• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Greg Chappell vs Virat Kohli

Who is the better test batsman?

• Total voters

kyear2

Cricketer Of The Year
MY not be fair or applicable, but Chappell's dominance in WSC pushes him just that much higher for me.

Coronis

Cricketer Of The Year
70 out of 87 tests in Australia and England. And this wasn’t in the 1930s / 1940s. Huge red flag relative to other great bats
And his record in those other 17 tests is outstanding - 1575 @ 65.62 - so I don’t see the issue. It would be ideal if he’d played more in other conditions but as he’s clearly proven, he had no trouble succeeding in them.

PlayerComparisons

International Debutant
No, it's not. Chappell has a much more well rounded record and doesn't have the Kohli 5-years; for which I think Kohli is getting a very generous pass.
Don’t think having a “well rounded” record matters too much here. Kohli is as complete a player as Greg.

Fair enough on Kohlis last 5 years. Hopefully he has a few more good years

OverratedSanity

Request Your Custom Title Now!
And his record in those other 17 tests is outstanding - 1575 @ 65.62 - so I don’t see the issue. It would be ideal if he’d played more in other conditions but as he’s clearly proven, he had no trouble succeeding in them.
- One tour of WI in 1973, well before the WI pace bowling battery formed.
- One tour of Pakistan and padded his stats with a double ton on a flat deck in a game Imran Khan missed. Failed on the spin friendly pitch.
- One great ton in NZ, but the rest of his NZ runs are padded by smashing Hadlee. Dayle Hadlee.
- Didn't tour India
- The only country he actually toured consistently was England, and he only averaged a shade over 40

Most fraudulent away record ever. Still better than Kohli tho.

PlayerComparisons

International Debutant
- One tour of Pakistan and padded his stats with a double ton on a flat deck in a game Imran Khan missed. Failed on the spin friendly pitch.
- One great ton in NZ, but the rest of his NZ runs are padded by smashing Hadlee. Dayle Hadlee.
- Didn't tour India
- The only country he actually toured consistently was England, and he only averaged a shade over 40

He did have the ATG series in WI in WSC tbf but it’s debatable whether he should get credit for that

capt_Luffy

International Debutant
- Didn't tour India

Not away performances, but isn't 1975 Australia tour used to hype up Richards as he scored 426 runs there @37 against Lillee and Thomson; Greg scored 700 @117 against Roberts and Holding. Also was one of the only three batsmen to dominate in WSC. But yeah, he doesn't have Viv or Sunny's work away to justify being in their tier imo. Still a tier above Virat though.

ma1978

International 12th Man
WSC is not test cricket, doesn’t count and I’ve heard all the arguments that it was the hardest cricket ever fought etc. It’s not international test crixket

ankitj

Hall of Fame Member
Kohli was destined to be one of top 20 all time test batsman before the pandemic struck. Now he barely scraps into top 40