• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Greatest/worst stone wallers?

C_C

International Captain
I've seen AB bat less than a dozen times - and what struck me is that while his defence was very solid, his offside strokes looked clumsy and as if he was heaving away.

Swervy

International Captain
C_C said:
I've seen AB bat less than a dozen times - and what struck me is that while his defence was very solid, his offside strokes looked clumsy and as if he was heaving away.
you must have caught him on bad days then CC, he certainly could play on the offside very very effectively, it just never looked as flashy as some players, but technically very sound on those types of shots

JASON

Cricketer Of The Year
Mudassar Nazar (slowest century in history of test cricket 557 minutes Pak v England Lords 1977-8 + one of the slowest fifties 270 minutes + second fewest runs in a day in history of test cricket - 52 runs v England Lahore 1977-8 [only second to India's Jaisimha who made just 49 runs batting a whole day] ):laugh:

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
I have watched almost every innings of Gavaskar and I can tell you he wasnt boring to watch. He was a perfectionist and very graceful and stylish unlike Boycott.

He also played every stroke in the book and played them to perfection. He did not lift the ball in the air except at the fag end of his career and everyone of his boundaries (and he hit a very high proportion) would go screaming along the carpet. He played perfect square cuts beautiful cover and extra copver drives, delectable late cuts, lovely on drives and controlled flicks to square leg and mid on, pulled with ferocity, drove handsomely off the backfoot on the off side and off his hip on the on.

He hooked during his triumphant first series in Windies but gave it up during his second(less successful series) in England the same year and started hooking again at the end of his career.

He was a delight to watch but he did firmly believed in Sobers' advise that if a ball is going outside the stumps you should leave it alone unless you can score off it. Not having Sobers' aggressive make up he left a large number of them alone which still looked good because it was done to some of the best bfast bowlers in the world and to their best deliveries with good feet movement and stumps well covered.

No. It never looked boring.

He also was a delightful player of spin bowling and moved out of his crease with nimble footwork.

He did not score very fast but at 2.53 runs an over (for the 71 matches and nearly 5500 runs for which stats are available) isnt that bad for an opener in an Indian side that depended heavily upon his score to stay alive. India scored at a rate of 2.89 during this period thanks to people like Kapil Dev. But Gavaskar's run rate wasnt that of a slow coach and he wasnt never boring to watch.

He wasn't a great one day player with his reluctance to deviate from the technically correct and his refusal to hit in the air for most of his career. He did try to make up later but his reputaion had been tarred by some of his earlier one day innings particulrly the notorious 36 not out in 60 inexplicable overs in the 1975 world cup.

If there was a Gavaskar playing today, I assure you people would flock to watch him AND he would score double and triple hundreds galore against most bowlers who are bowling today.

PS : At 42.81 per 100 balls , his strike rate is marginally better than Dravids current one of 42.01 !! :)

Last edited:

andyc

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Geoff Allott. Anyone who can bat for 77 balls without scoring a run must have a decent defence. A list of similarly painful innings can be found here