• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Greg Chappell

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
I reckon Ganguly's, whilst interesting, would be skewed just as much as Greg's. Its like polar opposites.

Tendulkar's, whilst I'm sure there'd be bias against Chappell in many parts, would be more interesting because he was almost just an observer on the outside for most of it, with Dravid, Ganguly and Chappell the main ones involved, and then all the other mess with Harbhajan and whatever crap. He obviously had sides, but was out of it until the very end where the **** hit the fan, and he thought Chappell questioned his committment etc. etc.

I'm sure one day both will release autobiographies and we'll get their side of the story. I'm very positive that Ganguly will release one at least. Tendulkar ya never know.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I was wondering whether some of the Indian supporters on here can tell me whether any/ how many ofthe current ODI/ T20 squad were young blokes ID'ed and promoted by Chappell?

jeevan

International 12th Man
I reckon Ganguly's, whilst interesting, would be skewed just as much as Greg's. Its like polar opposites.

Tendulkar's, whilst I'm sure there'd be bias against Chappell in many parts, would be more interesting because he was almost just an observer on the outside for most of it, with Dravid, Ganguly and Chappell the main ones involved, and then all the other mess with Harbhajan and whatever crap. He obviously had sides, but was out of it until the very end where the **** hit the fan, and he thought Chappell questioned his committment etc. etc.

I'm sure one day both will release autobiographies and we'll get their side of the story. I'm very positive that Ganguly will release one at least. Tendulkar ya never know.
The most instructive version of events may be Kumble's actually. Ganguly and Tendulkar were going through personal form slumps mixed in with any team changes and any personal tussles with Chappell (or Dravid).

Kumble, in tests, was doing quite solidly throughout 2005-2007 and is a mature & intelligent cricket brain to boot.

jeevan

International 12th Man
I was wondering whether some of the Indian supporters on here can tell me whether any/ how many ofthe current ODI/ T20 squad were young blokes ID'ed and promoted by Chappell?
Sreesanth ID'ed (seemingly from nowhere), debuted and groomed by GC
Raina " " " (seems like)
Pathan: was hot stuff already but promoted into a larger role by GC

RP debuted during, but not clear to what extent the GC influence was. Certainly got a lot better afterwards.
Munaf, Uthappa debuted during Chappell's watch - not clear what his influence is.

The Sharmas (Rohit, Ishant) distinctly came later. Yuvraj, Karthik, Gambhir came earlier.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
The dead silence Zaheer gives when he's asked if Greg Chappell did anything good as coach during his tenure was hilarious :laugh:

Top_Cat

The dead silence Zaheer gives when he's asked if Greg Chappell did anything good as coach during his tenure was hilarious :laugh:
Found that petty, tbh. Fair enough if GChappell is your U/19's coach but at 30 with more a decade of Tests behind you, grow up.

Last edited:

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Easy to say it when you're not the one who felt your career was over at the hands of the guy. Obviously Zaheer felt he was treated pretty poorly. The whole thing is from his perspective and his experience.

Plus he eventually thought of an answer, and mentioned the young kids brought in.

Top_Cat

Still, about time they all moved on, eh? Perhaps I'm being a bit hard on Zaheer, I know Deitz, Willo and Grimy still grit their teeth whenever GC's name is mentioned but, unlike Zaheer, their careers were ended by him. I could understand some bitterness at the time but now when he's the leader of the attack, one of the best performed Test bowlers in the world and well on the way to 100 Tests?

Honestly, though, I was never that sympathetic to the BCCI about the whole situation (do feel a bit sorry for the poor ****s who end up in his sights, though). Chappell went over to India and did what Chappell has been well known for doing forever having just done the same damn thing to SA. Was the most nonsensical decision ever to hire him in the first place. I was away from CW at the time but I do remember saying exactly this to friends when I heard they hired him, absolutely none of what happened surprised anyone with knowledge of the man. I find it unlikely the BCCI had no idea either, maybe brought him in on the basis of identifying new talent and hoped he wouldn't go too hard at the older guys.

And now CA has repeated the mistake. And the side is losing and looking like dropping even further in the next year. Oye.

EDIT: In fairness to BCCI, his behaviour probably was a new low for him in terms of the publicity he courted and how unrepentant he was. On the other hand, his time here should have been a harbinger of what was to come behind the scenes.

Last edited:

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
I have no doubt he at least vaguely told the BCCI how he wanted to tackle being coach, i.e. youth policy. So the BCCI should have known what was coming.

In fairness to Zaheer, he was asked a question and answered it in an honest manner. He didn't insult Chappell as a person, just said how he felt during the time Chappell was coach.

vcs

Sreesanth ID'ed (seemingly from nowhere), debuted and groomed by GC
Raina " " " (seems like)
Pathan: was hot stuff already but promoted into a larger role by GC

RP debuted during, but not clear to what extent the GC influence was. Certainly got a lot better afterwards.
Munaf, Uthappa debuted during Chappell's watch - not clear what his influence is.

The Sharmas (Rohit, Ishant) distinctly came later. Yuvraj, Karthik, Gambhir came earlier.
Not a fan of Chappell, but you've missed the most obvious guy who came through in his time.

EDIT : Wait a minute, Dhoni might have actually debuted in John Wright's last series against Pakistan in 2005 (ODIs where we lost 4-2 after winning the first 2 games). Not sure though.

Last edited:

G.I.Joe

International Coach
Players coming through in a coach's time isn't necessarily a plus for the latter though, unless he'd personally scouted and handpicked those particular players. To Chappell's credit, Raina is on record stating that he benefitted from his coaching, can't say the same for the others. Definitely not so for Pathan, who IMO actually regressed as a bowler towards the end of Chappell's tenure. And probably not so in the case of Dhoni too, who seems to me to be pretty self-driven and his own man. Sreesanth and RP are neither here nor there. IMO, Chappell's tenure happened to coincide with a phase in Indian cricket that saw the influx of fresh young talent, and thats probably all there is to it.

Xuhaib

International Coach
Can't totally blame Chappel on Irfan's downfall sure his slide started during GC era but imo he always lacked the drive to be a WC performer maybe even talent.Greg has now been gone for 4 years yet he has not even made an attempt to comeback as a better cricketer and is still at the same place as he was 4 years back.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
What makes you think Irfan lacked drive?

If anything he always seemed an enthusiastic player that was willing to be a team man. Would open, bat 3, do whatever he wanted. Despite bowling slow as **** he was still fit and was a very good fielder.

Lacked talent and wasn't coached well imo. Didn't lack drive.

Last edited:

centurymaker

Cricketer Of The Year
What makes you think Irfan lacked drive?

If anything he always seemed an enthusiastic player that was willing to be a team man. Would open, bat 3, do whatever he wanted. Despite bowling slow as **** he was still fit and was a very good fielder.

Lacked talent and wasn't coached well imo. Didn't lak=ck drive.
missed the backspace it seems

jeevan

International 12th Man
Not a fan of Chappell, but you've missed the most obvious guy who came through in his time.

EDIT : Wait a minute, Dhoni might have actually debuted in John Wright's last series against Pakistan in 2005 (ODIs where we lost 4-2 after winning the first 2 games). Not sure though.
I did forget Dhoni, WAG easy to forget that he was an up-and-comer just 6 years ago.

Dhoni's debut - in ODIs - preceded GC by ~ 6 months. By which time he had also hit 'that' ton vs Pakistan.He did make his test debut in GC's tenure - but had sort of become an obvious one to try out by then as India - once again - was playing musical chairs with keepers in tests (Parthiv, Karthik and then Dhoni).

Last edited: