela needs to get back into form...dropped twice already by The Fat Man, though.

Magrat Garlick

Global Moderator
Bermuda are...so...atrocious.

Why couldn't Denmark have won that game two years ago? We'd be a hundredfold chanting "vi er røde, vi er hvide" down in Trinidad now... :mellow:

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
They're dire because their amateurs compared to professional cricketers.TBH they shouldn't be at the WC as they're just getting embarrased especially with the bat.
So are Scotland, Holland, Ireland and Canada.

Bermuda are still a class below those four. On these showings they'd struggle in an English County Premier League.

Pup Clarke

Cricketer Of The Year
So are Scotland, Holland, Ireland and Canada.

Bermuda are still a class below those four. On these showings they'd struggle in an English County Premier League.
Bermuda IMO are way below Scotland and Ireland and still quite far behind Holland and Canada.The other associates deserve to be hear but not Bermuda.I'd hardly call Scotland and Ireland "dire" however.At least both of these teams can at least hold a bat and bowl reasonably well.

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
I wasn't calling them dire; I was pointing out that the excuse of being amateur didn't hold water to explain Bermuda's incompetence as the other four associates are also amateur, and, as you point out, at least vaguely talented.

Natman20

International Debutant
I don't think anyone should be called dire. I think it is racially discriminative and should not be used on these forums.

:ph34r: (Hopes people will stop using 'dire')

Pup Clarke

Cricketer Of The Year
I was pointing out that the excuse of being amateur didn't hold water to explain Bermuda's incompetence as the .
It's not Bermuda's fault that their so bad.They just shouldn't be at the WC.It's as simple as that.They are just going to get embarassed in all three of their games and it really isn't good for cricket or for Bermuda in helping them to develop.

Evermind

International Debutant
It's not Bermuda's fault that their so bad.They just shouldn't be at the WC.It's as simple as that.They are just going to get embarassed in all three of their games and it really isn't good for cricket or for Bermuda in helping them to develop.
Their population is 66,000 or so. How far do you think they're gonna develop?

But yes, agreed that they certainly shouldn't be at the WC. There should be at most 4 teams outside the top 8 - Bangladesh for sure, then maybe Kenya, and the rest of them can fight it out for the other 2 places.

From what I see, Bangladesh will no doubt become a fully competent team like SL in the next decade or so. Scotland and Ireland do have a promising future - they have the population and the interest to support the game (history of cricket in the UK - but I'm not sure how much interest the game has historically commanded outside of England). But I'm really not so sure about Bermuda and some of the other teams. Is there a future for cricket there?

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
Population means nothing. Australia > India, and they have 983,000,000 more people than them (aprox).
Population does mean something. The Australia > India is due to a hundred different things (infrastructure, coaching, boards, no opportunities for kids), and the only reason India is even able to stay competitive is that it has a big population to draw from. It becomes extremely hard to learn how to play proper cricket when 95% of the population only has a concrete road for a ''pitch", a 15-yard open space as a field and a tennis ball to play with.

Last edited: